6 of 39
What are you reading?
Posted: 18 April 2010 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05

I just finished All the Little Live Things by Wallace Stegner. One of the best pieces of fiction I have had the pleasure to read. I wish I had known of this book in 1968 when it was originally published.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 18 April 2010 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Total Posts:  2425
Joined  2007-07-05

I just rediscovered some mindless drivel.  It is free in Australia but not in the states.  I tried to get it in the timeline sequence of Conan’s fictional life.  I am not sure it is quite correct.  With all of the Conan sites I couldn’t find it ordered that way.

AU,Conan - The Hyborian Age
http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0603571.txt

AU,Conan - Gods of the North
http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0600751.txt

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 19 April 2010 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17
Chudwick - 18 April 2010 10:56 AM

a barrage of baby books - seeing as I’m a new father - including some Piaget…

Congratulations!!

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 20 April 2010 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2009-02-28

I think this is just about the bibliography and extended bibliography for my master’s thesis (not including essays, speeches, etc—just books):

Being Good—Simon Blackburn
The Secular Conscience—Austin Dacey
Divided by God—Noah Feldman
The End of Faith—Sam Harris
Freethinkers—Susan Jacoby
The Age of American Unreason—Susan Jacoby
Moral Relativism—Stephen Lukes
On Liberty—John Stuart Mill
Political Philosophy—David Miller
The Audacity of Hope—Barack Obama
The Problems With Philosophy—Bertrand Russell
A Secular Age—Charles Taylor
Dynamics of Faith—Paul Tillich
Primates and Philosophers—Frans De Wall

Posted: 20 April 2010 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Total Posts:  1777
Joined  2007-10-22

Currently reading “Emperor of China -Self Portrait of Kanghsi” by Jonathan D Spence and Word Mythology 3rd ed by Donna Rosenberg.  Just finished Singing in a Strange Land a biography of C. L. Franklin by Nick Salvatore and The American Plague about the Yellow Fever in the US by Molly Caldwell Crosby.

[ Edited: 20 April 2010 05:28 PM by garythehuman ]
 Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 20 April 2010 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Total Posts:  1777
Joined  2007-10-22

Michael:

I think this is just about the bibliography and extended bibliography for my master’s thesis (not including essays, speeches, etc—just books:

I have read many of these, but I think you are missing one of the most important, particularly for a thesis, Daniel Dennett’s Breaking the Spell.

Gary the Human

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 27 April 2010 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

I’ve been reading The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 27 April 2010 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2009-10-31

I finally finished In Defense of Food, by Pollan, and I’m starting The God Delusion next, I think.

Posted: 28 April 2010 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Total Posts:  2425
Joined  2007-07-05
Dead Monky - 27 April 2010 08:23 AM

I’ve been reading The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling.

You might find this interesting:

The Two Faces Of Tomorrow by James P. Hogan
http://www.webscription.net/chapters/0671878484/0671878484.htm

It is also computer related.  Not steam punk tho.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 28 April 2010 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17

I’ve switched over to fiction for a bit of escapism…

Currently I’m reading Merlin by Stephen Lawhead, the second book in his Pendragon Cycle. Funny thing is… It’s one of the first Arthurian series I’ve read that has so much Christianity in it. wink But I think it’s a very interesting interpretation of the tale.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 13 July 2010 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2010-01-03

Currently flipping back and forth with:

Collapse by Jared Diamond
Why People Believe Weird Things (2002 edition) by Michael Shermer
I am America (And so can you) by Stephen Colbert et al.

On deck:
The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins
An Enquiry concerning Human Understanding by David Hume
Drive by Daniel Pink (maybe)

Signature 

I live in a world of lighthouses. However, my friends are living in sunny tranquility.

Posted: 15 July 2010 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Total Posts:  633
Joined  2007-12-10

this week I read nineteen eighty-four, a brave new world, and am reading the catcher in the rye, and when I’m finished with that Gravity’s rainbow.

I am so broke I can no longer afford television and I am using the internet in my research lab right now it has forced me to read.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 23 July 2010 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09

Given my situation I wind up listening to many books on tape, and though I know it’s not as good as actually sitting down reading a book - if you’re always on the move they are much better than nothing.  And the good stuff can always be listened to more than once for better absorption.

The past few weeks there was Ayn Rand’s “Atlas Shrugged” an awfully contrived fairy tale.
Fortunately, that was offset by evening reading of “Macho!” by Victor Villasenor - excellent book - especially for someone interested in actual “Objectivism.” Villasenor is a first class story teller doing a wonderful job portraying the intricacies of the human spirit and struggle to get ahead, or just get by.  (This is one of his first novels - also highly recommended is [dancing the] “Wild Steps of Heaven” an epic historic novel of Mexico and the women who held society together, while the men were off doing their chest thumping stuff.)

For a light hearted interlude “The Danger” by Dick Francis.  A dime crimi, but I really like the way the guy tells a story and his character dialogue seems more realistic than most.  My big challenge with him is trying to figure out exactly why I find him so much ‘nicer’ to listen to than other dime crimi’s.

Now I’m back to relistening to the “Cadillac Desert” by Marc Reisner.  Serious chewing as it’s a history of western water development.  Here is another book for anyone interested in real “Objectivism” and examining human greed and dynamics in action in the real world as opposed to Rand’s fantasies. 

I must mention my steady companion worth many more rereads “Ancient Landscapes - of the Colorado Plateau”  By Ron Blakey and Wayne Ranney.  Awesome explanation and description of the geological development of the southwest.  These folks have developed a new method for mapping geologic data that’s more informative and way more beautiful and realistic than anything ever done before.  A true quantum leap in visually presenting Earth’s evolution.  The author has kidded it’s sort of like Playboy in that too many just look at the pictures and overlook the articles.  But, only by reading the words can the full story be appreciated.

On tap: “Balkan Ghosts” by Robert Kaplan given to me by my Mom - a little history of my ancestral digs (I’m a quarter Hungarian).

[ Edited: 28 July 2010 04:34 PM by citizenschallenge ]
 Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 30 July 2010 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09

Why do I feel like I poured cold water on this thread.  Doesn’t anyone want to discuss the books they are reading?

Incidentally, “Balkan Ghosts” was an amazing, enlightening, if disheartening book.  It opened up an understanding, well the beginnings of a glimmer, to the complexities and background of the Balkans.  A real eye opener.  In some ways it even adds a little light to the human character of the politics of the extreme right with their faith based, reality starved outlook on politics and where it may lead us.

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 31 July 2010 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
citizenschallenge - 23 July 2010 09:56 AM

[...]I wind up listening to many books on tape, and though I know it’s not as good as actually sitting down reading a book[...]

Why do you think it’s not “as good as sitting down reading a book”?

[ Edited: 31 July 2010 06:23 AM by George ]

6 of 39

‹‹ Eckhart Tolle (Merged)      Swine flu ››