Going Back to College
Posted: 20 November 2011 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 151 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4350
Joined  2010-08-15
StephenLawrence - 17 November 2011 02:39 PM
citizenschallenge.pm - 17 November 2011 02:31 PM

But, MY issues aside,
How do you think the public should be approached so far as conveying an appreciation for our planet’s processes, and the clear and present danger current “societal” trends present for our grandkids . . . etc. etc. . . . . . . .

The public know.

What you really want to know is how to make them care.

Stephen

The following comments to this post not withstanding, I believe you have hit on the real kernel of the problem.
But perhaps slight rephrase might put it into starker focus:

The public doesn’t want to know
What you really want to know is how to make them care. . . . . . . .  Amen

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 22 November 2011 03:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 152 ]
Total Posts:  6169
Joined  2006-12-20
citizenschallenge.pm - 20 November 2011 07:10 AM

What you really want to know is how to make them care. . . . . . . .  Amen

Yes but I went on to say even that is a small part of it. People just aren’t good a prioritising things that don’t benefit them fairly immediately.

So really the answer is sustainable clean energy that saves people money and helps the economy now!

Just saw this which is interesting.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/21/news/international/saudi_arabia_solar/index.htm?iid=HP_LN

The Saudi’s are heavily investing in solar power because it makes more sense for them to sell their oil than to use it!

Stephen

Posted: 19 December 2011 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 153 ]
Total Posts:  4840
Joined  2007-10-05

Those of you who have followed this thread from the beginning will find this hilarious, but I declared a new major a couple of weeks ago. I have decided to major on Photo Communications with a minor in Environmental Science. I have a lot of photography experience, and have been going through my archives preparing a new website. After being away from serious photography for several years I have a fresh perspective on my own work and have decided I’m pretty darn good at it. My wife and I brainstormed tonight and came up with a business name: Light Craftsman. I registered the URL earlier this evening.

I started thinking about this in early October when we went to Santa Fe with our best friends and saw a photography exhibit titled Earth Now: American Photographers and the Environment. About halfway through the exhibit I looked at my wife and said, “I can do better than this.” She replied, “I know you can. What kind of camera do you want for Christmas?” She bought me a pristine used Canon EOS 1Ds Mk1 with three new Canon lenses: 24/2.8, 50/1.4 and 135/2.0L.

I have contacted the assistant dean and the professor teaching intermediate digital imaging and will take that class this spring despite not having the nine hours of prerequisites. I am enrolled in a prior learning assessment class and will place out of 12 hours of photography this spring.

I’m not only back in the environmental science game, I’m back in the photography business.

[ Edited: 19 December 2011 11:48 PM by DarronS ]
Image Attachments
crashing_wave_small.jpg
 Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 19 December 2011 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 154 ]
Total Posts:  4538
Joined  2007-08-31

Great! Then you can change your nick back to ‘fotobits’!  cheese

I had a quick glance on your Website. Great pictures. And knowing what you think about AGW, I can only say: “Show’m what’s really going on”.

But ehhh… Will you still follow some philosophy classes?

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 20 December 2011 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 155 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Well, I won’t have time to take any more philosophy classes except for Environmental Ethics. But I bought Also Sprach Zarathustra and A Theory of Justice at a used book store last week and plan to read them before the semester starts. I think I can do more good documenting how mankind is spoiling the environment than just writing about it. Besides, this will give me an excellent excuse to get out of town and spend time in national parks and national forests.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 20 December 2011 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 156 ]
Total Posts:  4538
Joined  2007-08-31
DarronS - 20 December 2011 12:02 AM

Well, I won’t have time to take any more philosophy classes except for Environmental Ethics. But I bought Also Sprach Zarathustra and A Theory of Justice at a used book store last week and plan to read them before the semester starts. I think I can do more good documenting how mankind is spoiling the environment than just writing about it. Besides, this will give me an excellent excuse to get out of town and spend time in national parks and national forests.

