1 of 10
Great Optical Illusions (Was: Why color cannot just be wavelength).
Posted: 24 June 2009 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14

Why color cannot just be wavelength:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2009/06/24/the-blue-and-the-green/

Amazing optical illusion. I’ve seen others involving shading but nothing quite like this.

[ Edited: 22 January 2010 01:37 PM by dougsmith ]
 Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 24 June 2009 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  731
Joined  2007-06-20

Amazing!

Signature 

PC

Posted: 24 June 2009 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Apparently the illusion originally came from Akiyoshi Kitaoka, professor of psychology, who has several pages of AMAZING illusions HERE.

His original page on this color illusion is HERE.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 24 June 2009 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

More great illusions in an “Illusion of the Year” contest HERE.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 24 June 2009 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4095
Joined  2006-11-28

Fantastic! It never ceases to amaze me how thoroughly we can be fooled by our senses.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 24 June 2009 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Wow! I wonder what it would look like to someone who is red/green or yellow/blue colorblind?

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 26 June 2009 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1995
Joined  2008-09-18

Here’s an interesting tidbit: if you shrink the spirals down, the graphics algorithms will in fact merge the colors into blue and orange. So here’s the question: are our eyes correctly averaging the color patterns, or do the algorithms in my computer replicate the peculiarities of the human visual system?

Posted: 26 June 2009 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Chris Crawford - 26 June 2009 07:16 AM

Here’s an interesting tidbit: if you shrink the spirals down, the graphics algorithms will in fact merge the colors into blue and orange. So here’s the question: are our eyes correctly averaging the color patterns, or do the algorithms in my computer replicate the peculiarities of the human visual system?

Good question ...

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 26 June 2009 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10
Chris Crawford - 26 June 2009 07:16 AM

I think both. The software averages the colors just like the human brain does. The software was designed so that it could scale images in a way our brains would accept as realistic-looking.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 26 June 2009 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1995
Joined  2008-09-18

That’s some pretty sophisticated algorithms in that software, then.

Posted: 30 June 2009 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Brian Wansink has a book, Mindless Eating, that tries to make those illusions practical. 
He applies them to the ways that we (over) eat and came up with some connections that
in studies seem to influence our eating habits.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 30 June 2009 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Have you ever seen the blind spots that are in each of your eyes?  This is an
example that helps you find one of them.  You can map the borders with your
mouse pointer too, after you learn the instructions.  I find that covering one eye
with a sheet of paper works well.

Wiki has a good variety of false color illusions, and false dimentional illusions, I
could do without the false movement illusions.  For that first image you need a
image editor measure the colors or you will not believe what they say about
it. (e.g. Gimp))

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 30 June 2009 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

My dad was (red/green) color-blind and his interpretation of color amazed me to no end, although he would get annoyed at my questions about HIS reality. I remember being at work and telling a Doc “nice shirt”. He said “Thanks, blue is my favorite color”. I responded, “It has some blue, but it is mostly green”. His response was “No it’s not, it’s blue” and of course I said, “Are you by any chance colorblind?”. He said “yes, how did you know?”. I told him it was a replay of conversations I’d had with my dad! My oldest son’s best friend and room-mate in college was color-blind as well. My dad died when he was young, so he didn’t get the benefit of our conversations and it took him 2 years to figure it out—he thought he just had a weird sense of color! The fact that my eyes can interpret the world around me is amazing, and evidence that others see it differently is even more so!
Evolution is sooo cool!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 01 July 2009 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
jump_in_the_pit - 30 June 2009 07:14 PM

Have you ever seen the blind spots that are in each of your eyes?  This is an
example that helps you find one of them.  You can map the borders with your
mouse pointer too, after you learn the instructions.  I find that covering one eye
with a sheet of paper works well.

Yep, following Dan Dennett, I used to use that as an example of the problems with conscious awareness when I gave philosophy classes. It’s very cool. Who knew there were two large holes in our visual field?

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 03 July 2009 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
asanta - 24 June 2009 06:32 PM

Wow! I wonder what it would look like to someone who is red/green or yellow/blue colorblind?

Asanta, I have a degree of color deficiency. It varies between folks of color-blindness as I’m sure you know. I had no trouble seeing the illusion here. However I can’t pass the Ishihira Color plate tests. I can get 1-2 out of 16. Unless, I’m allowed to look at each plate for 30 secs.-1 min. and trace out the dots slowly by hand, Then make a good observation that was right about 95% of the time.
Everyone else can pick out these plates in 1/2 second- it boggles my mind and makes my eyes hurt just thinking about it.
But that is just about it though. Only the Ishihira tests confound me. I can see colors just like everyone else. Maybe sometimes like your dad, I might get mixed up about someones clothes with these off-color hues like blue-green, or grayish-blue.  But I seem to think everyone does that. Maybe I’m wrong. You know, you hear people say about a car color or something-” Oh it was a Grey car”-“No-it was blue”- “Oh yeah, I guess so, you could call that blue”. It seems regular vision folks have these conversations too.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 03 July 2009 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
VYAZMA - 03 July 2009 10:10 AM
asanta - 24 June 2009 06:32 PM

Asanta, I have a degree of color deficiency. It varies between folks of color-blindness as I’m sure you know. I had no trouble seeing the illusion here. However I can’t pass the Ishihira Color plate tests. I can get 1-2 out of 16. Unless, I’m allowed to look at each plate for 30 secs.-1 min. and trace out the dots slowly by hand, Then make a good observation that was right about 95% of the time.
Everyone else can pick out these plates in 1/2 second- it boggles my mind and makes my eyes hurt just thinking about it.
But that is just about it though. Only the Ishihira tests confound me. I can see colors just like everyone else. Maybe sometimes like your dad, I might get mixed up about someones clothes with these off-color hues like blue-green, or grayish-blue.  But I seem to think everyone does that. Maybe I’m wrong. You know, you hear people say about a car color or something-” Oh it was a Grey car”-“No-it was blue”- “Oh yeah, I guess so, you could call that blue”. It seems regular vision folks have these conversations too.

Yes we do, but the conversations are different, we can usually come to a consensus, where as when I talk to someone with color deficiencies, their entire reality is different, they are truly seeing differently. Of course ‘color sense’ varies among people too.But my dad would defend his color position ‘to the death’ even though his brown reality is my green, and green for 90% of the population!

Signature 

1 of 10

‹‹ Zoom into a tooth      Dinosaur Mummy! ››