1 of 3
50 Great Atheists
Posted: 04 July 2009 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I saw this and had to post it here: 
>
http://interesting-article.blogspot.com/2009/06/50-most-brilliant-atheists-of-al\l-time.html

While there are a few inclusions and omissions that may be surprising, in all, it’s a pretty good list of people who share our views.

Occam

[Note:  I’m not sure whether the “al\l-time” is correct or if it should be “all-time”.]

Posted: 04 July 2009 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  7540
Joined  2007-03-02

No it’s not.  The correct link is:  http://www.interesting-article.co.tv/2009/06/50-most-brilliant-atheists-of-all-time.html

Sadly the majority are men.  I think there were only three women in that list.  It’s too bad that can’t be changed.  I’m wondering what the reason for that is.  Are women more prone to “the God virus” or what?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 04 July 2009 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2009-04-23

Awesome link!  I’m glad to be in the company of such smarties grin

Posted: 04 July 2009 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2009-01-24

Great list! Had no idea David Gilmour was on there…surprised me, considering his latest album. Kinda makes sense though, now that you know… “This earthly heaven is enough for me.”

Time to go listen to On An Island…great album, highly recommended. smile

Signature 

“From the faith that you release comes an atheist peace.”
“I’m materialist, I ain’t no deist! It’s there for all to see, so don’t talk of hidden mystery with me.”
“Credulous at best, your desire to believe in angels in the hearts of men.”

Posted: 04 July 2009 11:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11
Mriana - 04 July 2009 05:25 PM

No it’s not.  The correct link is:  http://www.interesting-article.co.tv/2009/06/50-most-brilliant-atheists-of-all-time.html

Sadly the majority are men.  I think there were only three women in that list.  It’s too bad that can’t be changed.  I’m wondering what the reason for that is.  Are women more prone to “the God virus” or what?

My guess is that fewer women are in the spotlight. I would hope that there were at least as many women atheist. Actually, I can post a list. FFRF has more on their list.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 04 July 2009 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Yes, the FFRF does.  I forgot about that.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 05 July 2009 12:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

From the FFRF list:
Ackermann Louise Victorine
Addams, Jane
Ali, Ayaan Hirsi
Anthony, Susan B.
Mathilde Franziska Giesler Anneke
Atwood, Margaret
Barton, Clara
Marie Bashkirtseff
Margaret Knight
Bergman, Ingmar
Besant, Annie
Blake, Lillie Devereux
Bodichon, Barbara Leigh Smith
Beauvoir, Simone de
Bonheur, Rosa
Bourke-White, Margaret
Bowman, Meg
Buck, Pearl
Curie, Marie S.
Cape, Emily

The FFRF list AT LEAST 50 female atheist and freethinkers on their website. You would have though at the least, Marie Curie would have been on the other list.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 05 July 2009 12:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam - 04 July 2009 04:05 PM

I saw this and had to post it here: 
>
http://interesting-article.blogspot.com/2009/06/50-most-brilliant-atheists-of-al\l-time.html

While there are a few inclusions and omissions that may be surprising, in all, it’s a pretty good list of people who share our views.

Occam

[Note:  I’m not sure whether the “al\l-time” is correct or if it should be “all-time”.]

Thanks Occam!

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2009 06:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  4419
Joined  2008-08-14
Mriana - 04 July 2009 05:25 PM

Exactly Mriana. Who came up with that list? That could have read exactly like a who’s who of left-handers. I would guess that many examples of Atheist women are ones that are Radical in their views of more than just religion. I mean who was in that list, from modern times, that could be considered radical? George Carlin? Noam Chomsky? Linus Pauling?
For example: No Emma Goldman?
Jodie Foster, Katherine Hepburn.
From the list Asanta gave, you can see examples of a few athists(women) who actually campaigned for social-causes that were considered radical, and blasphemous for the times. Subjects that were directly involved with the pressures of religion on societies- such as Suffrage, birth control, racism, homosexuality etc…Ohh, and Labor Issues too…women were big on that.
Just like the list above, that is predominantly male…mostly it is a list of atheists who made a mark in life for more benign, contemporary ideals. Or the ideals were ones which attacked norms from a collateral angle.
My point is, it would seem that women who are known for atheism, and the adjoining social causes, are more direct in their attacks on norms, and of course there can be no doubt that they were more persecuted, and sidelined for their views.

