12 of 14
Going Back to College
Posted: 20 December 2011 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 166 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

My favourite is The Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. I also liked to read Plato and Seneca. But I read that stuff when I was much younger; I don’t think I could do it now.

Posted: 20 December 2011 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 167 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15362
Joined  2006-02-14
DarronS - 20 December 2011 07:39 AM

Alright, what philosophy books do you guys recommend I read over my winter break? I’ve read Peter Singer and found his ideas interesting, if a bit over the top in places. Has anyone written a worthwhile book on Virtue Ethics?

IIRC Martha Nussbaum and Philippa Foot are famous for contemporary theories of virtue ethics. I haven’t read their stuff, but I’ve heard it’s good. You may want to check out the SEP article on virtue ethics and look for some of the books, below. I know, for example, that Bernard Williams was an excellent philosophical writer, as was Peter Geach, but they were a little earlier.

I’d suggest flipping through the pages in a bookstore or on Amazon before buying, just to be sure you like the style.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 20 December 2011 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 168 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 20 December 2011 07:45 AM

My favourite is The Meditations by Marcus Aurelius. I also liked to read Plato and Seneca. But I read that stuff when I was much younger; I don’t think I could do it now.

Meditations is one of Bill Clinton’s favorites. LINK

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 20 December 2011 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 169 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I don’t know if I would include it on my Top Ten list, but I did like it a lot. We should do our Top Ten here. Maybe I’ll open a new thread later…

Posted: 20 December 2011 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 170 ]
Total Posts:  1762
Joined  2007-10-22
DarronS - 20 December 2011 07:15 AM

I’m not sure. Maybe he found a cached copy of my old website. I just came up with the business name last night, have to register the name this morning then will get to work on the logo. I should have some photos posted soon. I might have to put them on my personal domain until the business URL propagates.

Let us know when you have it up.  I have dome some (amateur) photography myself.  I will be looking forward to seeing yours.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 20 December 2011 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 171 ]
Total Posts:  4488
Joined  2007-08-31
DarronS - 20 December 2011 07:15 AM

I’m not sure. Maybe he found a cached copy of my old website. .

This one:

homepage1mac1kom2photobitstream

Replace 1 with a dot and 2 with a slash and kom with com. Not cached, the real stuff.

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 20 December 2011 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 172 ]
Total Posts:  4782
Joined  2007-10-05

Nice find. I forgot that was still live. LOL

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 20 December 2011 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 173 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Or… LINK

Thanks

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 21 December 2011 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 174 ]
Total Posts:  6021
Joined  2009-02-26
DarronS - 20 December 2011 12:54 PM

Nice find. I forgot that was still live. LOL

Outstanding work Darron.
Your B&W remind of Ansel Adams and Fred Picker. Did you use the zone system?
You have a keen eye for balance and color, all shots bring an intimacy with subject to the viewer.
I am happy to call your work Art.

I am hoping to find a digital Canon which will accept my old lenses even with an adapter. Losing automation is but a minor problem. Saving all that work of developing and enlarging was fun when it was the only thing going, but today, Photoshop and other programs make tweaking and experimentation almost limitless.

Looking forward to more of your work with the new camera.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 21 December 2011 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 175 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
Write4U - 21 December 2011 05:34 AM

Outstanding work Darron.
Your B&W remind of Ansel Adams and Fred Picker. Did you use the zone system?

Thank you for the compliment. As the photographer I too often dwell on the ones that got away to appreciate the ones I caught.

Yes I use the Zone System (notice the present tense form). I read Adams’ and Picker’s books, and used a Zone VI modified Pentax Digital Spot Meter. I also read John Sexton’s book Quiet Light and attended some workshops at the Ansel Adams Gallery in Yosemite Valley. I shot most of the landscapes on medium format or 4x5, and had them scanned at West Coast Imaging. Nothing like a $70,000 scanner and skilled operator to bring out the detail in film. Rich Seiling at WCI taught me a lot about using light and most of what I know about PhotoShop. I have had some excellent teachers.

[ Edited: 21 December 2011 07:42 AM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 21 December 2011 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 176 ]
Total Posts:  1762
Joined  2007-10-22

Like the work Darron. I am no where near that good.

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 21 December 2011 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 177 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I took a peek, Darron, and I must say you certainly have a talent. You understand composition, the lighting is good, and many of the moments/expressions you’ve captured are excellent. Good work!

Posted: 16 December 2013 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 178 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Quick update. I met with my academic advisor today and signed up for my last three classes. Yup. One more semester and I’ll have my bachelor’s degree. I’m looking forward to May when i can put on a silly outfit and walk across a stage to get a piece of paper.

Signature 

Posted: 17 December 2013 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 179 ]
Total Posts:  3133
Joined  2011-08-15

Quick update. I met with my academic advisor today and signed up for my last three classes. Yup. One more semester and I’ll have my bachelor’s degree. I’m looking forward to May when i can put on a silly outfit and walk across a stage to get a piece of paper.

Congrats in advance Darron! And BTW, don’t skip the ceremony, you’ve earned the accolades.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 17 December 2013 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 180 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

I ain’t skipping the ceremony. I have two scholastic honor society tassels to flip across my cap.

Signature 

12 of 14