2 of 3
Where have all the podcasts gone?
Posted: 05 May 2009 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  174
Joined  2007-02-21

It’s not that we haven’t had new episodes for a month, we have just been playing catchup since the hard drive failure and backdating the episodes.  We have recorded a number of interviews and they are just waiting on me to produce the episodes.  While I am in law school and currently in the middle of exams, I have managed to get two episodes out this week, and imagine I will have another done this weekend.  We are really happy everyone enjoys the show so much. I look forward to hearing comments about our latest one.  It is one of my favorites and I know D.J. feels this way too.

Cheers!

Thomas

Posted: 05 May 2009 11:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11

Thanks, we always appreciate your hard work!! grin

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 06 May 2009 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2007-12-09

Yes, muchas gracias!

But for Pete’s sake, your exams are really important - we can wait!!!!

I know what a black hole law school is, especially at crunch time - been there, done that.

May your blue books be filled with great analysis and insight!

Signature 

Brad

Posted: 30 June 2009 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-06-30

Greetings.  I’m new to the forum, and I know that I should stick with introducing myself and quietly lurking until I get a feel for things.  However, I’m very curious to know if there has been any further word on when we can expect new podcasts.  It’s been six weeks since Dale McGowan.

I know that there was a hard drive failure and that Thomas Donnelly has been in the middle of exams.  D.J. Grothe was talking about adopting a child; could it be that he’s home on paternity leave?

Can anyone tell us when we can expect the next episode?  I’m going through some withdrawal here.

D

Posted: 30 June 2009 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  7540
Joined  2007-03-02

There have been new podcasts recently.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 30 June 2009 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-30

More recently than Dale McGowan on May 15th?  I don’t see any indication on the website or on iTunes.  Am I missing them?

D

Posted: 30 June 2009 07:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I got a new one last week on iTunes/iPod on raising secular kids- I think that was the last one.  I’ve had no trouble getting new ones.  Are you subscribed to PoI?

Yes, the one on raising freethinkers was the last one, but it was in this month- June.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 30 June 2009 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-30

Hmmm….The date on that podcast was 5/15.  Was it not sent out until last week?  I can’t know for sure—I got it last week, but only after my computer problems necessitated my resubscribing to the podcast.  I suppose the interview was on 5/15.

Posted: 30 June 2009 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Yes, it was sent out last week.  I was looking at the date differences just now, but I have no idea why the dates are different.  Human error between posting date and actual uploading onto iTunes?  OR maybe they were pre-recorded and sent out to us later due to some sort of summer hiatus.  I don’t know.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 30 June 2009 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  403
Joined  2007-08-26
Mriana - 30 June 2009 07:36 AM

Yes, it was sent out last week.  I was looking at the date differences just now, but I have no idea why the dates are different.  Human error between posting date and actual uploading onto iTunes?  OR maybe they were pre-recorded and sent out to us later due to some sort of summer hiatus.  I don’t know.

I suspect they’re recovering the lost ones from back when they had the catastrophic backup failure, and the timestamp is the date they were actually recorded.

Signature 

—————————————————
http://www.StephenJGallagher.com
http://StephenJGallagher.blogspot.com

Posted: 01 July 2009 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  4726
Joined  2007-10-05
steveg144 - 30 June 2009 07:43 AM

I suspect they’re recovering the lost ones from back when they had the catastrophic backup failure, and the timestamp is the date they were actually recorded.

The “catastrophic backup failure” was the admin erasing the backup before going on vacation. I know he’s a law student, and most likely a volunteer, but I am weary of people glossing over the sheer ignorance of that act, and I do not want to see history rewritten to make the guilty look less culpable. There is no excuse for erasing the only backup when hard drives cost less than $100 per terabyte. I have several 250GB hard drives gathering dust around here. If POI needs drive space they need only ask.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 02 July 2009 02:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  403
Joined  2007-08-26
fotobits - 01 July 2009 06:55 PM
steveg144 - 30 June 2009 07:43 AM

The “catastrophic backup failure” was the admin erasing the backup before going on vacation. I know he’s a law student, and most likely a volunteer, but I am weary of people glossing over the sheer ignorance of that act, and I do not want to see history rewritten to make the guilty look less culpable. There is no excuse for erasing the only backup when hard drives cost less than $100 per terabyte. I have several 250GB hard drives gathering dust around here. If POI needs drive space they need only ask.

No argument there. As someone who works in I/T, I think of “backup” as an entire “process”. When we in I/T speak of a “catastrophic backup failure” it generally means that a particular customer’s process is broken. It’s very rare for an original and its backups to all go south (I’ve seen it happen exactly once in 25+ years) but “broken processes” are incredibly common, and the point of failure 9 times out of 10 is a human being who screwed the pooch, as happened here.

Signature 

—————————————————
http://www.StephenJGallagher.com
http://StephenJGallagher.blogspot.com

Posted: 02 July 2009 03:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  4726
Joined  2007-10-05

Steve,

Thanks for the explanation. I’ve worked in I/T also (small networks, mostly Macs) and have been preaching the importance of regular backups for more than 20 years. Everything on my home computer is backed up redundantly. When I read where Thomas said he erased the only backup then went on vacation my jaw almost hit my keyboard. I’d be too embarrassed to admit doing such a blatantly foolish thing. It is akin to playing golf in a thunderstorm.

Darron

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 02 July 2009 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2007-08-11

There have been some pretty nasty/snippy comments here…
If some of you feel that strongly, maybe you should ask for a refund?

Oh wait, this is a free service. No money spent (from what I understand, it’s not promised when you joint cfi).

I missed the shows, but I don’t feel I’m somehow entitled to weekly episodes without fail, and I’m certainly not going to get upset that someone made a technical mistake - I’d imagine there was a lesson learned before some of you were able to do all that “tut-tut, you should know better”.

Anyway, delighted to hear they’re back on track, best to those involved in the show.

KIS

Signature 

“Our world was brutal, immoral, smug and conventional. We had unbounded contempt for all those who did not sin as we sinned.” Jim Tully Circus Parade

“Books are not absolutely dead things, but do contain a potency of life in them to be as active as that soul whose progeny they are; nay they do preserve as in a vial the purest efficacy and extraction of that living intellect that bred them.” - John Milton Aeropagitca

Posted: 02 July 2009 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-06-30

As someone who recently had a similar problem, I can sympathize.  I diligently backed up my data only to discover that after my boot sector was corrupted and I had to restore the computer back to its factory settings, it no longer recognized my backups, forcing me to restore my files manually, which I’ve been working on for 3 weeks.

I imagine it’s a lot of work to produce the show, especially with Grothe having other duties at CFI Donnelly in law school.  I just missed the podcasts and wanted to know when I could look forward to more.

D

2 of 3