[ Edited: 05 July 2009 11:21 AM by VYAZMA ]
 Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 05 July 2009 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

And so many women, like Joyce Carol Oates, prefer not to say the “A” word for whatever reason, but they are not exactly silent because they voice their thoughts in writing.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 05 July 2009 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

I think that women, right up into the 1980’s, maybe beyond, had an extra burden of weight, along side of what ever social causes they were campaigning, or writing for, or marching for.
Obviously they didn’t have equality right up until the 80’s. So campaigning for causes that could parallel atheism, or were hand in hand with atheism(especially in the late 1800’s-1940’s)Suffrage, Tolerance, Labor, Childrens rights, birth control etc..These had to be delivered more forthright and direct..because obviously they were going to be met with disdain from the Establishment.
I have always appreciated the value of this Power Center, that is still today being silenced. Probably one of the reasons that John76 was talking about when he referred to the Sexualization/Culture influences that so many women get trapped into at times.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 05 July 2009 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I noted that I had some questions about the list, and I certainly agree that more women should have been there.  Until recently few women were given a platform or allowed to state their ideas publicly. 

And by the way, Vyazma,

That could have read exactly like a who’s who of left-handers.

So, what do you have against left handers?  LOL

Occam (not as militant about my handedness as I am about my atheism).

Posted: 05 July 2009 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

If you have noticed in the recent news, women can STILL lose custody of their children, when divorcing, if they carry the label of ‘atheist’. smirk

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2009 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
Occam - 05 July 2009 01:13 PM

I noted that I had some questions about the list, and I certainly agree that more women should have been there.  Until recently few women were given a platform or allowed to state their ideas publicly. 

And by the way, Vyazma,

That could have read exactly like a who’s who of left-handers.

So, what do you have against left handers?  LOL

Occam (not as militant about my handedness as I am about my atheism).

Nothing Occam. I realize the list is just meant to put Atheists in the light of the Mainstream.  That has good value.
Certainly many of the atheists through history wouldn’t necessarily want to be highlighted by an organization trying to shine light on the diversity of atheists. On all kinds of levels. rolleyes

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2009 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2009-01-24
asanta - 05 July 2009 12:10 AM

From the FFRF list:
Addams, Jane
Ali, Ayaan Hirsi
Anthony, Susan B.
Atwood, Margaret
Barton, Clara
Marie Bashkirtseff
Margaret Knight
Bergman, Ingmar
Besant, Annie
Blake, Lillie Devereux
Beauvoir, Simone de
Bonheur, Rosa
Bourke-White, Margaret
Bowman, Meg
Buck, Pearl
Curie, Marie S.
Cape, Emily

The FFRF list AT LEAST 50 female atheist and freethinkers on their website. You would have though at the least, Marie Curie would have been on the other list.

Ingmar Bergman’s a man. Probably confused his name with Ingrid Bergman.

Just sayin’.

Signature 

“From the faith that you release comes an atheist peace.”
“I’m materialist, I ain’t no deist! It’s there for all to see, so don’t talk of hidden mystery with me.”
“Credulous at best, your desire to believe in angels in the hearts of men.”

Posted: 05 July 2009 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
cmbf117 - 05 July 2009 04:22 PM
asanta - 05 July 2009 12:10 AM

From the FFRF list:
Addams, Jane
Ali, Ayaan Hirsi
Anthony, Susan B.
Atwood, Margaret
Barton, Clara
Marie Bashkirtseff
Margaret Knight
Bergman, Ingmar
Besant, Annie
Blake, Lillie Devereux
Beauvoir, Simone de
Bonheur, Rosa
Bourke-White, Margaret
Bowman, Meg
Buck, Pearl
Curie, Marie S.
Cape, Emily

Ingmar Bergman’s a man. Probably confused his name with Ingrid Bergman.

Just sayin’.

Yep….copied the wrong name, she’s there too! Thanks!

Signature 

1 of 3