1 of 2
What the Bleep Do We Know? (Merged)
Posted: 27 April 2006 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2006-04-27

What the Bleep Do We Know?

I just watched this with some friends (one was my fiancee, who’s is in the humanist club we are starting on campus with another friend who was there).

I liked the very beginning, when it was talking about how strange quantum mechanics can be. Some time into the film, though, they applied the ideas of tendancies to reality and our perception of it.

It went beyond things existing because we believe they exist. The film cited Masuru Emoto, who has some controversial tests reguarding the human mind’s "positive" or "negative" energy affecting the formation of ice in water, positive making pretty shapes and negative making ugly. More detalin on his work can be easily found on the web.

And that’s where the film started losing me. I can appreciate the power the brain has in perceiving what goes on around us (my fiancee’s grandmother suffers from alzheimer’s dimentia and schizophrenia), but for the human brain to actively rearange the physical universe? That’s a bit much.

Another part that bothered me is when some of the speakers interviewed spoke of God. Two of them (one is an instructor in some sort of thought school and the other is a theologian) had a very deistic view of god, while others had more mechanical views, like some sort of Grand Archetect beyond our understanding.

It’s an interesting film, and I think it’s worth watching, especially in mixed company of good friends with differeing worldviews. The other two friends present were nontheistic, but much more mystical than my fiancee, my humanist friend, and I. We talked about ghosts (which 4/5s of us believed to be halucinations brought on by a combination of many things)  and what determines "self" for a good while during a break in the movie.

Honestly, it felt like something better suited to me when I was less mature in my spiritual/philosophical developement.

edited to add the heading from the second - duplicate post.

Signature 

Our love of what is beautiful does not lead to extravagance; our love of things of the mind does not make us soft.—Thucydides, Book II

Posted: 28 April 2006 01:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Haven’t seen the film, Gaddy, but from the reviews and discussion it sounds to me really, really bad, with a lot of new-agey nonsense. And whenever I hear that quantum mechanics has got its way into a discussion of mystical “positive” and “negative” energies, chills run up my spine. It’s very easy to speak total nonsense about QM ...

rolleyes

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 28 April 2006 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2005-06-28

agree with doug.

Signature 

Fighting the evil belief that there is a god(s).

Posted: 29 April 2006 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2006-04-28

“What the Bleep Do We Know?” Are you serious? There were two, maybe three facts in that movie, everything else was made up. The movie was put out by a cult led by a warrior spirit from Atlantis named Ramtha. Just thought I’d let you know that the movie was BS.

:shock:

Signature 

Know Thyself

Posted: 01 May 2006 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2005-06-28

interesting site White Fangs. lol

Signature 

Posted: 01 May 2006 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2006-03-08

Yeah, I had to watch it for a class, and it wasn’t until after the movie (during the credits) when I realized where these people were coming from.  Only a few were reputable experts in the field; the two most prominant interviewees were 1) a Chiropractor and 2) the “exotic” Cult Leader.  Not so credible.  And “WithTeeth” is right - the Ramtha people produced and funded the movie.

Posted: 02 May 2006 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2005-06-28

cults, evangilists, radical muslums=same people.

Signature 

Posted: 12 May 2006 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-04-27

Wow, ancient spirits from Atlantis? Man, now I’m compelled to believe that I can make water happy.

I know the movie is BS, kthx. It was still entertaining.

Signature 

Our love of what is beautiful does not lead to extravagance; our love of things of the mind does not make us soft.—Thucydides, Book II

Posted: 30 June 2006 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  984
Joined  2005-01-14

I just watched about half of it (on the Encore channel), and that was about all I could stomach!  I remembered a scene fairly early on, when she asks the kid, “how do you know all this?” and he whips out a “Dr. Quantum” comic book!  How very appropriate, since what I saw of it was no better than comic book science!  smile

Posted: 04 July 2006 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-04-27

My favorite part:

in the subway, the photographer is looking at the picutres of emotional water. The guy that looks like an SS officer/Christopher Lloyd in Who Framed Roger Rabbit says, “If we can do that to water…”

my friends and I all burst out at once, “IMAGINE WHAT I CAN DO TO YOU!!!”

