3 of 7
Jonathan Miller atheism series “Brief History of Disbelief” (Merged)
Posted: 10 November 2007 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  895
Joined  2007-05-09

Sandy,

After looking at the Evangelicals in America I fear for the future of our U.S. Constitution even more than before I saw the truth in the Bush 43rd Administration.  Will he be the activator of Armageddon and bring the end of times under his watch?  He is crazy enough to try to pull this off.

Wow.. If you are referring to the rapture (Armageddon - or the apocalypse as laid out in the book of Revelation), and this is your belief - what evidence do you have for this assertion? I only ask because you are implying an extraordinary claim.

Posted: 10 November 2007 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I believe you totally missed the irony in Sandy’s post, Zarcus.  As I read it I think she was saying that GWB believes in Armageddon and may even feel he is the agent to cause it to occur.  If he launches a major nuclear strike on one or more of those he sees as the axis of evil before he leaves office, it could cause a world war that would damage our civilization severely and possibly even destroy it.  That would be, in his view, “the end of times.” 

Occam

Posted: 10 November 2007 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Joined  2007-05-09
Occam - 10 November 2007 02:12 PM

I believe you totally missed the irony in Sandy’s post, Zarcus.  As I read it I think she was saying that GWB believes in Armageddon and may even feel he is the agent to cause it to occur.  If he launches a major nuclear strike on one or more of those he sees as the axis of evil before he leaves office, it could cause a world war that would damage our civilization severely and possibly even destroy it.  That would be, in his view, “the end of times.” 

Occam

I tend do doubt this interpretation. But, your second sentence seems to say how I am reading what she asserts.  He is certainly not behaving in a way that would bring about Armageddon. Perhaps there is a joke in this I am missing. Is it a connection to the belief then to the possible attempt to solidify this belief. Or just the belief then the possible circumstances that allow him to forward the Armageddon belief. Or the belief is confirmed because situations beyond his control has allowed him the position to bring on Armageddon.

But, the whole “agent” thing, I mean, I must be completely out to lunch on this.

Sandy, was this just irony?

Posted: 10 November 2007 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I must be completely out to lunch on this.

Apparently so, because I couldn’t make any sense of what your response was trying to say.

Occam

Posted: 10 November 2007 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2007-05-09
Occam - 10 November 2007 03:18 PM

I must be completely out to lunch on this.

Apparently so, because I couldn’t make any sense of what your response was trying to say.

Occam

Perhaps so. Because the irony in this statement eludes me, that was what I was highlighting:

After looking at the Evangelicals in America I fear for the future of our U.S. Constitution even more than before I saw the truth in the Bush 43rd Administration.  Will he be the activator of Armageddon and bring the end of times under his watch?  He is crazy enough to try to pull this off.

When someone says; “He is crazy enough to try to pull this off”, I am seeing a claim. The sarcasm may be real, but I see a direct affirmative connection being made. Perhaps it is a joke, or just an off the cuff remark, maybe even a belief.

Posted: 15 November 2007 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

There’s a nice interview with Jonathan Miller by Bill Moyers, available HERE. They discuss his series.

Miller always comes across to me as an extremely precise and eloquent speaker.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 16 November 2007 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21
dougsmith - 15 November 2007 02:59 PM

There’s a nice interview with Jonathan Miller by Bill Moyers, available HERE. They discuss his series.

Miller always comes across to me as an extremely precise and eloquent speaker.

This was very nice.  Yes.  Miller has a remarkable way of stating his views matter of factly, such that they don’t come across as antagonistic.  Even when their content is very bold.  An admirable skill.

Posted: 17 November 2007 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2007-08-24

I’ve had a problem accessing this forum.  Finally this morning (17th) I received a number of emails with my replies from this forum. 

My comments came from my many years of being a Republican with many questions to other Republicans on why they allowed the religious right to infiltrate a strong GOP turning it into a bunch of frightened Christians terrified of death.  Since I gave up the fear of God, my approach to death has been a natural consequence to birth.  Being a member of the Hemlock Society and now on the board of directors of “Compassion and Choices Arizona N.W. Division” I receive many emotional Christian screaming to be allowed to die as Jesus wanted.  In my work with Hospice I’ve been told that dying in agony is simply the result of a Godless life. 

I went on-line in 1994 simply to ask what the hell was going on with these crazy Christians.  In 1999 I got my answers and it all involved making America a Christian nation so our new government would get us all into Paradise.  I’m not making this up!  It was a call for all of us to vote for Bush 43 who was a born-again Christian and would lead us as we needed to be led.

I even attended a couple of Christian revival meetings and heard exactly what I had expected and there would be a new clean Christian Evangelical movement to lead us all into Paradise.  This was about 2 weeks before 9/11 and the first thing that popped into my mind, that morning,  was “Holy Shit, that bastard has started his movement to Paradise!”

Who spoke up a couple of days later?  Jerry Falwell saying God brought 9/11 to pay all Americans for our sins, homosexuality and lack of faith.  Pat Robertson joined in immediately as did Paul Weyrich all pointing their fingers at the evil American people who condoned abortions and sodomy.  Every conservative site on the internet turned ugly and went on and on about how evil Americans were and I became irate! 

I saw the devil peaking out in all the conservative sites (and I do not believe in the devil) but something so obviously evil had taken over the Government and I had to search for the reason the voters allowed this to happen.  I wrote to everybody and posted on all the forums and was told all about Armageddon and the rapture of Paradise.  How could this terrible evil hit so hard among so many good American Republicans?  Most of us left the party and joined up as Libertarians just to get away with the smell of sulfur. 

If this fear of “The End of Times” continues, our white house will be just another Vatican with horrible laws like those found in the Inquisition in Europe and our government will be a police state trying to kill Islam, Athiests, and I fear Judaism. 

What more can I say?  You either believe me or not!

Posted: 17 November 2007 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Yes, Sandy, you aren’t the only one who got notification of replies.  Mine dated back to the thirteenth of November.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 17 November 2007 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2007-08-24

Thank you Mriana.  I have made so many enemies on the internet that I wondered if someone got into my hard drive and did some damage. I’m not that technical and figured it might be that this end…...

Posted: 17 November 2007 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2007-09-21

It happened to me too.  Perhaps it was the hand of the divine.  LOL

Posted: 17 November 2007 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2007-08-24

Get on your knees, brother and say a Halleluiah

Posted: 17 November 2007 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I’ve made note of it to the person who takes care of these things.  smile

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 17 November 2007 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2007-08-24

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.  Thank you my dear!

Posted: 17 November 2007 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

You’re welcome.  grin  Now we return you to your original topic.  wink

Signature 

Mriana

3 of 7