The Force Of Religion in Society
Posted: 04 July 2009 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2008-11-10

Being a Canadian, it’s difficult to measure what impact religion will have in America in the coming years.  If your society is anything like ours, I guess all states will eventually agree to full rights for gays and gay marriage and the like, regardless of objections from religious groups.  But I think the war between puritanism, and human freedom, is already basically over.  I mean, in the end, do what you like.  Go on Jerry Springer and Maury and express a lifestyle that other people might say is disfunctional.  The important thing is that the right for freedom of choice and expression ultimately holds sway.  Or, on the other hand, if you are in a comitted relationship, go to Ashleymadison.com and start chatting.  Or, in another sense, if you are in a comitted relationship, go to Ashleymadison.com and launch a complaint letter.  In the end, society has already resolved the issue.  Be puritan or not, it doesn’t matter.  People are doing whatever they want to.  I think at one point there was the idea that there had to be a direct war on religion, like from Christopher Hitchens and the like, to disinfranchise religion.  But really, in a secular society, religious values ultimately, over time, become marginalized, not because of an attack on a particular religion, but because the advocacy of difference and pluralism ultimately leaves any particular religious point of view as just another voice in the crowd, and while a particular religious idea may ultimately align with the secular societal norm, if it doesn’t, it eventually becomes discounted in terms of state validity.  Look at what just happened recently in India in terms of Gay rights.

Posted: 04 July 2009 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4843
Joined  2007-10-05

I am not so quick to dismiss religion’s staying power. When I was younger I thought we would have largely put racism behind us. Even though racism is illegal in many ways, I see it alive and flourishing everywhere I go. Religion is going to be with use for a long time, and we must not become complacent to the dangers radical Christians pose to our society.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 05 July 2009 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2009-05-31
fotobits - 04 July 2009 05:46 PM

I am not so quick to dismiss religion’s staying power. When I was younger I thought we would have largely put racism behind us. Even though racism is illegal in many ways, I see it alive and flourishing everywhere I go. Religion is going to be with use for a long time, and we must not become complacent to the dangers radical Christians pose to our society.

I agree with you, fotobits. Because of their sheer numbers in this country, I’m afraid that Christianity’s staying power is undeniable. Secondly, one fear of mine is that when some born-again Christians begin to see that Jesus isn’t really coming back, they’ll try to influence history by instigating wars, environmental terrorism and so on to “make” the Book of Revelations and the book of Daniel true. I know that sounds like something out of a Crichton novel, but I can’t help but think that. I really do believe that some of them are that crazy.

Signature 

Don’t live each day as it’s your last, but live each day anew, filled with optimism, hope and change!

Posted: 05 July 2009 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4843
Joined  2007-10-05

Yep, some of them are that crazy. The Bush/Cheney administration did its best to start WW III and dismantle environmental laws dating back to the Nixon era. Good thing they were incompetent or they might have done some real damage. As it is, we have a chance of recovering from the mess they left behind, if the wingnuts would only shut up long enough to give Obama a chance.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 05 July 2009 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
citizen477 - 05 July 2009 05:28 AM
fotobits - 04 July 2009 05:46 PM

I agree with you, fotobits. Because of their sheer numbers in this country, I’m afraid that Christianity’s staying power is undeniable. Secondly, one fear of mine is that when some born-again Christians begin to see that Jesus isn’t really coming back, they’ll try to influence history by instigating wars, environmental terrorism and so on to “make” the Book of Revelations and the book of Daniel true. I know that sounds like something out of a Crichton novel, but I can’t help but think that. I really do believe that some of them are that crazy.

I don’t think fundies will ever believe ‘Jesus isn’t coming back’, they will keep the goal post skating along! I do, however, believe that there are fundie idiots that will continue in their efforts to bring about ‘armageddon’ by whatever means necessary…..At any rate, they aren’t ever going away! too bad!

[ Edited: 06 July 2009 12:55 PM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 06 July 2009 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  973
Joined  2005-01-14
john76 - 04 July 2009 02:05 PM

If your society is anything like ours, I guess all states will eventually agree to full rights for gays and gay marriage and the like, regardless of objections from religious groups.

Ah, but we can count on them to dig in their heels and resist to the last ounce of their strength, and that might hold us back for decades.  When one state allows gay marriage, it’s the signal for the conservatives to get up in arms.  They actually use that as a talking point when the run for office.  I don’t think we’ll see religion lose its power in our lifetime.