2 of 3
50 Great Atheists
Posted: 05 July 2009 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Vyazma, I was just putting you on.  I wasn’t referring to the focus of your post, only the comment about left-handedness, since I’m left handed. smile

Occam

Posted: 07 July 2009 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  403
Joined  2007-08-26

They somehow managed to miss Nietzsche, Camus, and Beauvoir. Yet they included the guy who
invented Facebook and the guy who produces “Dr. Who”? And this list is labeled “The 50 Most
Brilliant Atheists Of All Time”? Really? The almost exclusive emphasis on people who, while
ephemeral, have current “name-brand recognition”, says pretty much everything that needs
to be said about our culture.

Signature 

—————————————————
http://www.StephenJGallagher.com
http://StephenJGallagher.blogspot.com

Posted: 07 July 2009 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2007-08-26
Occam - 05 July 2009 04:44 PM

Vyazma, I was just putting you on.  I wasn’t referring to the focus of your post, only the comment about left-handedness, since I’m left handed. smile

Occam

We lefties are creative, bright, and totally brilliant. My mom told me that when I was a tyke, so I know it’s true. Interesting “leftie”
story:  my maternal grandfather was a southpaw. He was raised in an orphanage by nuns. They thought lefthandedness was “from
Satan”, so to “correct” him they used to tie his left hand so he was forced to use his right. It worked, he became right handed. And
when they untied his left hand, he became .... wait for it .... left handed again.

Signature 

—————————————————

Posted: 07 July 2009 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11
steveg144 - 07 July 2009 07:55 AM

They somehow managed to miss Nietzsche, Camus, and Beauvoir. Yet they included the guy who
invented Facebook and the guy who produces “Dr. Who”? And this list is labeled “The 50 Most
Brilliant Atheists Of All Time”? Really? The almost exclusive emphasis on people who, while
ephemeral, have current “name-brand recognition”, says pretty much everything that needs

Funny that, they didn’t mention any of us either!!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 07 July 2009 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  7540
Joined  2007-03-02
steveg144 - 07 July 2009 07:58 AM

Occam

We lefties are creative, bright, and totally brilliant. My mom told me that when I was a tyke, so I know it’s true. Interesting “leftie”
story:  my maternal grandfather was a southpaw. He was raised in an orphanage by nuns. They thought lefthandedness was “from
Satan”, so to “correct” him they used to tie his left hand so he was forced to use his right. It worked, he became right handed. And
when they untied his left hand, he became .... wait for it .... left handed again.

I’m a leftie.  :D Except when I write.  My mother said I was switched in school.  Yes, I had some un-brilliant teachers.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 07 July 2009 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  9292
Joined  2006-08-29

I can use both hands (and both feet when I used to play soccer as a kid) to almost an equal degree, depending on the activity. (My uncle has the same ability.) I still use my right hand to write (not always), but I prefer to paint with my left hand. I also prefer my left hand to hammer a nail. It’s a gift I am glad to have, especially in tennis, for example, where it gives me great advantages.

Posted: 07 July 2009 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2007-08-26
asanta - 07 July 2009 08:50 AM
steveg144 - 07 July 2009 07:55 AM

Funny that, they didn’t mention any of us either!!

That’s cause none of us’n's are on the TEE-vee.

wink

Signature 

—————————————————

Posted: 07 July 2009 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11
Mriana - 07 July 2009 09:34 AM
steveg144 - 07 July 2009 07:58 AM

Occam

I’m a leftie.  :D Except when I write.  My mother said I was switched in school.  Yes, I had some un-brilliant teachers.

My mom was a leftie who was ‘switched’ in school. You should have seen her play baseball. She was a good player, but she threw and caught with the same hand, and batted leftie!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 07 July 2009 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  7540
Joined  2007-03-02
asanta - 07 July 2009 03:11 PM

My mom was a leftie who was ‘switched’ in school. You should have seen her play baseball. She was a good player, but she threw and caught with the same hand, and batted leftie!

I bat, catch, and throw left handed.  I never was a very good ball player.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 07 July 2009 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  4419
Joined  2008-08-14

Occam

Yeah, Occam- I read you loud and clear. I had actually put in funny joke about left handedness to accentuate the humor but I took it out at the last minute.
I like Steve’s “left-handed story”. ...“untied his left, and he was a lefty again…”!! LOL

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 27 October 2009 02:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
Chicken - 04 July 2009 05:42 PM

Awesome link!  ....

I agree.

though Bruce Lee seemed an odd match…

Posted: 28 October 2009 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-10-28
asanta - 05 July 2009 01:42 PM

If you have noticed in the recent news, women can STILL lose custody of their children, when divorcing, if they carry the label of ‘atheist’. smirk

That is disgusting!

Posted: 14 December 2009 05:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2009-11-18

On the list given above at least one atheist on it is a known cheat.

Miss Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

This is what BBC said about her:

Caught up in a row over her Dutch citizenship, she resigned from parliament in May and said she would leave the Netherlands.

Her troubles began when Immigration Minister Rita Verdonk said she should be stripped of her passport because of falsifications in her asylum application when she came to the Netherlands in 1992.

But after the decision sparked uproar, Ms Verdonk made a major U-turn and said Ms Hirsi Ali could keep her Dutch citizenship after all.

It will not be enough to keep the 36-year-old in the country, however.

She has been offered a job at a Washington-based conservative think-tank, the American Enterprise Institute, starting in September.

As one of the Netherlands’ most prominent politicians, the swiftness of Ms Hirsi Ali’s fall took observers by surprise.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4985636.stm

Yet the “objective” Time Magazine has named Ayaan Hirsi Ali as an influential thinker. Thats says a lot about the editors of the Magazine. She was evidently not “thinking” when she was engaged in deceiving the Dutch Immigration.
Now, she is an American think-tank This “thinking tank” had previously help design the desasterous Iraq war. The American Enterprise Institute in Washington will no doubt have some some position for such a person as Miss Ali.

Signature 

—-
-

Posted: 14 December 2009 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Just goes to show that people are not monolithic and cannot be judged by one characteristic.  There are honest and dishonest, ethical and unethical, intelligent and unintelligent left and right handers, Moslems, Catholics, Jews, Atheists, Democrats, Republicans. 

I just couldn’t stretch myself to the point of putting conservatives on the list, and the American Enterprise Institute is an extremely conservative “think tank” that has the job of publicizing false, nauseating propaganda.  It seems that she’s found a match for the rest of her ethics.

On the other hand, Ray, would you claim that ther are no unethical Moslims? 

Occam

Posted: 15 December 2009 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2009-11-18

Occam, that would be an absurd thing for me to claim. Of course there are bad muslims.

Only Messengers of God are Pure from all immorality. They do not commit any immoral act.

But their alleged followers are a different matter altogether.

There are many muslims who are unethical, some are down right evil, such as Saddam, Bin Laden, etc…

Such men give God and other muslims a bad name.

[ Edited: 15 December 2009 05:44 AM by ray ]
 Signature 

—-
-

2 of 3