Joined  2006-08-29

Thank you very much, Brennen.  grin

Posted: 23 July 2009 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
mckenzievmd - 23 July 2009 11:43 AM

George,

Very close. You’re better off getting the shot because you will get some antibodies that may protect you against future flu strains AND the risk from the shot is very low. If you didn’t get the shot and you actually did get the flu, you might get a stronger and broader immune response, but at the cost of much more risk of injury or death fro the infection than there would have been from the vaccine.

Because the flu strains out there change all the time, neither vaccination nor infection gurantees protection against the next strain to come along. The article you originally cited suggests that people with exposure to a few strains from a long time ago might have some protection because those strains had some similarities to the newest “swine flu” strain. But the same would be true if they had been vaccinated with a type of flu similar to the latest one, and the risk would have been lower, it’s juts that the vaccine wasnt around then so the only way to get antibodies was to get infected.

Yep, I don’t think you will find any of the MDs, VDM, or RNs disagreeing with that assessment. grin

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 11 August 2009 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2008-12-11

Flying rabbis pray to save Israel from swine flu

(AP) – 2 hours ago
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gz5h2enR9EKb09SvXtxxh0u3cUxQD9A0PCK05

JERUSALEM — A planeload of Israeli rabbis and Jewish mystics held an airborne prayer meeting in the belief that it could help check the spread of swine flu in Israel, an Israeli newspaper reported Tuesday.

The Yediot Ahronot daily said a plane with 50 people on board circled over Israel on Monday, with the passengers chanting prayers and sounding the ritual ram’s horn. . . .

“The purpose of the flight was to stop the (swine flu) epidemic so that people will not keeping dying from it,” Rabbi Yitzhak Basri, one of the participants, told the newspaper. . . .

Posted: 11 August 2009 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Perhaps if they had dropped face masks and hand sanitzer from the plane using little parachutes, it would have been a better bet.  LOL

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 11 August 2009 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Total Posts:  776
Joined  2009-07-17
Jules - 02 May 2009 01:15 PM

It seems that perfectly healthy people are flooding emergency rooms - some with their only worry being that they ate pork last week. Some just have sniffles or allergies. It’s endangering those who are truly sick that are going to the E.R. for real emergencies.

Egads! We ate baby backs a couple of week ago that I smoked (in my smoker). What does it mean?! Hopefully the price of pork falls and I can cook it more often!  LOL

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 12 August 2009 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Joined  2008-06-03
josh_karpf - 11 August 2009 11:40 AM

(AP) – 2 hours ago
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gz5h2enR9EKb09SvXtxxh0u3cUxQD9A0PCK05

JERUSALEM — A planeload of Israeli rabbis and Jewish mystics held an airborne prayer meeting in the belief that it could help check the spread of swine flu in Israel, an Israeli newspaper reported Tuesday.

The Yediot Ahronot daily said a plane with 50 people on board circled over Israel on Monday, with the passengers chanting prayers and sounding the ritual ram’s horn. . . .

“The purpose of the flight was to stop the (swine flu) epidemic so that people will not keeping dying from it,” Rabbi Yitzhak Basri, one of the participants, told the newspaper. . . .

Someone on Pharyngula commented on this story, they said the airborne prayers will only work if all the Rabbis jump out of the plane and skydive holding hands to form a giant Star of David in the air.  LOL

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 12 August 2009 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 12 August 2009 07:38 PM

Someone on Pharyngula commented on this story, they said the airborne prayers will only work if all the Rabbis jump out of the plane and skydive holding hands to form a giant Star of David in the air.  LOL

....without parachutes….and survive!! LOL

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 12 August 2009 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09

(AP)

is this really 2009 or have I fallen down the rabbit hole

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 12 August 2009 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
citizenschallenge - 12 August 2009 07:48 PM

(AP)

is this really 2009 or have I fallen down the rabbit hole

You’re at ‘Harvey’s’ house!! LOL

Signature 

Posted: 12 August 2009 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 11 August 2009 12:23 PM

Perhaps if they had dropped face masks and hand sanitzer from the plane using little parachutes, it would have been a better bet.  LOL

As well as instructions to:
wash your hands frequently,
stay home if you are sick,
sneeze into your elbow….
any number of useful information!!

Signature 

Posted: 16 August 2009 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Any word on when the vaccine will be available to the public? I heard off hand that it was in late stage testing on volunteers at the moment. I imagine that first it will be made available to healthcare workers and pregnant women (who are especially vulnerable to this strain, I have heard) before the general public.

Signature 

Posted: 16 August 2009 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 16 August 2009 12:08 PM

Any word on when the vaccine will be available to the public? I heard off hand that it was in late stage testing on volunteers at the moment. I imagine that first it will be made available to healthcare workers and pregnant women (who are especially vulnerable to this strain, I have heard) before the general public.

What I heard was Sept at the soonest, perhaps October. It will involve 3 injections this time. I think one of them is for the ‘regular’ flu that was anticipated. One of the problems with manufacturing of the vaccine is that each injection requires an egg. 1 egg per shot. 300 million vaccines, 300 million eggs. The eggs come from special flocks. This is on top of all of the research that goes into producing the vaccination. It is a miracle of technology that we are able produce as many as we can year after year with only an occasional blip.

Signature 

Posted: 16 August 2009 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

An interview on public radio two or three days ago with a spokesperson for the government labs overseeing this said he estimated the middle of October for the first shots.  The second would be four to six weeks later.

Occam

Posted: 16 August 2009 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09
asanta - 12 August 2009 07:49 PM

I don’t know, my pal Harvey made more sense

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 16 August 2009 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
citizenschallenge - 16 August 2009 09:20 PM
asanta - 12 August 2009 07:49 PM

I don’t know, my pal Harvey made more sense

I’m talking about Harvey the invisible 6ft rabbit!

Signature 

6 of 7