4 of 10
Great Optical Illusions (Was: Why color cannot just be wavelength).
Posted: 22 January 2010 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15433
Joined  2006-02-14

HERE is another one. The lines are parallel ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 03 March 2010 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

HERE is another neat one from Richard Wiseman’s blog. Dancing figures!

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 03 March 2010 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Those figures on Wiseman’s site did not move for me, I am relieved to say.  smile (Those false movement illusions make me dizzy.)

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 03 March 2010 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
dougsmith - 03 March 2010 05:43 AM

HERE is another neat one from Richard Wiseman’s blog. Dancing figures!

The heads bobbled back and forth for me.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 03 March 2010 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
dougsmith - 22 January 2010 01:36 PM

HERE is another one. The lines are parallel ...

That one is cool too! It is a wonder eye witness testimony is even allowed in a courtroom!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 04 March 2010 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
jump_in_the_pit - 03 March 2010 09:32 PM

Those figures on Wiseman’s site did not move for me, I am relieved to say.  smile (Those false movement illusions make me dizzy.)

How is that possible? Don’t optical illusions work on everybody? Very strange: jump_in_the_pit doesn’t see them move at all, Asanta sees the movement in their heads, and I see them move their heads and legs. Why is this?

Posted: 04 March 2010 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

I’m not sure if JITP means that they aren’t literally moving—thus the smiley face. The movements are more like slight shimmering. (“False movement”, in other words).

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 04 March 2010 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

George, I had only the heads and torso visible on my screen. I’m sure I’d see the legs move as well!

Signature 

Posted: 13 April 2010 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Another optical illusion from Richard Wiseman’s great blog:

This is not a spiral!

not-a-spiral.jpg

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 13 April 2010 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

That is great, it took me a minute to find the circles!!

Signature 

Posted: 18 April 2010 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

I meant that I saw no movement at all.  I saw blue dots surrounded by rings that are half black and half white that make the edges of the blue dots appear vague and confusing which is probably the foundation of the illusion that you others see; arranged vaguely into a head/torso/pair of legs shape; with two orange/red dots for eyes; and that is all I saw.  I simply saw an arrangement of dots, nothing more, a static image.

Since false movement illusions make me dizzy, I am relieved that it doesn’t work for me.  smile

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 18 April 2010 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Total Posts:  4108
Joined  2006-11-28

Illusions dont always work for everybody since they can depend on differences in vision or the visual processing systems. I on’t see a signle unified image through binoculars and miscroscopes, and I have trouble with the oild-style 3-d movies (though not the newer technology. I was a teenager before I realized I wasnt seeing what everyone else was through the miscroscope. I have a subtle deficit in some level of the visual processing system of input from my left eye, which no one has ever pinned down (and which I haven’t bothered to have extensive testing done for since it isn’t noticeable in day-to-day life), and this apparently interferes with the merging of images in microscopes.

On the other had, I used to not be able to see the hidden images in those autostereograms, which I attributed to the same problem. But then one day I “got it” and now I can usually see them pretty easily, so there’s some other, higher-order process invoolved in seeing or not seeing them.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 24 May 2010 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2010-05-22

Hi guys.
Color-blind is an odd malady and being completely deaf in one ear I still must say at least I’m not color-blind.
That would rob me more than an audible loss.

For all intensive purposes though if you Go to wikipedia you will get extensive peer-reviewed info on light and color.

Basically as far as most nominal human eyes RGB is the preferred theory.

Blackness is nothing in its groundstate that is visually detectable until it emits light.
any and all light is a component of white.
White can Be broken into 3 primaries.
Each Primary is 33.33333333…% of White.
White = 100% of RGB.

400px-AdditiveColor.svg.png

Red   = 33.33333333%
Green =33.33333333 %
Blue   =33.3333333% 

Color theory is quite insightful and the incredible evolution of our biotic optics is a fascinating darwinian insight into why we don’t see infrared like a snake does with it’s pit ‘eye’ gland/organ thingamajig sensor.

From a definate and seperate trinity there is ONE sum or… there is blacknesss.
it’s almost poetic that a duality/dichotomy white/black is actually triunal RGB 333 based in our comprehension of it.

Luciferous I almost would daresay.
But I don’t believe in angels or demons.

[ Edited: 24 May 2010 01:48 AM by Electric Ashalar ]
 Signature 

Along the Vines in the Vineyard.
With a forked tongue the snake singsss…

Posted: 24 May 2010 02:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2010-05-22

The human eye has a blind spot
coneofsilence.jpg
February 25, 2008 @ 8:43 pm

http://www.doobybrain.com/2008/02/25/the-human-eye-has-a-blind-spot/

4634602375_ff99f05d8c_o.jpg

The human eye has a blind spot at the area of the retina where the optic nerve leads back into the brain. [via]

The blind spots in each eye are aligned symmetrically so that most of the time, one eye’s field of vision will compensate for the loss of vision in the other. The diagram above shows where the blind spots are located.

To find the eye’s blind spot, you can do the following tests.

In order to find the blind spot of the right eye, it is necessary to close the left eye, focus the right eye on a single point, and see if anything vanishes from vision some 20 degrees right of this point. The following diagram has a set of characters on the left hand side, and black circle on the right. Keeping your head motionless, with the right eye about 3 or 4 times as far from the page as the length of the red line, look at each character in turn, until the black circle vanishes.

This is seriously some trippy stuff!

The opposite idea works in testing the blind spot of the left eye as well. Just do the exact same as the image above, but with the left eye opened and the right eye closed.

Those are the two basic eye tests. They worked for me and now I know for sure that the blind spot in the human eye is real. This Blind Spot page has more tests that you can do.

It’s amazing how the brain assumes certain things in our field of vision so accurately despite the fact that the eyes cannot actually see what is there.

THIS IS THE COOLEST THING I’VE LEARNED ALL WEEK!

[ Edited: 24 May 2010 02:58 AM by Electric Ashalar ]
 Signature 

Along the Vines in the Vineyard.
With a forked tongue the snake singsss…

Posted: 26 May 2010 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Total Posts:  1423
Joined  2010-04-22

There are auditory illusions, too:

Shepard tone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfJa3IC1txI

There’s a missing fundamental illusion, too, but I haven’t found a good example on youtube.  When you hear pitches sounding at the same time which are consecutive on some overtone series, you brain fills in the fundamental pitch of that overtone series.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

4 of 10

‹‹ Zoom into a tooth      Dinosaur Mummy! ››