3 of 3
50 Great Atheists
Posted: 15 December 2009 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14
ray - 15 December 2009 05:40 AM

Occam, that would be an absurd thing for me to claim. Of course there are bad muslims.

Only Messengers of God are Pure from all immorality. They do not commit any immoral act.

But their alleged followers are a different matter altogether.

There are many muslims who are unethical, some are down right evil, such as Saddam, Bin Laden, etc…

Such men give God and other muslims a bad name.

Messengers of God!!??

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 15 December 2009 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2009-11-18

Yes, thats is exactly what is written in the Koran. Its very reasonable:

Messengers are God’s top men through whom He sends messages to the rest of us.

You didnt really think that people like Hitler are deserving to get a personal home visit by the Almighty, did you?

Signature 

—-
-

Posted: 15 December 2009 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
ray - 15 December 2009 09:25 AM

Yes, thats is exactly what is written in the Koran. Its very reasonable:

Messengers are God’s top men through whom He sends messages to the rest of us.

You didnt really think that people like Hitler are deserving to get a personal home visit by the Almighty, did you?

How do they know whether or not they are messengers of God? Perhaps they are messengers of Satan without knowing it. Or perhaps they are messengers of the voices in their heads that are due to mental illness or an overactive imagination.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 15 December 2009 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Quoting Ray:

On the list given above at least one atheist on it is a known cheat.

Miss Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

My point, Ray, was that your pointing out that on a list there was an atheist who was unethical seems to have been meant as a way of traducing all atheists.  I was merely responding that one could not expect uniform high or low ethics from all members of any theological or non-theological group.  Until now, Ray, you have been quite reasonable and courteous.  I was just a bit surprised at, what I felt was a small amount of subtle slander from you.

Occam

Posted: 15 December 2009 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
ray - 14 December 2009 05:13 AM

On the list given above at least one atheist on it is a known cheat. Miss Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

You carefully chose which part of the article to post in order to show her in the worse possible light. Reading the entire article shows a bit of a different story…

...and really, the overuse this bold stuff as if coming down from ‘god’ is very annoying, not impressing ANYONE and doing nothing to promote your argument.

[ Edited: 15 December 2009 09:54 PM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 16 December 2009 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2009-11-18
Occam - 15 December 2009 07:50 PM

My point, Ray, was that your pointing out that on a list there was an atheist who was unethical seems to have been meant as a way of traducing all atheists. 

I was merely responding that one could not expect uniform high or low ethics from all members of any theological or non-theological group. 

Until now, Ray, you have been quite reasonable and courteous.  I was just a bit surprised at, what I felt was a small amount of subtle slander from you.

Occam

Yes, I have given you that wrong impression. I am sorry; I meant nothing of the sort.

I have hurt you. Please forgive me.

Among my friends are some atheists who are of much higher moral character than my fellow religionists.

[ Edited: 16 December 2009 06:39 AM by ray ]
 Signature 

—-
-

Posted: 16 December 2009 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  219
Joined  2007-05-20
Occam - 04 July 2009 04:05 PM

I saw this and had to post it here: 

Actually this forum is for Humanism, please post atheism in Religion and Secularism. Otherwise rename the forum, please, and be done with it.

Your friendly Moderator -

Signature 

Dwight Jones
http://www.humanism.ws
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

“Our lives teach us who we are.”
-Salman Rushdie

Posted: 16 December 2009 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

Where the devil did you find that, Martinus?  I don’t recall ever posting that, and it’s not in this thread.  It doesn’t even sound like my writing.

Occam

Posted: 16 December 2009 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2007-05-20
Occam - 16 December 2009 01:03 PM

Where the devil did you find that, Martinus?  I don’t recall ever posting that, and it’s not in this thread.  It doesn’t even sound like my writing.

Occam

How ‘bout the first post in this thread?

>
http://interesting-article.blogspot.com/2009/06/50-most-brilliant-atheists-of-al\l-time.html

While there are a few inclusions and omissions that may be surprising, in all, it’s a pretty good list of people who share our views.

Occam

[Note:  I’m not sure whether the “al\l-time” is correct or if it should be “all-time”.]

Signature 

Dwight Jones

-Salman Rushdie

Posted: 16 December 2009 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2006-10-22
Martinus - 16 December 2009 12:57 PM
Occam - 04 July 2009 04:05 PM

Actually this forum is for Humanism, please post atheism in Religion and Secularism. Otherwise rename the forum, please, and be done with it.

Your friendly Moderator -

Ah, I see the problem.  You are having trouble with using the quotation symbols properly.  It appears that I said the “Actually. . .” and signed it “your friendly moderator”.  I did neither of these things.

First, it’s apparent that you that you didn’t like my locating this thread in this sub-forum.  To that, I say, you may be right but three pages of posts responding to it don’t seem too upset.

Second, you may have meant “Your friendly Moderator” as a joke, but you are not a moderator, and including it in the quotation paragraph made it look like I had said it. 

Sorry if my loose positioning of this thread offended you, but if you require greater precision, it may be worthwhile if we both try to practice it.

Occam
====
P.S. Interesting.  I used the {/quote} control at the end of Martinus’ post above, but it didn’t take.  Instead, the quotation gray field appeared to show that Martinus had said everything in this post.  I had go go back and add a second {/quote} to make it end the field.  So, Martinus, it may be that the problem wasn’t your misuse of the controls, but rather a glitch in the over-all program.  If that’s the case, please accept my apology.

[ Edited: 16 December 2009 06:33 PM by Occam ]

Posted: 16 December 2009 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2007-05-20

At least we understand each other.  wink

Signature 

Dwight Jones

-Salman Rushdie

Posted: 26 December 2009 03:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  695
Joined  2007-10-14
Mriana - 04 July 2009 05:25 PM

Sadly the majority are men.  I think there were only three women in that list.  It’s too bad that can’t be changed.  I’m wondering what the reason for that is.  Are women more prone to “the God virus” or what?

`
Check this out Mriana….I just came across this yesterday (it takes about 2min into the vid before the ‘list’ starts):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXaYWottYtY

It’s certainly not exhaustive, but I was happy to stumble across it (and happy to see Kathy Griffin get a shout out! :)

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

3 of 3