6 of 10
Great Optical Illusions (Was: Why color cannot just be wavelength).
Posted: 15 August 2010 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7573
Joined  2007-03-02
Jackson - 15 August 2010 04:53 AM
Mriana - 12 August 2010 06:32 PM

The background looks white throughout to me.  I don’t get it.

Ditto for me.

After I looked at it for a while, took off my glasses and looked at with the plain nearsighted eyes,  then I saw it.

This one is not as great….

Doug—can you give www address?

Are you saying I need to put my reading glasses on to see the effect?  I’m farsighted.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 15 August 2010 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Total Posts:  7573
Joined  2007-03-02
jump_in_the_pit - 14 August 2010 07:04 PM

Then Mriana didn’t see the effect.  The vertical line is supposed to look longer in the first picture.  The darkness is just to hide the rulers, the rulers prove that each line is the same length.

I still don’t see it, but OK.  As I said before, there are honestly some of these things I don’t see what is said to be the illusion.  The two faces/candles I see both at the same time.  Witch/young woman I can find both or see a blob.

You know, I didn’t see the rulers until you told me.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 15 August 2010 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Sorry.  I didn’t make myself clear.  I wasn’t talking about lenses in one’s glasses.  Rather, I was talking about the ocular lens behind the eyes’s iris and cornea.  As we get older they change from being completely water clear to a slight shift toward the color of urine. (sorry for being graphic)  We don’t recognize the shift, but it filters out a tiny bit of the blue light and makes slightly yellow light look about the same as white to our retinas.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 15 August 2010 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 15 August 2010 09:07 PM

Sorry.  I didn’t make myself clear.  I wasn’t talking about lenses in one’s glasses.  Rather, I was talking about the ocular lens behind the eyes’s iris and cornea.  As we get older they change from being completely water clear to a slight shift toward the color of urine. (sorry for being graphic)  We don’t recognize the shift, but it filters out a tiny bit of the blue light and makes slightly yellow light look about the same as white to our retinas.

Occam

LOL! At any rate, I can see the illusion just fine!...urine or no urine!! LOL

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 16 August 2010 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

<silliness>
Heh, heh… who needs Ambervision when you’ve got tobacco and ordinary deterioration.
</silliness>

I always thought that you were talking about biology, not prescription eye-glasses Occam.  Although I wouldn’t be surprised if the smokers’ prescription eye-glasses turned yellow too heh heh… I said happy pretty yellow not some other word! smile

[ Edited: 16 August 2010 09:15 AM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 09 May 2012 04:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

Another great optical illusion from Richard Wiseman’s blog: stare at the blinking dot in the middle and one or more of the three yellow dots will disappear!

blind.gif

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 09 May 2012 04:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I love this one—very dramatic. It made me think of how easy it is to misinterpret what we see or think we see when looking at lights in the sky.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 09 May 2012 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Total Posts:  4273
Joined  2010-08-15

Totally off topic, but sort of related.  Just as I’m reading this my lady laughs out and shares an experiment she was just reading about.

Sitting at your computer, stretch out your right leg - and start making clockwise circles with your foot.
Then stretch out your right arm and in the air draw a “6”.

What happened to your rotating leg?

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 09 May 2012 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04

Cool.  On the dots, they disapeared and came back, in and out, sometimes all 3 were gone.  On the rotating leg, it reversed.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 09 May 2012 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Total Posts:  2188
Joined  2007-04-26
dougsmith - 09 May 2012 04:03 AM

Another great optical illusion from Richard Wiseman’s blog: stare at the blinking dot in the middle and one or more of the three yellow dots will disappear!

blind.gif

I decided to experiment with this a little to narrow down the variables a bit ie. is it the blinking light that makes the dots disappear?, is it the rotating shapes? So here is what I found out. First block the blinking light with your finger tip but focus on the same spot and you will see that the other dots still disappear. So the blinking light is not causing the effect it just acts as a focal point. Second, I took a screen shot of the image to freeze it and then focused on the center. The other dots didnt disappear but they did fade significantly. Then i put my eyes just a bit out of focus and concentrated on the dot with the image frozen and the dots disappeared completely.

I think then that the flashing dot serves to force you to concentrate on the center and the rotating image may serve to throw the eyes just slightly out of focus. How this causes the dots to disappear I am not sure though. It would be interesting to know if someone who is an expert in the physiology of vision has an answer. Has anyone tried to look it up?

Update: I also changed things up a bit and focused on one of the yellow dots When you do the others disappear. So the color is not the issue since the green dot disappeared as quickly as the yellow. The distance from the focal point to the disappearing dots does not seem to be critical or at least there is a range of acceptable distance since the green dot is closer to the yellow dot than the other yellow dots and they all disappeared. When I get a chance Im going to play around with the frozen image in photoshop and see if shrinking it or enlarging it, changing the colors or getting rid of the grid altogether changes the effect. If someone else gets to this experiment first let me know what happens

[ Edited: 09 May 2012 10:13 AM by macgyver ]
 Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 09 May 2012 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

Here is the explanation from a commenter at Richard Wiseman’s blog, where this was posted. I don’t know if the explanation is correct or not, but it does make sense.

Our eyes detect changes in light intensity, and if the scene does not change, our eyes jiggle a bit to stimulate the light sensitive cells (look up saccadic). The rotating background and flashing green dot supply the movement, so our eyes don’t need to jiggle. Without movement of the yellow dots, they seem to fade.

Link: http://richardwiseman.wordpress.com/2012/05/09/watch-as-your-eyes-see-nothing

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 09 May 2012 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

Interesting explanation, FIK. Thanks.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 09 May 2012 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

It makes sense to me because I know that if you are able to stare at any scene long enough without moving your gaze (which is surprisingly difficult to do) you will develop tunnel vision, effectively becoming blind to your peripheries. This setup is different, but I can see the same principles at work.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 09 May 2012 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Total Posts:  2188
Joined  2007-04-26
FreeInKy - 09 May 2012 10:58 AM

Here is the explanation from a commenter at Richard Wiseman’s blog, where this was posted. I don’t know if the explanation is correct or not, but it does make sense.

Our eyes detect changes in light intensity, and if the scene does not change, our eyes jiggle a bit to stimulate the light sensitive cells (look up saccadic). The rotating background and flashing green dot supply the movement, so our eyes don’t need to jiggle. Without movement of the yellow dots, they seem to fade.

Link: http://richardwiseman.wordpress.com/2012/05/09/watch-as-your-eyes-see-nothing

This explanation does not fit with the findings from my experiment though. You can freeze the image and with no rotating background or flashing green dot the yellow dots still disappear.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 09 May 2012 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
macgyver - 09 May 2012 11:39 AM

This explanation does not fit with the findings from my experiment though. You can freeze the image and with no rotating background or flashing green dot the yellow dots still disappear.

Funny. In that situation, the dots do not disappear for me. At least not nearly as dramatically. They may fade a bit and lose focus, but it’s not at all the same experience.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

6 of 10

‹‹ Zoom into a tooth      Dinosaur Mummy! ››