1 of 3
Alternative medicine for childhood cancer ...
Posted: 15 May 2009 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

Read about a recent court case HERE:

Judge rules family can’t refuse chemo for boy

By AMY FORLITI, Associated Press Writer – 37 mins ago

MINNEAPOLIS – A Minnesota judge ruled Friday that a 13-year-old cancer patient must be evaluated by a doctor to determine if the boy would benefit from restarting chemotherapy over his parents’ objections.

In a 58-page ruling, Brown County District Judge John Rodenberg found that Daniel Hauser has been “medically neglected” by his parents, Colleen and Anthony Hauser, and was in need of child protection services.

<snip>

Doctors have said Daniel’s cancer had up to a 90 percent chance of being cured with chemotherapy and radiation. Without those treatments, doctors said his chances of survival are 5 percent. ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 15 May 2009 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

This is very sad and extremely upsetting, as Hodgkin’s lymphoma is a very treatable type of cancer. Almost all children diagnosed (and treated!) with Hodgkin’s lymphoma will survive the first five-year period.

This type of news just breaks my heart… downer

EDIT: But since the judge says they are not allowed to refuse the treatment I guess this is good news after all.

[ Edited: 15 May 2009 12:23 PM by George ]

Posted: 15 May 2009 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

That poor boy. Hopefully all the weeks wasted in court did not harm him. Early and complete treatment is so important in cases like this.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 15 May 2009 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 15 May 2009 12:33 PM

That poor boy. Hopefully all the weeks wasted in court did not harm him. Early and complete treatment is so important in cases like this.

My thoughts exactly, but any decrease in survival rate due to parental stupidity, will still be MUCH greater than the survival rate and his life expectancy without treatment!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 15 May 2009 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

There are two possible outcomes, and the parents’ response to these will probably be:

A) the boy dies -  See, our way would have saved him.

B) the boy lives -  He would have lived anyway.  The medical treatment didn’t contribute to that.

Heads, I win; tails, you lose.

Occam

Posted: 15 May 2009 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

It’s CLEAR that THEY won’t change THEIR ignorant minds, but at least the child will have a chance to live, even if he will NEVER understand/believe that it was medicine and NOT prayer. downer

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 15 May 2009 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  7571
Joined  2007-03-02

It ceases to amaze me just how stupid the religious can be.  If a friend of ours had not messed around with alternative meds with her cervical cancer and chose to have it removed instead, she MIGHT be alive today.  I just hope this young boy still has time for his cancer to be treated properly and lives to see adulthood, as well as enjoy it.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 15 May 2009 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

My own sense is that in this sort of case the parents should be prosecuted for child abuse and perhaps manslaughter. Not likely to happen, I know ...

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 15 May 2009 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

No it’s not and this poor child is apparently brainwashed or going along with his parents so they won’t get mad at him.  I know that last all too well.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 16 May 2009 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  262
Joined  2008-06-13

I found this story disturbing as a physician, parent, and rational thinker.  While I respect patient autonomy, a 13 year old does not have the mental or emotional maturity to make a decision of this magnitude.  Clearly if there is metastatic disease, odds of cure fall dramatically.  While I am not surprised, I am always appalled when I see stories of parents making such decisions.

Posted: 19 May 2009 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

And it gets worse ...

By AMY FORLITI, Associated Press Writer – 37 mins ago

NEW ULM, Minn. – A Minnesota judge has issued an arrest warrant for the mother of a 13-year-old boy resisting chemotherapy after the pair missed a court hearing on his welfare. Brown County District Judge John Rodenberg also is ordering that Daniel Hauser be placed in protective custody so he can get proper medical treatment for Hodgkins lymphoma. ...

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 19 May 2009 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

I just saw a TV newsclip in our office kitchen where the news is constantly playing - the boy stated he will “kick and punch” anyone who tries to force the treatment on him. He will have to be chemically sedated, I suppose. He’s really been brainwashed by his parents - he thinks he’s being a hero for god by refusing the treatment.

So very sad. Thank goodness for the sensible judge.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 19 May 2009 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  4809
Joined  2007-10-05

State statutes require parents to provide necessary medical care for a child, (Brown County District Judge John) Rodenberg wrote. The statutes say alternative and complementary health care methods aren’t enough.

He also wrote that Daniel, who has a learning disability and cannot read, did not understand the risks and benefits of chemotherapy and didn’t believe he was ill.

Not only is the boy brainwashed, he is incapable of understanding what he is risking. His parents have no shame. I would be willing to bet they would not score very high on a standard intelligence test. That is a politically correct way of saying they are morons. They are also sick people deluded by religion into thinking an invisible sky daddy is going to cure their son.

Anyone who denies religion is dangerous raise your hand. No? I didn’t think so.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 19 May 2009 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Things are even worse that what is popularly reported. According to this reporter (http://www.startribune.com/local/45190127.html?elr=KArksUUUU), Daniel is a home schooled nightmare, totally illiterate to the point that he couldn’t identify the word ‘the’ in a sentence. He also said that Daniel was a religious ‘Shaman’ because EVERYONE becomes a ‘Shaman’ when they reach the age of 13! He could not tell anyone what a ‘Shaman’ does, or even describe the beliefs of his ‘religion’.

Signature 

Posted: 19 May 2009 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

The child may have a learning disability, but he still could have learned to read, even if it is several grade levels lower than his age, and comprehend he is sick.  It would seem these parents are neglecting him on more levels than just medically.  How easy to brainwash someone who is uneducated.  That is one of the best ways to control the thinking of another. Even worse if it is a child, with or without a learning disability.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 19 May 2009 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

I didn’t see any documentation of a learning disability. It sounds like the parents just didn’t bother to teach him!

Signature 

1 of 3