New member from Finland
Posted: 03 June 2009 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2009-06-03

Hello!

I’m a new member from Finland, Northern Europe. I’m working part time and I study computer science and mathematics at the University of Kuopio. I also have a Bachelor of Business Administration degree. I was born in 1981. My wife works as a nurse and skeptical issues dealing with health care are close to my heart.

It’s probably not relevant here but besides skepticism I’m very much into sports. I do judo, strength training and running.

Being a skeptic in Finland is relatively pleasant. Woo-woo is not as common as in many other European countries but still it could be better.

Please note that my native tongue is not English.

Posted: 04 June 2009 04:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15300
Joined  2006-02-14

Welcome to the CFI forum, Eero. I wouldn’t worry about the language, judging from your post here. Glad to hear that woo isn’t as popular in Finland as it is in the rest of Europe and the US. Do you have the same problems with pharmacies distributing quackery that we see in the rest of Europe? (Herbal “medicines”, homeopathy, etc.)

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 04 June 2009 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Welcome, Eero.  Always good to get views from outside the U.S.

Occam

Posted: 04 June 2009 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7503
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome Eero.  Glad to have you here.  It will be interesting to hear even more about Finland.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 13 June 2009 02:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2009-06-03

Thank you for welcoming me.

dougsmith - 04 June 2009 04:19 AM

Do you have the same problems with pharmacies distributing quackery that we see in the rest of Europe? (Herbal “medicines”, homeopathy, etc.)

I contacted via e-mail a person from my university who works as a senior assistant at the department of public health. He is a health sociologist. I will probably call him next week and hopefully gain some reliable information on this.