3 of 10
Great Optical Illusions (Was: Why color cannot just be wavelength).
Posted: 17 August 2009 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14

Another neat optical illusion—four concentric circles that REALLY don’t look it ...

That’s one of the best I’ve ever seen. Ooooff!

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 17 August 2009 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

Kritikos, I used to do some painting, I learned long ago that there were several ways to get the same shade and hue of a color. You did not have to mix the color exactly the same was to get the same shade the very saturated colors of red, brown and green. I also discovered early on that my color blind dad would see them as completely different colors and could easily tell exactly where the new and old paint colors were.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 20 August 2009 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2008-02-27

This isn’t really an optical illusion but the film uses 35,000 different photos and “It combines an innovative mix of stop motion and live projection mapping techniques.”  I don’t know exactly what that means but things get interesting around 1 minute in:

http://www.vimeo.com/3114617

Posted: 20 August 2009 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Cool—thanks. I wonder how they did it, it looks like a video taken of sophisticated light projection techniques.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 20 August 2009 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

I imagine a program similar to Photoshop that would let you use motion images as a filling pattern. Take the female legs as an example: select the legs in the photo (with a magic wand, for example) and apply the pattern of prerecorded “moving arrows.” Is such a program exists (I guess it does), it would be fairly simple to make montage of still and moving images.

Posted: 20 August 2009 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

It certainly was well named. It IS scintillating!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 29 August 2009 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-08-29

About color vision and color blindness…
The book “The Making of the Fittest” by Sean B. Carroll has long explanations on the subjects.  He explains the genetic history of it in humans and other species, from the opsins in the eye cone cells to the variations in the genes to make the opsins, etc.  We humans have pigments sensitive to 3 frequencies of color light and 1 for black and white at night.  His explanation is a very good analysis of the evolutionary history of vision in many species.  It turns out that a few women may actually have genes to produce an color opsin sensitive to a fourth frequency of light!  This is a very good read also if you are interested in the facts supporting the record of evolution.

Posted: 29 August 2009 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
BruceM - 29 August 2009 05:36 PM

About color vision and color blindness…
The book “The Making of the Fittest” by Sean B. Carroll has long explanations on the subjects.  He explains the genetic history of it in humans and other species, from the opsins in the eye cone cells to the variations in the genes to make the opsins, etc.  We humans have pigments sensitive to 3 frequencies of color light and 1 for black and white at night.  His explanation is a very good analysis of the evolutionary history of vision in many species.  It turns out that a few women may actually have genes to produce an color opsin sensitive to a fourth frequency of light!  This is a very good read also if you are interested in the facts supporting the record of evolution.

Thanks, I’ll look it up!

Signature 

Posted: 30 August 2009 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  5939
Joined  2006-12-20

Here is another interesting illusion, what amazes me is how simple it is and yet we are still being tricked.

http://www.brainbashers.com/showillusion.asp?66

Stephen

Posted: 02 December 2009 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Neat optical illusion HERE as well ... what shade is the diamond?

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 02 December 2009 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
dougsmith - 02 December 2009 09:00 AM

Neat optical illusion HERE as well ... what shade is the diamond?

ohh

Posted: 02 December 2009 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Saw an article a few days ago where the females of a species of monkey could see red, but the males were color blind to that color.  When they were injected with the gene that females had, about half of the males could then identify red items.  I didn’t pay much attention to it, but if anyone’s interested I’ll try to find it again.

Occam

Posted: 03 December 2009 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

what shade is the diamond?

All the diamonds are the same colour. But I cheated, I took it to Photoshop—I had to, I couldn’t help it. The reason all the diamonds appear to be shaded differently is due to the bottom of each diamond being slightly darker than the top. A smart trick!

Posted: 04 December 2009 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
George - 03 December 2009 09:07 PM

what shade is the diamond?

All the diamonds are the same colour. But I cheated, I took it to Photoshop—I had to, I couldn’t help it. The reason all the diamonds appear to be shaded differently is due to the bottom of each diamond being slightly darker than the top. A smart trick!

I was wondering about that, thanks. (I also think the white space at the top makes a difference).

And BTW, I wouldn’t consider it a “cheat”—optical illusions like this one persist even if you know how they work. That shows that visual processing goes on at a level deeper than conscious processing can effect.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 04 December 2009 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
dougsmith - 04 December 2009 06:02 AM

(I also think the white space at the top makes a difference).

Good point.

dougsmith - 04 December 2009 06:02 AM

And BTW, I wouldn’t consider it a “cheat”—optical illusions like this one persist even if you know how they work. That shows that visual processing goes on at a level deeper than conscious processing can effect.

True. The sun still appears to be moving across the sky.  wink

3 of 10

‹‹ Zoom into a tooth      Dinosaur Mummy! ››