1 of 4
Atheist/Humanist Symbol
Posted: 15 May 2009 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

As I was driving today, I saw a bumper sticker with a list of religious symbols on it:  A cross, a star of David, a Crescent and star, etc.  The driver was apparently indicating a desire for religious acceptance and tolerance, and that’s fine.  However, I’d like to see an atheist/Humanist symbol included, but I don’t think we have one.  The American Humanist Association has a person with his/her arms up in the shape of an H, but that just doesn’t make it.  We need an infinity sign, an integral symbol, or something like that, that grabs people and is easily recognizable as representing atheism/humanism.  Any ideas?

Occam

Posted: 16 May 2009 12:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14

how about something really simple, like this…....

teamwork.jpg

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 16 May 2009 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2007-10-14

`
*giggling*  i actually really like this one too…...

(of course, this would never fly with the ‘we’re not animals!’ types )

ant_teamwork.jpg

[ Edited: 16 May 2009 01:12 AM by Axegrrl ]
 Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 16 May 2009 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2007-10-14

the stickmen are kind of ‘meh’ to me, but I do like the general theme here….....

teamwork-r.jpg

Signature 

Posted: 16 May 2009 12:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2007-10-14

teamworkcliffrose.jpg

Signature 

Posted: 16 May 2009 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-10-14

helping1.jpg
helping2.jpg
helping3.jpg

Signature 

Posted: 16 May 2009 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1995
Joined  2008-09-18

PZ Myers was part of an effort to come up with a symbol for atheism and they came up with a swishy “A”. There were tons of good suggestions. My favorite was the infinity symbol, which was also a favorite among many people on his blog.

Posted: 16 May 2009 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  262
Joined  2008-06-13

How about something like an infinity symbol, a Mobius strip?

Posted: 17 May 2009 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Maybe something like this:

H-reach6.jpg

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 17 May 2009 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I see Darwin fish as the atheists’ symbol. I know it is a mockery of the Christian fish, but that’s fine with me: if it wasn’t for them I would have no need to call myself an atheist.

And I also like the UN logo. The light blue reminds me of Sagan’s pale blue dot.

un_logo_big.gif

Posted: 17 May 2009 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

I happened to see the Atheists United symbol today, and it’s quite good:  Almost one full cycle of a sine wave with a line (x-axis) drawn through it to make the A then, since the second half of the wave doesn’t quite get to the x-axis, it makes the U.

Occam

Posted: 18 May 2009 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-10-14

Out of curiousity, for those who like/respond to the ‘infinity’ symbol or sine wave, what ‘moves’ you about it?

I ask because personally, if I saw either of those on a bumper sticker or among other ‘worldview’ symbols, it wouldn’t particularly ‘resonate’ for me and wouldn’t necessarily bring to mind humanism.

The essence of humanism, to me, is the idea of human beings working together…...that if there’s going to be any kind of ‘redemption’ (excuse the religious terminology:) for us, it’s going to come as a result of our working together with the common goal of establishing true freedom and equality for all.

Signature 

Posted: 18 May 2009 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

You have a point, Axegrrl, and maybe only those who work with mathematics and the physical sciences would relate to infinity and the sine wave.  However, how does a cross, a six pointed star, or a crescent and star resonate?  None of these have any inherent meaning, but people have learned to see them as a symbol of some particular belief system.  I think the infinity or the sine wave could, with proper public relations and advertising, do the same. 

What symbol can you think of that would embody “human beings working together”?  Remember, this has to be a simple symbol that can fit on a bumper sticker and be able to be identified from, say, 30 - 40 feet.  Your images were very nice, but they wouldn’t work within that limitation.

Occam

Posted: 18 May 2009 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Occam - 18 May 2009 03:16 PM

However, how does a cross, a six pointed star, or a crescent and star resonate?  None of these have any inherent meaning, but people have learned to see them as a symbol of some particular belief system.  I think the infinity or the sine wave could, with proper public relations and advertising, do the same.

We find symbols such as stars and crosses attractive because we are in general attracted to geometry. The problem with logos that try to tell a story is that they are usually either too literal or too complex and the message gets lost—which I think is the case with the AU logo; the AU logo is also, IMO, ugly and amateur. I remember once when our company estimated the cost of a certain logo at $10,000. By the time we were done with it, the cost came to be over $50,000—needles to say the client paid us the estimated $10,000. To come up with a logo that works and will appeal to a large audience is probably one of the hardest things in graphic design.

[ Edited: 19 May 2009 01:07 PM by George ]

Posted: 18 May 2009 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  699
Joined  2008-10-26
Occam - 15 May 2009 09:10 PM

As I was driving today, I saw a bumper sticker with a list of religious symbols on it:  A cross, a star of David, a Crescent and star, etc.  The driver was apparently indicating a desire for religious acceptance and tolerance, and that’s fine.  However, I’d like to see an atheist/Humanist symbol included, but I don’t think we have one.  The American Humanist Association has a person with his/her arms up in the shape of an H, but that just doesn’t make it.  We need an infinity sign, an integral symbol, or something like that, that grabs people and is easily recognizable as representing atheism/humanism.  Any ideas?

Occam

What’s wrong with the American Atheists’ symbol? (Below), or the French symbol for Atheism - the Pansy?

Image Attachments
logo.gif250px-Pansy_Viola_x_wittrockiana_Red_Cultivar_Flower_2000px.jpg

Posted: 18 May 2009 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

I sort of figured that, George, which is why I was looking forward to your input. 

I agree that the symbol is often “too literate or too complex”.  However, if we consider the cross and the star of David, while they are quite simple, to believers and even many who don’t follow them, they stand for an entire philosophy and history.  When any of us sees a cross with a longer bottom leg, no matter how strong an atheist, a Jew, or a Moslem we are in the U.S, we recognize it as christian. 

I see two problems: 1. to find a simple, elegant symbol that’s easily recognized, and 2. Doing a huge amount of publicity so that people DO begin to associate it with Humanism/Atheism.

Once this is accomplished, every time someone sees that symbol, the concept comes to mind.  It won’t help the haters, but many will (i hope) begin to see the worth of the humanist philosophy.

Occam

1 of 4