Listen, for once and for all: I know the film is nonsense. I never endorsed what it had to say, only it was fun to watch with friends and talk about. Prz, don’t put words in my mouth. I’m a smart boy; I went to catholic school for a year and a half.

Signature 

Posted: 07 July 2006 03:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  984
Joined  2005-01-14

Don’t have a cow, dude!  I was just giving you my take on it.  I didn’t find it the slightest bit entertaining.

Posted: 06 September 2006 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-09-06

Honestly, when I first watched the film, back when…I thought it was very interesting, and was very curious to see what was going on with it. So I picked up the book Beyond the Bleep, and started reading. It took it interviewee by interviewee, and explained what they said in the film, and what their scholarly works have meant. Basically, it ended up making half of them to be taken out of context.

I say half only because I could only stand to read half the book. It could have been much more.

Posted: 28 May 2007 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  148
Joined  2007-03-07

I know that there has to have been a topic about this but I tried searching the forum and couldn’t find anything…

Anyway, I watched the movie last night and posted a review about it today on Barnes and Noble’s website. I don’t know whether they’ll post it or not but here’s what I said in it…

Quantum Mechanics is definitely a fascinating and legitimate field of science… Sorry to burst your “we are God and we can make our lives run better if we believe hard enough,” bubble, but this movie’s got it all wrong. Yes, parallel universes is a legitimate theory. Yes, quantum particles have been known to behave strangely. No, you can not go back in time and exist in two places at once.

One scene in the movie, which I assume serves as an analogy of what these people believe, involves the main character going into this basketball court of Quantum-believe-and-it-will-happen-ness to play with this boy. The woman, having not shot a basket in years, goes back in time like a quantum particle so that she can shoot the basket.

Welcome to the macrocosm… guess what? I am not a quantum particle, you are not a quantum particle, the “experts” (who have questionable qualifications, one of them still studying to be a theoretical physicist) in this movie are… and this is the real shocker… ARE NOT QUANTUM PARTICLES! You, nor I, nor anybody who you have a social relationship with do not have the same rules operating on us.

Just close your eyes and meditate for a moment. Try to use your thoughts to control the universe at the quantum level. Make the quantum particles vibrate in such a way to make something you really want to happen happen.

Did it work?

If it did, then publish a paper in Nature.

If not, then you have just debunked this movie.

The movie also makes the claim that by thinking positive thoughts, the ice crystals formed by water when it freezes will change based on the thought.

I’ve been to the website and was shown pictures of an ice crystal formed by Thank You in Japanese, Thank You in English, and Thank You in French. They all looked different. But no matter what country you live in, isn’t the thought the same?

Alas, I think I’ve found the motive for the whole segment with the water. The Japanese man who made his “discoveries” about water crystals sells his Indigo Water at $35 for a months supply with the claim that one ounce of concentrate Indigo Water added to one gallon of regular distilled water makes… eight gallons of Indigo Water.

I’ve spent as much time on this as I’d like to spend on something like this…

Bottom line: I can’t make anyone think a certain thing. If you really want to see the movie, see it, but do so skeptically. Investigate other websites when you’re done and find out the truth about their claims.

As for the message about loving yourself, sure. You’re a beautiful person, respect yourself… And being the lovely human that you are, do something good and intelligent for yourself and don’t accept what they’re telling you in this movie. The next thing you know, you’ll be buying “Indigo Water.”

Signature 

1. God is omnipotent.
Source: Several incidents where I’ve annoyed fundamentalist Christians by challenging God’s power.
2. If God is omnipotent then he can travel faster than the speed of light.
Modus Ponens
3. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
Source: Einstein
Therefore, God is nothing.
QED

Posted: 28 May 2007 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Merged threads.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 14 February 2008 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  573
Joined  2007-08-21

I watched this movie last night, and though I understand that it is new age pseudoscience type of stuff, I still found it rather entertaining and enjoyable along the same lines of how I enjoyed the movie, The Matrix.

Signature 

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Posted: 14 February 2008 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I saw it well over a year ago, and as I recall I enjoyed it because I thought it was silly but funny.

Occam

1 of 2