10 of 10
Great Optical Illusions (Was: Why color cannot just be wavelength).
Posted: 25 October 2012 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 136 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3186
Joined  2011-11-04
Write4U - 25 October 2012 09:51 PM
Occam. - 25 October 2012 03:25 PM

Geez, even a pragmatist in optical illusions.  I kept staring at it, but couldn’t make the non-existent green dot appear.  LOL

Occam

Was the picture moving?  It is a moving gif. There is one empty space, which for me first turns a light violet ghost, and then to green dot circling slowly eating all the red dots like a little pacman, until there is only the circling green dot.

I think that the violet dots disappear, consecutively, one at a time and then reappear in a clockwise direction, giving the appearance of motion.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 25 October 2012 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 137 ]
Total Posts:  3186
Joined  2011-11-04

Geez, even a pragmatist in optical illusions.  I kept staring at it, but couldn’t make the non-existent green dot appear.  LOL

Occam

Was the picture moving?  It is a moving gif. There is one empty space, which for me first turns a light violet ghost, and then to green dot circling slowly eating all the red dots like a little pacman, until there is only the circling green dot.

I think that the violet dots disappear, consecutively, one at a time and then reappear in a clockwise direction, giving the appearance of motion.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 25 October 2012 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 138 ]
Total Posts:  6095
Joined  2009-02-26
TimB - 25 October 2012 10:18 PM

Occam

yes, of course. The point is that the empty space advances, but is perceived by the brain as a green dot moving. We fill in the space but with a different color!  Is it an opposite or complimentary color or is the background color (in the empty space) that triggers a green response?

We can understand the dot shape, but green?  Then as others have noticed, it seems that the entire brain process runs into trouble by producing all kinds of illusionary memes from just this very simple natural problem.  I can make it a grey background with just a green dot circling. Complete erasure of the red dots….amazing.

[ Edited: 25 October 2012 10:53 PM by Write4U ]
Image Attachments
rotating-dots.jpg
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

10 of 10

‹‹ Zoom into a tooth      Dinosaur Mummy! ››