I never succeeded in reading ‘Also Sprach Zarathustra’. I did a few pages, but it is far from systematic philosophy. It is one long series of ideas, which, because of the ‘woolen language’, are often not understandable. If you are serious, find somebody to read it together with, maybe somebody who already knows Nietzsche. From the secondary literature I am convinced there are interesting and important ideas in it, but reading it in full is not my thing…

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 20 December 2011 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 157 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14

FWIW back at university I took a class in Nietzsche from someone who is arguably one of the leading Nietzsche scholars. He told us he couldn’t make sense of Zarathustra and so didn’t teach it. (I found Nietzsche to be basically a waste of time. A lot of poorly argued, pedestrian philosophy couched in over-baked rhetoric).

Glad to hear you’re back doing photography! Post more photos here when you have them!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 20 December 2011 05:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 158 ]
Total Posts:  3199
Joined  2011-08-15

Good change of major Darron! It sounds like you’re indulging your passion. It will definitely come out in your work. Let us know when your pictures become available on the market. You mentioned national and state parks for inspiration. Come East if you get a chance. Easern Wva. in the Fall is truly breathtaking. Vermonters who visit say that it makes them feel at home! Also, read any Herman Hesse? He was my favorite in school. I first read “damien, and later “Siddhartha and on to others. Anyway, best of luck in your endeavors.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 20 December 2011 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 159 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02
dougsmith - 20 December 2011 05:01 AM

FWIW back at university I took a class in Nietzsche from someone who is arguably one of the leading Nietzsche scholars. He told us he couldn’t make sense of Zarathustra and so didn’t teach it. (I found Nietzsche to be basically a waste of time. A lot of poorly argued, pedestrian philosophy couched in over-baked rhetoric).

Glad to hear you’re back doing photography! Post more photos here when you have them!

WOW!  Someone who agrees with me about Nietzsche!  I read some of his works and not only was not impressed, but could not figure out why others were impressed.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 20 December 2011 07:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 160 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Well, maybe I’ll skip the Nietzsche. The Rawls book is pretty thick anyway.

VA, I definitely need to get back east for some photos. I’ve spent a lot of time in the Western U.S. but haven’t had the opportunity to photograph in the Eastern U.S. I’ll have a new website up as soon as I create a logo for the business. Selling prints is a bit more complicated. I need to get proof prints made, and I need a new monitor before I can do that. My current monitor is not color accurate, so I’m going to spend $750 on a 22-inch monitor with calibration kit. Having been a full-time self-employed photographer in the past I know not to make the mistake of setting my prices too low, so my prints will not be cheap. I haven’t decided on pricing yet, but I’m thinking of offering a discount to CFI forum members.

Thanks for the encouragement. And Doug, be careful for what you ask. I could overload the CFI server with photos.

Signature 

Posted: 20 December 2011 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 161 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Then get that dam logo done - I want to see photos. (BTW, I can’t find your website. Which one is GdB looking at?)

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 20 December 2011 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 162 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

I’m not sure. Maybe he found a cached copy of my old website. I just came up with the business name last night, have to register the name this morning then will get to work on the logo. I should have some photos posted soon. I might have to put them on my personal domain until the business URL propagates.

Signature 

Posted: 20 December 2011 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 163 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14
DarronS - 20 December 2011 07:06 AM

Well, maybe I’ll skip the Nietzsche. The Rawls book is pretty thick anyway.

Rawls is a great thinker with a very persuasive theory of justice, but an impenetrably boring style of writing. I doubt you will have encountered a more turgidly written book in your life. NB!

His theory is also really very simple; I’d almost suggest going to some decent wiki-type website and getting the theory there. If you end up liking the book, great. But you may well be so turned off by boredom that you dismiss the theory.

Also, Rawls was completely uninterested in the metaphysical underpinnings of his theory: i.e. why his theory of justice is true, or if it is objectively true or not. You may not care about that, but I found that aspect of it a disappointment. (Mainly because it’s where much of my interest lies).

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 20 December 2011 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 164 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Mriana - 20 December 2011 05:43 AM

I read some of his works and not only was not impressed, but could not figure out why others were impressed.

They are probably impressed because they think they should be impressed. Anyone who will try to read Zarathustra won’t be able to take Nietzsche seriously. It had the same effect on me as the Bible has on those who lose their faith after reading it. Nietzsche was a madman.

Posted: 20 December 2011 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 165 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Alright, what philosophy books do you guys recommend I read over my winter break? I’ve read Peter Singer and found his ideas interesting, if a bit over the top in places. Has anyone written a worthwhile book on Virtue Ethics?

Signature 

11 of 14