Sam Harris on Colbert Report last night, repeated tonight
Posted: 26 April 2006 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2006-01-21

Sam rocked. What an eloquent proponent of sensibleness.

You can see it at http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchive/2006/04/the_end_of_fait.html

Colbert Report is a show where comedian Steven Colbert parodies a Bill OReilly-type talk show, but has real guests. Funny.

Its on 1130PM Eastern right after the Daily Show with John Stewart.

Signature 

"Few have the courage of their convictions. Fewer still have the courage for an attack on their convictions." - Nietzsche

Posted: 26 April 2006 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2006-01-21

Sam Harris on Colbert Report last night, repeated tonight

Sam rocked. What an eloquent proponent of sensibleness.

You can see it at http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchive/2006/04/the_end_of_fait.html

Colbert Report is a show where comedian Steven Colbert parodies a Bill OReilly-type talk show, but has real guests. Funny.

Its on 1130PM Eastern right after the Daily Show with John Stewart.

Signature 

"Few have the courage of their convictions. Fewer still have the courage for an attack on their convictions." - Nietzsche

Posted: 26 April 2006 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Thanks for the URL, DJ. Colbert is hilarious. But it is a comedy show and as such probably not the best venue to explicate complex and serious issues. I think Sam gave it his best shot.

He could perhaps have said something about how our country was not founded as a Christian nation, and how “In God we Trust” on our money does not go back to our founding. (And how, indeed, it is an oddly profane place to put such a sentiment!)

But just keeping up with Colbert makes it a really tough venue ...

:wink:

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 26 April 2006 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2006-04-23

Harris on the Colbert Report?  Cool!  Not enough Rapporr tho

[quote author=“dougsmith”]Colbert is hilarious. But it is a comedy show and as such probably not the best venue to explicate complex and serious issues. I think Sam gave it his best shot.

He could perhaps have said something about how our country was not founded as a Christian nation, and how “In God we Trust” on our money does not go back to our founding. (And how, indeed, it is an oddly profane place to put such a sentiment!)

But just keeping up with Colbert makes it a really tough venue ...

I agree.  Love the Daily Show’s TWIG (This Week in God) and other irreverences.  And Colbert does a great job of proving the left or rational by seeming to take the rectally inverted position.  And F U N N Y Funny.

I too thought Sam missed a few good openings, including the Founding Fathers bit.  But until the second half of the segment, he hardly had a chance to string 2 sentences together.  And, although he tried to joke along, seemed to me he couldn’t quite make his serious points, nor could he quite match the comedy level. 

Steve seemed to take even longer to work his way over to the table; I thought that might’ve been a pretend swipe, as though to say ‘I’m gonna give you even less time, you heathen bastard.’  Surprised he didn’t do the whole “JC, son of God,.........................” mantra he usually uses.  He actually cut that one short.

Good exposure for the book, though.  And it’s yet another seed planted; this time with the major cred that comes with getting on the Daily Show / Colbert Reporrrrrrr Hour.

Just getting the talking points out there will help some people defend their rationalist view (or start to adopt one??).  The Dawkins “we’re all atheists about most gods, I just disbelieve in one extra” point, for example.  He kinda fumbled that one too, though. 

Might’ve tried something like this.

“We’re actually a lot alike Steven.  Do you believe in Zeus?  Neither do I.  Vishnu?  Me neither.  Gitchee Manitoo?  Ditto.  See?  We agree on disbelieving in all of those.  I just disbelieve in one more than you do.”

Or a poker metaphor.  I’ll ‘see’ your disbelief in those 327 gods…and ‘raise’ you one.

Loved some of Steve’s points.  “The Bible is perfect.  I know so, cuz it says so right there in the Bible, which can’t be wrong” or whatever.

——
Over 100,000 weeks on the NYT Bestseller list (Fiction): The Holey Bible

Posted: 27 July 2006 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  241
Joined  2006-07-17

I’d like to see it, too bad its in Apple Quicktime format. Quicktime should be classified as a virus and made illegal, I hate that crap.

Signature 

http://www.rationalrevolution.net

Posted: 29 July 2006 03:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2006-01-21

Ooohh those are fighting words. As a convert to the religion of Apple, I’ll have to disagree raspberry

Signature 

Thomas Donnelly
Center for Inquiry?
716-636-7571 ext 420
tdonnelly (at) centerforinquiry.net
http://www.centerforinquiry.net

Posted: 29 July 2006 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

I’m with Thomas on that one ...

Been an Apple fan all my life ...

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 29 July 2006 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  508
Joined  2006-04-18

Apples are ok, but I really like a nice seedless grape…oh wait I see.

Posted: 29 July 2006 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
[quote author=“cgallaga”]Apples are ok, but I really like a nice seedless grape…oh wait I see.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

—Groucho Marx

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 29 July 2006 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2006-03-31

There are other websites, including comedycentral.com, that use other formats.

There are also alternative codecs that will play quicktime files, although if you’re against installing quicktime, that isn’t really much different, I suppose.

My gripe with quicktime is that it tries to bar other players from reading it’s filetype and forces you to install an extra program just for itself. If you’re against a religion being forced upon you, why would you allow the same type of behavior elsewhere? I can definitely see why a freethinker would hate quicktime.

Posted: 08 August 2006 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2005-06-28

Speaking of flying fruit.  Bannanas are easy to throw but you’d really be scared of a watermelon flying right at you.

BTW: Dont ask a prankster for a fruit punch or may get some sense hopefully gone in.

Signature 

Fighting the evil belief that there is a god(s).

Posted: 09 August 2006 12:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2006-04-10

Just want to add my support for rationalrevolution’s “Quicktime should be classified as a virus and made illegal” comment. 

/stupid side-picking

Posted: 11 August 2006 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-02-23

My support goes with G (Rational Rev). I hate Apple’s go it alone approach. Remember guys the Apple II had it all and then its Do it my way or its the highway approach did them in.
I think it will ultimately produce the same result with QuickTime. If we work at it there are ways around using the thing BTW.
J

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/1/
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)