3 of 3
Where have all the podcasts gone?
Posted: 02 July 2009 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  403
Joined  2007-08-26
KevinISlaughter - 02 July 2009 10:20 AM

There have been some pretty nasty/snippy comments here…
If some of you feel that strongly, maybe you should ask for a refund?

Oh wait, this is a free service. No money spent (from what I understand, it’s not promised when you joint cfi).

I missed the shows, but I don’t feel I’m somehow entitled to weekly episodes without fail, and I’m certainly not going to get upset that someone made a technical mistake - I’d imagine there was a lesson learned before some of you were able to do all that “tut-tut, you should know better”.

Nope, I never did that one. wink  I did, however, write an endless loop in a “C” program I wrote once. Without an exit condition, it brought a mainframe server to its knees in, oh, 5 minutes or so. It was the talk of the department for a long, long time.

Signature 

—————————————————
http://www.StephenJGallagher.com
http://StephenJGallagher.blogspot.com

Posted: 02 July 2009 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-01-22

yes, i agree with kevin.  i miss the podcasts dreadfully.  it’s horrible!  and i also entertain evil thoughts.  but it has to be acknowledged that these podcasts are a free service, and as such, there is no obligation on the part of the authors to be consistent in their delivery.  i mean, they could even just stop offering them altogether without notice!  it would be a dreadful shame but that’s all.  i just visit the site every couple of weeks or so now: just dropping in to see.  grin

net

Posted: 02 July 2009 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2006-01-21

Allow me to try to correct a possible misunderstanding.

The last episode was not posted a over a month ago. It was posted about a week ago, but just back-dated with the date of May 15. Many people seem to be looking at the Point of Inquiry website and assume that there hasnt been an episode since the last episode’s date. In fact, we have been pretty consistent about the shows coming out weekly, but just have failed so far to get caught up. If you listen to the show weekly, you should still be enjoying new shows on that regular basis. The fact that we are going in date order I hope will no longer confuse some of our most loyal and enthusiastic fans.

By way of example, the next episode will be posted tonight, July 2, but with the date of May 22. This will not, however, mean that we havent done a show since May 22.

Thanks very much for the enthusiasm for the interviews. They are a lot of fun, and we have about 10 recorded “in the can.” I think you’ll enjoy what we have lined up.

Regards to everyone,
D.J.

Signature 

"Few have the courage of their convictions. Fewer still have the courage for an attack on their convictions." - Nietzsche

Posted: 02 July 2009 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  4863
Joined  2007-10-05
KevinISlaughter - 02 July 2009 10:20 AM

There have been some pretty nasty/snippy comments here…
If some of you feel that strongly, maybe you should ask for a refund?

Oh wait, this is a free service. No money spent (from what I understand, it’s not promised when you joint cfi).

I missed the shows, but I don’t feel I’m somehow entitled to weekly episodes without fail, and I’m certainly not going to get upset that someone made a technical mistake - I’d imagine there was a lesson learned before some of you were able to do all that “tut-tut, you should know better”.

Anyway, delighted to hear they’re back on track, best to those involved in the show.

KIS

I, too, am delighted the shows are back on track. POI is on my short list of favorite podcasts, right up there with Astronomy Cast and Skeptics Guide to the Universe.

But erasing the only backup drive before leaving for vacation was not a “technical mistake,” it was an act of sheer ignorance. In more than two decades of small-scale IT work I have never made a mistake that shows such ignorance of computer systems. Not that I have never made mistakes, but I prefer to make more advanced mistakes, such as installing RAM in a friend’s computer then going into the kitchen for a beer instead of making sure the computer reboots properly. Fortunately I had connections for getting a replacement logic board cheap.

I will send Point of Inquiry a 250GB hard drive if Thomas Donnelley comes on here, admits his rookie mistake, and sends me a PM with a mailing address where to send the drive.

Darron

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 02 July 2009 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2006-01-21

Thanks much for your generosity. Very appreciated!

Speaking for Thomas (we live together) he readily and openly admits the mistake. I also share some responsibility too, in that we had planned to do the new backup before the vacation, but ran out of time due to poor time management and ineffectively prioritizing.

PM on its way with mailing address. If you provide an estimate of the value of the donated hard drive, CFI will also provide you an in-kind donation receipt for your tax deduction purposes.

Thanks again!
D.J.

Signature 

"Few have the courage of their convictions. Fewer still have the courage for an attack on their convictions." - Nietzsche

Posted: 02 July 2009 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  4863
Joined  2007-10-05

Ah, now the story is becoming more clear. I can relate. I fried my best friend’s new girlfriend’s computer in the story I told above: on the night I met her. We’re still friends.

PM sent on the drive. We just need to discuss your technical needs and I’ll get one on the way, even if I have to buy y’all a new drive.

Keep those podcasts coming.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

3 of 3