6 of 14
Going Back to College
Posted: 20 April 2011 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4849
Joined  2007-10-05
dougsmith - 04 July 2009 05:44 AM

I will say that if you scored 99 in writing, perhaps you should consider pursuing courses that involve writing rather than math? Might be an easier row to hoe ...

Looking back over this thread, DougSmith gets the Prescience Award. I still believe I should have scored a 100 on the writing test, but because I only needed a 70 to place out of Freshman Comp One there was no sense arguing over comma usage.

I agree with Traveler regarding people who don’t want to keep learning. My maternal grandmother often said she hopes she never got too old to learn.

And Occam, studying with cute young things is a joy. Hell, just walking around campus is a joy now that the weather has gotten hot. Seems the shorts and the skirts rise with the thermometer. grin

[ Edited: 20 April 2011 04:24 PM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 20 April 2011 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Congratulations, Darron! Science writing might be the way for you to go. Goodness knows we need good science writers!
... Occam and Darron, as to the ‘cute young things’  tongue laugh

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 20 April 2011 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Sorry, Asanta, it’s just one symptom of testosterone toxicity.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 20 April 2011 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 20 April 2011 10:33 PM

Sorry, Asanta, it’s just one symptom of testosterone toxicity.  LOL

Occam

I used to tell my sons (after discretely admiring an exceptional young specimen of manhood), I can look at the flowers, and admire the beauty..even smell the fragrance. I’m not picking flowers from another person’s ‘garden’! After all, I am neither blind nor dead!!  tongue wink

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 20 April 2011 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

You’re too late, asanta.  I already gave birth to Adonis, twice over.  LOL  That didn’t come out quite right, but I do think my sons are handsome and they are magnets for girls.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 20 April 2011 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Yes, the look but don’t touch rule applies here.  Which is why my belief is that morals are defined by actions, not thoughts.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 20 April 2011 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Yes, Occam, I ‘lust in my heart’ on a regular basis. I also occasionally commit satisfying murder and exquisite torture in my mind, when some one is especially annoying! ..but I would never dream of doing it in real like (the lust….I might consider! tongue wink ). That is why I find the christian thought crimes so ridiculous.

Signature 

Posted: 20 April 2011 11:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Mriana - 20 April 2011 10:59 PM

You’re too late, asanta.  I already gave birth to Adonis, twice over.  LOL  That didn’t come out quite right, but I do think my sons are handsome and they are magnets for girls.

Perhaps I will be able to see your Adonis (squared) at the next Skepticon!  cheese

Signature 

Posted: 20 April 2011 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
asanta - 20 April 2011 11:16 PM

That is why I find the christian thought crimes so ridiculous.

The thoughts of Xians should be crimes in and of themselves, just because they are ridiculous.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 20 April 2011 11:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
asanta - 20 April 2011 11:18 PM
Mriana - 20 April 2011 10:59 PM

Perhaps I will be able to see your Adonis (squared) at the next Skepticon!  cheese

Hopefully smile

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 21 April 2011 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2011-04-20

@ DarronS,

It is wonderful that you decided to go back to school! I am currently on my way to getting an AA at my community college. It is hard going back to school after so many years out of class. I am relearning my “school skills.” It is a grand adventure! Going back to school has helped me quite a bit in other aspects of my life.

Good luck to you!

Posted: 21 April 2011 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Glad to see you’re having a great time at it Darron! Don’t change your mind too often, though. All this time has gone by and I have changed my mind several times. So I find myself in this awkward position:

In two weeks I am graduating with a degree in GENERAL STUDIES?

Blah! It sounds so…. Boring! Not what I had in mind at all! But I have all the credits accumulated from my “hobby” of taking weekend and night classes for the past few years. So here it is, a new diploma is coming. I’ll carry on taking whatever classes catch my interest. But it’s fun to get another degree in the mail, and keep my mind sharp. It is getting expensive though… perhaps I should take a break!

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 21 April 2011 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Total Posts:  4849
Joined  2007-10-05

Thanks Jules. I pretty sure I’m done changing my mind. If I had time I’d get two or three degrees. The history/philosophy degree plan has six open electives. Narrowing down the electives might be hard, but at least I have choices. My wife reminded me that in my spare time I read history and philosophy of science books to relax. I have about a dozen in the bookshelf, and more on my iPod. Might as well major in something that interests me and fits my skills.

[ Edited: 22 April 2011 10:29 AM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 22 April 2011 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Comment about the high cost of college courses:  Most of my life they were quite reasonable, but about fifteen years ago I was shocked at the per unit price they quoted.  The young woman at the registration desk said, “If you’re over fifty (delightful young thing smile ), you can qualify for the senior citizen rate.”  I checked and found that I could take all the courses I wanted at the total rate of $30 per semester.  Jules, I don’t know how old you are, but you might check to see if they offer reduced prices for older students.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 22 April 2011 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Total Posts:  4350
Joined  2010-08-15

I’ve come in on this conversation a little late. 
Congratulations Darron,
sounds like good reasons for rearranging your plans.
How was it John put it: life is what happens to you while you’re busy making plans.    grin

DarronS - 20 April 2011 11:37 AM

I enrolled in Intro to Theatre, Solar System Astronomy, Technical Physics I and Trigonometry this semester.

Nice move, I wouldn’t be surprised if Sagan and deGrasse had a theatre course or two under their belts.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

6 of 14