13 of 13
Going Back to College
Posted: 17 December 2013 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 181 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2245
Joined  2012-10-27
DarronS - 03 July 2009 08:11 PM

After 26 years, at the age of 54, I have decided to quit my job and go back to college. I never finished my degree because my wife got pregnant halfway through my junior year, which was her freshman year. I had enough education and experience to get a job as a journalist on the local bi-weekly newspaper. We struggled and my wife got through college with a lot of help from her parents. As I gained work experience and the economy improved in the 1990s I started making too much money to consider finishing my education.

Fast forward through the tech bubble bursting, four years as a motorsports photographer, and two years working at a local auto dealership setting appointments in the service department, and I realize I hate my job. I do not want to go to work in the morning. I’m fed up with whiney customers, coworkers who do the absolute minimum amount of work they can get away with, and mostly I’m tired of working at a job that has no rewards other than a small paycheck.

Yesterday i went to our local community college and took a placement test. I scored a 99 on the written portion, 96 on reading, and 28 on math. So I’m placing out of freshman comp and taking introductory algebra. I plan to get an associate degree in Spanish and take one math course each semester until I hit a brick wall. If I can tear down that wall I’ll pursue a degree in Earth and Planetary Sciences, which will require biology, chemistry, physics and calculus. If I run into a mathematical brick wall I’ll pursue a degree in American Studies with a concentration in Environment, Science and Technology.

Either way I’ll be much better off than I am now.

My wife is pursuing her second master’s degree (MS in Organizational Leadership and Ethics), and I am helping her with her classes. She is very smart, but has poor writing skills, so I am doing extensive editing on her papers, and have learned a lot doing so. One thing I have learned is I can make it through graduate school. But one step at a time. First, the AA in Spanish, then I’ll know which direction to go with my major. If all goes well I’ll graduate with a PhD at the age of 62 and begin my final career. I don’t care if I end up as a freelance science writer making $6,000 per year, I never want to work another customer service job.

Looks like a good plan.  I have one question, though.  Did your wife get pregnant all by herself? 

If so, it might be a good topic for your first science writing project. tongue wink

Lois

Posted: 17 December 2013 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 182 ]
Total Posts:  4626
Joined  2007-10-05

As I recall, Lois, my wife had a bit of help with the pregnancy.  LOL

It was interesting reading my intro again. I’m finishing a Bachelor of Arts in Integrated Studies with concentrations in Environmental Policy and Communications. Never did get the AA in Spanish. I need to go back to community college and do that, or spend a summer in Costa Rica taking intensive Spanish courses.

I’m still pondering grad school, but also looking for a job to pay off some debts.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 17 December 2013 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 183 ]
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2012-04-25
DarronS - 17 December 2013 12:47 PM

As I recall, Lois, my wife had a bit of help with the pregnancy.  LOL

It was interesting reading my intro again. I’m finishing a Bachelor of Arts in Integrated Studies with concentrations in Environmental Policy and Communications. Never did get the AA in Spanish. I need to go back to community college and do that, or spend a summer in Costa Rica taking intensive Spanish courses.

I’m still pondering grad school, but also looking for a job to pay off some debts.

I think it’s awesome that you’re not “giving up” in your old age wink  I know some folks who at your age have basically shut down the store, disengaged, and are basically waiting for the Reaper. I do have a question though. How in the world are you paying for this AND your wife who I think you said is also going to grad school? (And yes, this ties into my thread on Dreams are for the Wealthy). And I’m not asking facetiously, I really want to know. Maybe there’s hope for the broke.

Posted: 17 December 2013 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 184 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
CuthbertJ - 17 December 2013 04:20 PM

I think it’s awesome that you’re not “giving up” in your old age wink  I know some folks who at your age have basically shut down the store, disengaged, and are basically waiting for the Reaper. I do have a question though. How in the world are you paying for this AND your wife who I think you said is also going to grad school? (And yes, this ties into my thread on Dreams are for the Wealthy). And I’m not asking facetiously, I really want to know. Maybe there’s hope for the broke.

Thanks Cuthbert. I don’t plan to retire until I’m too feeble to move about on my own. As for paying for school, my wife’s employer paid for both her masters degrees. We’re paying for my education with a combination of student loans and out-of-pocket money. We aren’t rich, but my wife’s two masters degrees help on the job front.  wink

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 18 December 2013 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 185 ]
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2012-04-25
DarronS - 17 December 2013 04:48 PM
CuthbertJ - 17 December 2013 04:20 PM

Thanks Cuthbert. I don’t plan to retire until I’m too feeble to move about on my own. As for paying for school, my wife’s employer paid for both her masters degrees. We’re paying for my education with a combination of student loans and out-of-pocket money. We aren’t rich, but my wife’s two masters degrees help on the job front.  wink

Nice.  BTW, how solid is your marriage? wink

Posted: 18 December 2013 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 186 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Very solid. We’ve been together 29 years.

Signature 

Posted: 18 December 2013 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 187 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17
CuthbertJ - 18 December 2013 11:32 AM

Nice.  BTW, how solid is your marriage? wink

DarronS - 18 December 2013 11:33 AM

Very solid. We’ve been together 29 years.

Well CuthbertJ… Looks like that plan won’t work, eh? smile

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

13 of 13