7 of 7
Swine flu
Posted: 17 August 2009 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09
asanta - 16 August 2009 10:00 PM

I’m talking about Harvey the invisible 6ft rabbit!

I know who you’re talking about,
saw the play in high school and despite my conviction I’d find it really dumb,
I really liked it.

and I stand by my quote:

“my pal” Harvey made more sense. . .
than some of these dingbats running around today.

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 17 August 2009 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
citizenschallenge - 17 August 2009 05:59 AM
asanta - 16 August 2009 10:00 PM

I’m talking about Harvey the invisible 6ft rabbit!

I know who you’re talking about,
saw the play in high school and despite my conviction I’d find it really dumb,
I really liked it.

and I stand by my quote:

“my pal” Harvey made more sense. . .
than some of these dingbats running around today.

Just making sure we were talking about the same ‘pal’. I never saw the play, it was made into a movie starring Jimmy Stewart.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 06 August 2010 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
Joined  2008-08-09
asanta - 30 April 2009 09:27 PM

My hospital is going into overdrive on this..I think it’s overkill. Caution is warranted, and as usual, common sense should be followed. I’m not impressed with the media coverage. Too much fear mongering!

I just stumbled across this thread again. 

So, Asanta, looking back on it, what do make of the whole affair?
Was it a tempest in a teapot - of the scientists/doctors making or did the media do a bit too much over hype?
Were good lessons (& science) learned in the process?
How has it played out world wide - since the media, and I guess the rest of us too, seem to have lost interest?

ps. Was the movie with Steward any good?

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 06 August 2010 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

H1N1 is a nasty influenza. Initial deaths mirrored the deaths of the 1918 pandemic (killing the healthiest and most vigorous). The 1918 influenza initially appeared in 1917 as a very bad, but not horrible flu…then it mutated and created a deadly pandemic. I think the government’s goal of getting everyone vaccinated was great, but I think the media handling of the flu was horrid. We don’t know if a disaster was averted because of the vaccination campaign, or if there was no disaster to avert. We also don’t know if it is busy circling the globe picking up nasty mutations to hit us again. We’ll see this winter…

When I worked in the PICU, whenever there was an influenza A (like H1N1) our large unit would be packed with sick and dying children, and the staff would get hit hard too. I had the last influenza A that came around, and I have never been so sick in my life. I received the vaccine, which (I understand) gave me some immunity. I felt like crap for one week instead of eight.

The government was in a ‘damned if you do, damned if you don’t position’, but the media were irresponsible as usual.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 06 August 2010 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

As I understand it, this year’s seasonal flu vaccine which usually contains antibodies (antigens?) for the three most likely strains, will contain H1N1 as one of the components.

Emerson/Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 06 August 2010 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Great,  I’ll be getting my yearly vaccination this fall!

Signature 

Posted: 06 August 2010 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

As will I.  I asked since I’ve already had the H1N1 late last year or early this year.  I was told that a second shot of it will probably confer a bit of addtional immunity.

Occam/Emerson

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 08 August 2010 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

In my area I saw the common people take a sincere and intelligent attitude towards H1N1.  I saw rubbing alcohol dispensers popping up everywhere, I saw people using them.  I started washing my hands more (with soap).  So I think that the people did well, no panic, just more diligence IMHO, they did what they could.  Correct me if I’m wrong.  Obviously, I can’t say if any of that was effective, or not.

I’m curious, how should the media have treated the H1N1 threat during last autumn?  Isn’t there something they can do to help in a situation like that?

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 08 August 2010 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
Joined  2008-08-09

Thanks Asanta, good overview.

jump_in_the_pit - 08 August 2010 08:59 AM

I’m curious, how should the media have treated the H1N1 threat during last autumn?  Isn’t there something they can do to help in a situation like that?

For starters stop sensationalizing, but then there is the problem of people just not noticing or caring unless it’s sensationalized.

The news media does drive me up the wall - but, the buyers do affect what they receive, or are feed.

Signature 

Posted: 08 August 2010 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Most of the coverage was scaremongering. It was only later that they presented things you could do to protect yourself.

Signature 

Posted: 10 August 2010 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]
Joined  2008-08-09
asanta - 08 August 2010 05:46 PM

Most of the coverage was scaremongering. It was only later that they presented things you could do to protect yourself.

I’m not arguing that at all - just bitch’n about the air heads at the receiving end.

Signature 

Posted: 04 October 2010 03:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Fredrick Richardson - 03 October 2010 11:07 PM

Hi friends,
Great topic you have shared here. Swine flu, which was initially only transmitted from pigs to humans, is now traveling through human to human contact, and is one of the most deadly of the flu viruses. At least 1000 people have died from Swine Flu infection in the United States and clusters of swine flu are found in areas all over the World. The Swine Flu is currently under investigation by the Centers for Disease Control and the World Health Organization. Swine flu symptoms include runny nose, muscle aches, lethargy, lack of appetite, fever over 101 and sudden onset. It is difficult to distinguish from other flu types, and does require a diagnosis.

Don’t forget birds…another important vector. I believe we have them to thank for the H1N1 strains. I guess since we eat them….it’s only fair that they have the ability to make us really, really sick!! smile

Signature 

7 of 7