8 of 10
Great Optical Illusions (Was: Why color cannot just be wavelength).
Posted: 22 September 2012 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7576
Joined  2007-03-02

It hurts my eyes to look at it.  I always knew Jesus inflicted pain on people.  asanta’s head hurts and my eyes hurt.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 22 September 2012 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]
Total Posts:  3075
Joined  2011-11-04
Mriana - 22 September 2012 06:37 PM

It hurts my eyes to look at it.  I always knew Jesus inflicted pain on people.  asanta’s head hurts and my eyes hurt.

Stop looking at it!  You may get a sudden urge to marry him!

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 22 September 2012 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
TimB - 22 September 2012 06:40 PM

Now why would I want to become a nun?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 22 September 2012 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Mriana - 22 September 2012 07:26 PM

Under normal circumstances, you wouldn’t.  But a black cat in a nun’s uniform would look kinda cute.  (The cat wouldn’t like it, though, I’m sure.)

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 22 September 2012 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
TimB - 22 September 2012 07:36 PM
Mriana - 22 September 2012 07:26 PM

Under normal circumstances, you wouldn’t.  But a black cat in a nun’s uniform would look kinda cute.  (The cat wouldn’t like it, though, I’m sure.)

LOL  That would be funny.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 22 September 2012 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 111 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Thevillageatheist - 22 September 2012 03:47 AM

Incredible illusion George. What causes the illusion to vibrate, or was it the beer I had? Reminds me of my favorite optical illusionist, M.M. Escher.

http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/opticalillusions/escher.html

Cap’t Jack

I had a book with all of M.C. Escher’s work, once.  I think I got stoned, 30 something years ago, loaned it to someone, and never saw it again.

Here is a link to op art, but none of the pieces have a hypnotic Jesus in the center:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=ush-mailc&sz=all&va=op+art

Signature 

Posted: 22 September 2012 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 112 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

It just occurred to me that since nuns are all Jesus’s wives, and he may have had a wife while he lived, is he a bigamist, or perhaps a Mormon?

Signature 

Posted: 23 September 2012 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 113 ]
Total Posts:  4522
Joined  2007-08-31
TimB - 22 September 2012 07:44 PM

I had a book with all of M.C. Escher’s work, once.  I think I got stoned, 30 something years ago, loaned it to someone, and never saw it again.

Maybe this interests you? Get stoned just by looking…

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 25 September 2012 01:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 114 ]
Total Posts:  6055
Joined  2009-02-26

This link might just be connected to the observation and interpretation of color. The irridescent wings of a butterfly is a result of natural processes at the nano scale.

Excerpt, chapter 5

But when a particle of gold is made very small, below 100 nanometers, 100 billionths of a meter, the particle begins to absorb shorter wavelengths of light, toward the blue end of the spectrum. The smaller the particle, the more blue is absorbed and the redder it appears.

But it gets even stranger, because not only size matters, shape does too.

Each of these vials contains water with silver nanoparticles dissolved in it. The only difference between them is the shape of the particles. In this test, silver rods give you yellow; silver triangles, green; silver prisms give you blue.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tech/making-stuff.html#making-stuff-smaller

wiki,

In physics, the definition of a noble metal is even more strict. It is required that the d-bands of the electronic structure are filled. Taking this into account, only copper, silver and gold are noble metals, as all d-like bands are filled and do not cross the Fermi level

So we can physically create the appearance and perception (illusion) of color from just three “noble” elements.

[ Edited: 25 September 2012 02:46 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 02 October 2012 04:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 115 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14

Another great one from Richard Wiseman’s blog. The lines are straight!

a3qj0thccaeluaf.jpg

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 02 October 2012 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 116 ]
Total Posts:  6055
Joined  2009-02-26

Hummm, I do see in the bottom row and the top row that the gas-tank looking figures have different characteristics and lined up in a certain order. In fact the vertical sides also have different shapes and order. The illusion of waviness is caused by the position of the 4 arms of the interior squares relative to each other.  In combination,  small details create the illusion of the waves.  Cool.

Hate to use it as a chess board though….. gulp

edit: WOW, just managed to see it straight.  Squinted my eyes untill I could no longer see the little arms and the illusion was lost.

[ Edited: 02 October 2012 05:22 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 02 October 2012 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 117 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

OK, Doug, that thing is awesome.  If you look at it, then use your mouse wheel or whathaveyou to move the image up and down it looks like the lines move.  Like waves.  Neat.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 02 October 2012 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 118 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14
Dead Monky - 02 October 2012 07:34 AM

If you look at it, then use your mouse wheel or whathaveyou to move the image up and down it looks like the lines move.  Like waves.  Neat.

Good catch! Way cool.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 02 October 2012 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 119 ]
Total Posts:  776
Joined  2009-07-17
dougsmith - 02 October 2012 09:41 AM
Dead Monky - 02 October 2012 07:34 AM

If you look at it, then use your mouse wheel or whathaveyou to move the image up and down it looks like the lines move.  Like waves.  Neat.

Good catch! Way cool.

For some reason I ‘see’ it more when scrolling up. Weird.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 04 October 2012 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 120 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26
harry canyon - 02 October 2012 10:22 AM

For some reason I ‘see’ it more when scrolling up. Weird.

Take care,

Derek

Same here.  Weird indeed.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

8 of 10

‹‹ Zoom into a tooth      Dinosaur Mummy! ››