RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7665
Joined  2008-04-11
dougsmith - 27 June 2009 12:05 PM
asanta - 27 June 2009 11:55 AM

Michelangelo’s ‘David’?
He is the very vision of reason!
How would Italy feel about THAT?

That would be kind of ironic, since it is after all King David ...

Can we find a statue of King Solomon? (did he even exist?).

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 27 June 2009 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15358
Joined  2006-02-14
asanta - 27 June 2009 12:11 PM

Well, I’m sure there are plenty of statues of Solomon, although I’m not sure they’d be any better a humanist symbol than Michelangelo’s David. (There are statues of him whether or not he existed. I think it’s somewhat up in the air as to whether David and Solomon are real, although as we get closer to the present the likelihood gets greater. FWIW it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Solomon were a real king).

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 27 June 2009 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2009-01-24

I was thinking (pun!) more along the lines of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_thinker

Signature 

“From the faith that you release comes an atheist peace.”
“I’m materialist, I ain’t no deist! It’s there for all to see, so don’t talk of hidden mystery with me.”
“Credulous at best, your desire to believe in angels in the hearts of men.”

Posted: 27 June 2009 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
cmbf117 - 27 June 2009 12:34 PM

I was thinking (pun!) more along the lines of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_thinker

Right, that’s a good one.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 27 June 2009 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  7665
Joined  2008-04-11
dougsmith - 27 June 2009 12:37 PM
cmbf117 - 27 June 2009 12:34 PM

Right, that’s a good one.

Oh, Rodin! Good Pun!!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 30 June 2009 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2009-06-29
Chris Crawford - 16 May 2009 08:13 AM

PZ Myers was part of an effort to come up with a symbol for atheism and they came up with a swishy “A”. There were tons of good suggestions. My favorite was the infinity symbol, which was also a favorite among many people on his blog.

I like that idea… maybe a combination mobius strip/infinity.

Posted: 28 July 2009 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2009-07-11

This one is already available for attaching to your car:

41kY3eUmMQL_SL500_AA280_.jpg

Available here.

Signature 

My blog: Skeptical Observations

Posted: 28 July 2009 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

The candle was mentioned and it was pointed out that it’s already been by a number of religions and sects.  Then it occurred to me that a light bulb might be better.  It’s often used in graphics to indicate an insight or sudden thought.  However, light bulbs are being phased out and fluorescents and LEDs don’t seem to work as a symbol. 

Occam

Posted: 29 July 2009 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-07-29

The light bulb sounds good, easy to see on a bumper sticker and different enough to make people wonder about it…  and maybe even google it.

Posted: 29 July 2009 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Occam - 28 July 2009 09:27 AM

However, light bulbs are being phased out and fluorescents and LEDs don’t seem to work as a symbol.

Not a problem, Occam. Look at the oil symbol on your dashboard! What is a problem though, is that the light bulb has been used too many times.

Posted: 14 August 2009 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-08-14
George - 17 May 2009 07:10 PM

I see Darwin fish as the atheists’ symbol. I know it is a mockery of the Christian fish, but that’s fine with me: if it wasn’t for them I would have no need to call myself an atheist.

And I also like the UN logo. The light blue reminds me of Sagan’s pale blue dot. maybe bend the owrd Humanism around the bald spot on top? :)

un_logo_big.gif

A very nice idea, George, showing the UN flag before the US populace. I wish more people would speak up about Paul Kurtz’ call for a world government, and that would aid the cause.

It disturbs me that Occam uses the term atheist/Humanist , suggesting that they are interchangeable or equivalent. Again I think we should follow Paul K on this and leave the religious gas/blowby in the Bush era.

BTW, I tried to log on as my old Martinus username, but it was not in the database, and not available. Must have been locked up by/with Galileo… ;-)

Signature 

Dwight Jones
http://www.humanism.ws
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 14 August 2009 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Dwight - 14 August 2009 01:06 PM

BTW, I tried to log on as my old Martinus username, but it was not in the database, and not available. Must have been locked up by/with Galileo… wink

Is it here?

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums/member/3401/

That is an active account. If so, it would be better for you to use it and I can delete or lock your present username (“Dwight”). We only allow one username per person.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 15 August 2009 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  7547
Joined  2007-03-02
dougsmith - 27 June 2009 12:17 PM
asanta - 27 June 2009 12:11 PM

Well, I’m sure there are plenty of statues of Solomon, although I’m not sure they’d be any better a humanist symbol than Michelangelo’s David. (There are statues of him whether or not he existed. I think it’s somewhat up in the air as to whether David and Solomon are real, although as we get closer to the present the likelihood gets greater. FWIW it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Solomon were a real king).

I’m not sure what is wrong with the ‘happy human’ humanist symbol really.  Why change it?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 15 August 2009 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
Kritikos - 28 July 2009 08:20 AM

This one is already available for attaching to your car:

41kY3eUmMQL_SL500_AA280_.jpg

Available here.

I can’t stand that FSM.  Don’t know why.  It doesn’t repulse and sicken me like that barbaric torture device Xians have.  Guess because it is no better than going from Xainty to oh I don’t know… Mithraism or worshiping Apollo in my mind- even though I realize it is a joke.

[ Edited: 15 August 2009 06:09 AM by Mriana ]
 Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 15 August 2009 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
Dwight - 14 August 2009 01:06 PM
George - 17 May 2009 07:10 PM

I see Darwin fish as the atheists’ symbol. I know it is a mockery of the Christian fish, but that’s fine with me: if it wasn’t for them I would have no need to call myself an atheist.

And I also like the UN logo. The light blue reminds me of Sagan’s pale blue dot. maybe bend the owrd Humanism around the bald spot on top? smile

un_logo_big.gif

A very nice idea, George, showing the UN flag before the US populace. I wish more people would speak up about Paul Kurtz’ call for a world government, and that would aid the cause.

Oh I’ve mentioned it a time or two and people go insane thinking it is the NWO and it will control the thoughts of every man, woman, and child.  rolleyes

Signature 

Mriana

3 of 4