Popular Herbal/Diet Supplement Yanked After Death
Posted: 02 May 2009 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Here we go again with another insane weight loss product. This is a popular one, I’ve been seeing the advertisements for quite a while. What exactly were the ingredients causing the liver failure, I wonder?

LINK TO ARTICLE

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
- FDA recalls Hydroxycut products after 23 liver injuries and one death
- Hydroxycut products used as popular dietary supplement for weight loss
- Damage from product: liver failure, jaundice, seizures, cardiovascular problems
“Dietary supplements sold before October 1994 are not required to undergo any FDA review before going to market. The Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 required manufacturers to ensure a supplement to be safe before marketing. But manufacturers still don’t need to register a product with the FDA or get approval before selling a supplement.”

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 11 April 2012 02:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-04-11

For many years, I am looking for an effective weight loss product. It will be great for me if i find one. Sorry for that I can’t find the article. It shows that page not found.

Posted: 11 April 2012 04:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I have the perfect weight loss product: your brain. Use it to do 2 simple things: eat less and exercise more. Simple!

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 11 April 2012 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
FreeInKy - 11 April 2012 04:40 AM

I have the perfect weight loss product: your brain. Use it to do 2 simple things: eat less and exercise more. Simple!

Well, a lot of what causes obesity is genetic in origin (different metabolic rates, more efficient fat storage, etc.). Changing diet and exercise will work at the margins, and can work for a few people dramatically, but won’t work for everyone.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 11 April 2012 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
dougsmith - 11 April 2012 04:58 AM
FreeInKy - 11 April 2012 04:40 AM

Well, a lot of what causes obesity is genetic in origin (different metabolic rates, more efficient fat storage, etc.). Changing diet and exercise will work at the margins, and can work for a few people dramatically, but won’t work for everyone.

Yeah I know that. Just my knee-jerk reaction to the whole “take a pill to cure whatever ails you” mentality.

My wife actually struggles with this. She watches what she eats and gets a lot more exercise than I do, yet she has a hard time maintaining a healthy weight. But she does—it just requires a lot more effort for her than it does for some people.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 11 April 2012 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Combining swimming, biking, and running, I put in about 200 miles/month (that’s not a lot). Still, I weigh 198# at the end of winter and come down to about 188# by the end of summer. I also do weight training since muscle mass decreases with age. If I don’t exercise, I could easily get up to 230# or more. In August I’m doing the first international tri. It goes from Buffalo to Old Fort Erie in Ontario, Canada. Lots of fun. Exercise must be fun or it won’t become a lifestyle.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 11 April 2012 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26

You should take a look at their WEBSITE. They have a number of different hydroxycut products although it is difficult to figure out what the difference is because the only ingredient that they list anywhere is caffeine ( which makes me wonder what is in the “caffeine free version”).

They even have a tab on each product page labeled “science” but when you click on it all they do is quote a few placebo controlled studies but suspiciously they fail to provide any references. Were they double blinded? Were they made up of a large number or just three people? Were the participants randomly assigned to each group or hand picked? Were the studies published in a peer reviewed journal or sloppily designed and written and then filed on a dusty shelf out of the sight of prying eyes? 

At one point these products had ephedra in them which was associated with cardiac side effects and even a few deaths. It seems that even prospect of death is not enough to give this elixer of false hope a permanent black eye.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 11 April 2012 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2008-04-07

I agree macgyver. So many weight reduction and fitness products try to say they are based on science. The one I have found lately in fitness circles that really pisses me off and is gaining ground is called clustered water. $25 a case!!!

LINK (bicycle world)
LINK (from VIVO)

Signature 

Posted: 11 April 2012 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26
traveler - 11 April 2012 01:53 PM

I agree macgyver. So many weight reduction and fitness products try to say they are based on science. The one I have found lately in fitness circles that really pisses me off and is gaining ground is called clustered water. $25 a case!!!

LINK (bicycle world)
LINK (from VIVO)

OMG. If it wasnt so sad it would be hilarious. So they “magnetize” the water do they? exactly how you you line up the molecules of a liquid? What total BS. Then they say they realign the molecular structure so the water molecule is smaller and can more easily get into the cells. Excuse me. I have to go bang my head against the wall. This is just too painful. Exactly how do you shrink down two hydrogen atoms and an oxygen atom to make the molecule smaller?

With all the regulations that the government puts in place that do absolutely no good exactly how is it that these guys can get away with saying this stuff and not have to put a big “This is total BS and harmful to your brain” warning sticker on their promotional material

Thanks for the link traveler. Now my head hurts lol

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 11 April 2012 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  5173
Joined  2010-06-16

I’ve found another effective way.  Although I’ve been exercising three days a week at the YMCA for 12 years and try to eat rationally, I’ve not lost any weight.  Six weeks ago I stopped going to the Y and stayed in bed most of the time.  So far I’ve lost 18 pounds.  Of course, I also got rid of quite a few pounds of mucus and exercised almost constantly with my coughing.  Now that I’m recovering my appetite has returned about 30%. 

Maybe I could go into business by selling nasal sprays of the nasty virus I had as a great diet aid.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 11 April 2012 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 11 April 2012 05:37 PM

I’ve found another effective way.  Although I’ve been exercising three days a week at the YMCA for 12 years and try to eat rationally, I’ve not lost any weight.  Six weeks ago I stopped going to the Y and stayed in bed most of the time.  So far I’ve lost 18 pounds.  Of course, I also got rid of quite a few pounds of mucus and exercised almost constantly with my coughing.  Now that I’m recovering my appetite has returned about 30%. 

Maybe I could go into business by selling nasal sprays of the nasty virus I had as a great diet aid.  LOL

Occam

I hope you’re better soon. Respiratory illnesses are no fun at all..

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 11 April 2012 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
asanta - 11 April 2012 06:04 PM

I hope you’re better soon. Respiratory illnesses are no fun at all..

Ditto.

Signature 

Posted: 12 April 2012 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Thanks.  What annoys me is that I’ve always felt thirty years younger than my chronological age, but the damned cold caught me up with it.  snake  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 12 April 2012 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Sorry to hear it, Occam! Hopefully by now you’re feeling better already. If not, soon!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 12 April 2012 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Improving rapidly, thanks.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 12 April 2012 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 12 April 2012 05:07 PM

Improving rapidly, thanks.

Occam

Glad to hear that!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…