5 of 10
Great Optical Illusions (Was: Why color cannot just be wavelength).
Posted: 26 May 2010 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2006-08-28

Love this stuff!

One of my favorite books is “Masters of Deception: Escher, Dali & the Artists of Optical Illusion.” Guido Moretti is one of several artists featured. His sculptures are pretty awesome because “three observers in three different points would see three different solids.”

Signature 

Fiction is fun, but facts are fundamental.

Posted: 26 May 2010 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Electric Ashalar - 24 May 2010 01:46 AM

Hi guys.
Color-blind is an odd malady and being completely deaf in one ear I still must say at least I’m not color-blind.
That would rob me more than an audible loss.

Color blindness is actually VERY interesting. They are not blind to color, they see it differently. My dad was a color deficient with Dichromatic Protanomaly. Red and green differences were a hopeless cause for him. With three daughters (we are all carriers) with 6 sons between them, each with a 50% chance of inheritance, it is amazing that no one inherited it. As far as I can tell, my dad had one first cousin who was also color deficient. I have two nieces who have a 50% chance of being carriers, so it will be interesting to see what happens in the next generation.
Being completely deaf in one ear does not affect HOW you see sound, just how well you can locate the source and the decibels. Have a conversation about color with someone with a color deficiency, it can be very interesting to try to see the world from their point of reality.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 29 May 2010 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2010-05-22

I work alongside a relocator that constantly explains his colour-blindedness every other week to me as well as others.
Nothing anyone can do but ‘Describe’ certain hues and attach tags that are approximate to true as one not able to see the Greyscale/RGB
Reciprocal they all defeat my mono sound and deaf ear by a certain code of clarification…
If you speak to them then have usual and casual good natured conversation.
But My deafness has entreated me and defeated me as they get tired of repeating to me the words they already said twice and have resigned to repeat it a third and final time.

Simple logic is I could have an Auditory Allusion to a Visual Illusion and if you I said it once ,you said it twice but Thrice we be annoying.

So instead of endlessly repeating themselves when I kept saying…What??? Huh??? Pardon moi? as the francais say…they learned to just call me clay.
Then I know you are addressing me and not the general membership.
Colour Blindness is not correctable by any lens…But I can at least hellen’keller for colour blind friends.

Illusions are the arena of James Randi Penn /Teller

I will illuse you’s ,heh.

You’ve heard of the Bad Astronomer?
I have a Video of a really great optical Illusion titled:

“I Am the ‘Good Astronomer’ Am EYE “
Deaf as I am and monotonic phonic yet stereo scenario.

There are Natural Illusions and Man made Illusions.
They are not the same thing.
Mundane natural forces chaos and blah,,,blah…blah
Or man made Penn and Teller/James randi smoke and mirror ENGINEERED ...er Illusions.

Would A Fan of Magic be called dillusional because he keeps on HAARPing about a society of skeptics that are slight of hand practitioners themselves.

A great Optical illusion begs the question:What is your first wish…to see light you might think?

A darkness follows and apophenia replaces the actual solution groped in darkness this very post Illumes.

Do You See the Illusion in this post.
It is hid in plain sight.
between the lines code and pure black and white.

The illusion is so subtle is a photonic event that you sheild with skepticism yet still can’t prevent.
The synaptic fire as you see what I meant that it was all in your mind and you can’t repent from the present past participle.
Therefore Escher eshews Eschatology and totally Fricken Digs ANU world Order in this current system of things.

enjoy the visual cortex bombardment ...it should roughly approximate a tie-dyed t-shirt with a square emblazoned in flames at a handsomely rugged and rakish tilt.
Hell Bent by Yaweh himself and embroidered by the ghost of Betsy Ross.. Lol!

[ Edited: 30 May 2010 12:37 AM by Electric Ashalar ]
 Signature 

Along the Vines in the Vineyard.
With a forked tongue the snake singsss…

Posted: 12 August 2010 04:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14

From Richard Wiseman’s blog: the background is white throughout, but doesn’t look like it:

wave.jpg

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 12 August 2010 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

The background looks white throughout to me.  I don’t get it.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 12 August 2010 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

The background behind the yellow curves looks slightly yellow, and certainly looks darker than the background behind the purple curves.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 12 August 2010 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
dougsmith - 12 August 2010 06:56 PM

The background behind the yellow curves looks slightly yellow, and certainly looks darker than the background behind the purple curves.

I don’t see it.  Looks white to me- the same white all the way through.  I have noticed that some “optical illusions” don’t quite work with me though.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 12 August 2010 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
dougsmith - 12 August 2010 06:56 PM

I can usually see through the illusion once I know it is there, but no matter what I do, those areas still look yellow, even though intellectually I know they have to be white..

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 13 August 2010 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

In the wavy image, I see faint yellow (I’d call it beige) behind the yellow waves.  I see the slightest pale purple behind the purple waves.  And white all around the borders.  And I realize that the background is white.

On the Wikipedia optical illusion page they have that great false color illusion as the first image (Grey square optical illusion.PNG).  I think it is the best that I seen.  I could hardly believe that in the image, squares A and B are the same color, so I just had to measure it with an image editor, and they are.  Then I tried to animate it, to see how that looks, the effect looks like the color of B square is changing, but it is not changing when it is animated by putting the A and B squares in the front and dissolving the rest of the image.

The Stroop effect (say the color not the word) is not an optical illusion, but is good.  It is like the old pat-your-head-while-rubbing-your-tummy test.  But this one uses color vs. language, rather than left vs. right.  How many of you can succeed at that in under a minute, just for fun?  cool smile

I made tallersame.png to demonstrate an illusion.  I mentioned Brian Wansink’s book earlier, he thinks that putting your food in short/wide containers looks smaller and less satisfying that using tall/narrow containers because of the illusion.  His book is filled with illusions that he applys to food.  Does the image work, can you see effect?

Earlier in this thread I gave a link to the blind spot test, a web site with a variety of illusions, BTW.

[ Edited: 13 August 2010 11:53 AM by jump_in_the_pit ]
Image Attachments
tallersame.png
 Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 13 August 2010 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

They are both the same length in both pictures.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 14 August 2010 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Then Mriana didn’t see the effect.  The vertical line is supposed to look longer in the first picture.  The darkness is just to hide the rulers, the rulers prove that each line is the same length.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 15 August 2010 04:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
Mriana - 12 August 2010 06:32 PM

The background looks white throughout to me.  I don’t get it.

Ditto for me.

After I looked at it for a while, took off my glasses and looked at with the plain nearsighted eyes,  then I saw it.

This one is not as great….

Doug—can you give www address?

Posted: 15 August 2010 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Jackson - 15 August 2010 04:53 AM

Doug—can you give www address?

Richard Wiseman’s blog is at: http://richardwiseman.wordpress.com/

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 15 August 2010 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

A minor comment about the last graphics.  As we get older our ocular lenses get slightly yellow (especially if we smoked when we were younger) so we have more problem identifying minor differences in shade if the variable is yellow.  Based on this, I’d guess that the slightly yellow background would lose that color, and possibly the yellow lens would filter out a tiny bit of the blue so make the other background still look white.  However, this explanation seems odd to me that a physical difference would influence a cognitive one.

See, how can anyone expect me to agree with them when I can’t even agree with myself? smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 15 August 2010 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

The effect is strong for me whether or not I’m wearing my glasses.

Signature 

5 of 10

‹‹ Zoom into a tooth      Dinosaur Mummy! ››