5 of 5
Jeff Schweitzer - Beyond Cosmic Dice: Moral Life in a Random World
Posted: 16 July 2009 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14
George - 16 July 2009 02:09 PM

Well, Hood thinks that without it we wouldn’t see those things that help to hold our society together as sacred. Kind of like when you fall in love and believe that she is the only one — a trick of our mind to get you to bed.

See this is the grey area. Some of X maybe involved, but really I think our innate programming which deals with Mating rituals, decides all that stuff. Mating Ritual. It’s not fluffy, gooey phenomenom, it is real, innate, “computer” programs running.
X deals with the unknown, or the need to find “higher realities”, find another place, an unknown place.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 16 July 2009 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  189
Joined  2009-01-01

In a paranoid, offhand yet semi-related to this podcast way, I recommend also my other favorite podcast site http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/ with one podcast being from our friend Richard Dawkins “In Defense of Darwin” and another on “Stochasticity” followed up by “Are we coins”. 

Most interesting is some enlightenment regarding the stochastic nature of living cells with the question asked, “How can anything orderly (such as ourselves) ever be derived out of such confusion”.  The answer to that one is that thus far we don’t know, but it’s certainly a “biggie”.

Signature 

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful. - Seneca (ca. 4 BC –AD 65)

Posted: 16 July 2009 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

Yeah part of the sacredness, from religion, or superstition etc.. may help to form cultures, the cohesion of cultures. And these would stem from X. Yeah, I’m getting it now. Just as long as we know that other things also form society/culture like innate programming other than X, such as mating behavior, social behavior.
Really when it get’s right down to it, everything revolves around F**king and X. I joke, and please excuse the base level language, but it really isn’t that far from the truth.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 16 July 2009 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
gray1 - 16 July 2009 02:23 PM

In a paranoid, offhand yet semi-related to this podcast way, I recommend also my other favorite podcast site http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/ with one podcast being from our friend Richard Dawkins “In Defense of Darwin” and another on “Stochasticity” followed up by “Are we coins”. 

Most interesting is some enlightenment regarding the stochastic nature of living cells with the question asked, “How can anything orderly (such as ourselves) ever be derived out of such confusion”.  The answer to that one is that thus far we don’t know, but it’s certainly a “biggie”.

Gray1, I tried listening to that, it was way too kitschy for me. Randomness. I see the subject of randomness come up alot in these discussions, but I don’t see the relevance of it. Even above in this Title: Random World. What? What’s random? Everything or nothing!
I think this random thing is one of those sidetracks that X can lead people down. It often times ends up into formulations of creation, or unknowns, or probablities. X makes it hard for people to get there head around random, or chance.
It is what it is! If the chaos creates order-than so be it. I think everything is in order.
But Gray, please explain further, I could be missing something here. I think it will lead down the philosophical avenue, a side alley right off of Vagueness St.(in the other thread). How can things be a natural unit, and yet be made up of “vague” pieces. Or some such idea.

[ Edited: 16 July 2009 03:02 PM by VYAZMA ]
 Signature 

Posted: 21 July 2009 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Joined  2009-01-01

Kitschy still sells.  Besides, it is after all out of NYC.

But as to where it currently leads, the podcast confesses to not knowing such answers (while speaking for Science in general).

My personal picture of the situation would be comparable to the old problem of how many monkeys banging on typewriters for how long would be required to eventually write the complete works of Shakesphere.  Once again, that kitschy podcast I enjoy, WNYC Radio Lab, had a program on the infinite nature of the universe with an author/professor of physics saying that his/their current very qualified thinking is that not only would such a thing as this happen once, but would actually happen an infinite number of times - asuming of course an infinite universe.  Cute, kitschy and somewhat mind boggling.

Signature 

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful. - Seneca (ca. 4 BC –AD 65)

Posted: 21 July 2009 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

From Here To There Eventually…
But actually The Hippo Stomp sums everything up perfectly!
The NYC radio started with a 7 min. build-up about some British girl sending a message balloon into the sky.
Citizens Challenge I believe was expounding on the current state of NPR, and I must admit, I’m beginning to see what he’s talking about.
I think the human perspective on infinity, and random events is just part of the trickery our minds like to play on us. Not that they aren’t existent, but do they actually mean anything?

Signature 

Posted: 21 July 2009 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Joined  2009-01-01

Popularizing science might seem to denegrade it somewhat to purests, but it does serve to keep the intended audience amused and hopefully attentive.  Believe it or not, to some much people a higher level scientific or philosophical discourse can quickly seem dry.  It is possible they will actually learn something from “pap science” where before there might have been little or no continuing interest.  If it causes people to ask questions about or become more interested in the scientific/analytical process, some should also logically seek more and better avenues and associates of like mind.  Besides, even the less gifted of us like to feel a little smart once in a while. 

The question was posed in the opening hereto whether at some point science might become a religion.  I suggest that keeping an open mind is fundimental to preventing the formation of what might become an undesirable level of dogma and one way to do so is to have as broad exposure as practicable to the progress or at least thoughts going on science wise.  It used to be that those engaged in philosophy could attempt to keep up with the frontiers of science and utilize/speculate thereupon in tandem, but this gets increasingly harder as progress spreads out in opposite directions in nonlinear fashion.  So who are the priests and prophets of science?  Spreading the word is important, particularly if you wish to remain funded in some cases.  Unfortunately, many voters and elected representatives are not well schooled in this arena.  Very few understand that repeated failures can nevertheless in fact be indicative of great progress.

There will always be far more questions than answers on the horizons of science.  This is very evident with and perhaps why much attention has been given lately to trying to fill in the gap between the chaos/randomness we detect or calculate exists at the basic levels of things and the seemingly remarkable order that is seemingly easier (but perhaps deceptively so) determined at the “high” end of things.  If we can take notice of science programing as it generates the most popular interest from WNYC Radio Lab and the like, a very important zeitgeist factor might be recognized which can be taken advantage of by the very keen.  Plus we might even learn something.

Signature 

Posted: 22 July 2009 04:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

Gray 1, you didn’t even catch my Steppenwolf References did you? LOL

Signature 

Posted: 22 July 2009 04:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Joined  2009-01-01
VYAZMA - 22 July 2009 04:25 AM

I am a fan but I haven’t yet taken the time to review the lyrics in order to fully appreciate your posting.  That will be rectified shortly.  I keep the scrolling lyrics of “Monster” embeded on my personal blog as a tribute to true awesomeness.

Signature 

Posted: 22 July 2009 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
gray1 - 22 July 2009 04:51 AM
VYAZMA - 22 July 2009 04:25 AM

I am a fan but I haven’t yet taken the time to review the lyrics in order to fully appreciate your posting.  That will be rectified shortly.  I keep the scrolling lyrics of “Monster” embeded on my personal blog as a tribute to true awesomeness.

True awesomeness Indeed!

Signature 

Posted: 23 July 2009 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Joined  2009-01-01

Just as the saying goes, “Nature abhors a vacuum,” and seeks to fill it, so too does the nature of the human mind seek order out of whatever the senses convey even when logic screams there’s actually nothing there.  By way of example, if you stare at a blank wall long enough you will be surprised by what you can discover.  Alternatively you can rest against a banyan tree (if you have one handy) until some gaps you still have regarding universal truth get filled. 

Whether illusion or enlightenment, such might be considered the price we pay for having developed sapience, but one side benefit to this is called “creativity” - or am I trying to make something out of nothing here?

Signature 

Posted: 23 July 2009 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

No…I follow ya.

Signature 

5 of 5