Jesus’ not Jesus’s, but Dawkins’s not Dawkins’
Posted: 08 July 2009 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I was surprise to find out that when creating a possessive from a name that ends with an “s” and is of a biblical nature (Jesus’ teaching) you don’t add an “s” at the end.  The same applies to other historical and classical characters, such as Achilles or even Dickens. So go figure. What a mess! So “Dickens’” (the writer) doesn’t have an “s” at the end because he lived in the nineteenth century and was famous, but your neighbour who’s last name happens to be also Dickens would have one. I swear to Zeus, English is gonna be my death one day…

[ Edited: 08 July 2009 11:30 AM by George ]

Posted: 08 July 2009 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14
George - 08 July 2009 11:09 AM

I was surprise to find out that when creating a possessive from a name that ends with an “s” and is of a biblical nature (Jesus’ teaching) you don’t add an “s” at the end.  The same applies to other historical and classical characters, such as Achilles or even Dickens. So for figure. What a mess! So “Dickens’” (the writer) doesn’t have an “s” at the end because he lived in the nineteenth century and was famous, but your neighbour who’s last name happens to be also Dickens would have one. I swear to Zeus, English is gonna be my death one day…

Where’d you get that? I’ll have to check my Strunk and White ...

wink

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 08 July 2009 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
dougsmith - 08 July 2009 11:17 AM

Where’d you get that? I’ll have to check my Strunk and White ...

wink

I got it from The Globe and Mail Style Book. But I should have added that it also says the following:

If there is truly doubt or dispute and no recent Globe usage to fall back on, add an apostrophe and an s (as Strunk and White advice).

Posted: 08 July 2009 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2009-04-23

I thought you could use ‘s or just an if the proper name ended in s.  That is what I was taught in grammar school.

Posted: 08 July 2009 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Chicken - 08 July 2009 11:34 AM

I thought you could use ‘s or just an if the proper name ended in s.  That is what I was taught in grammar school.

Yes, I have noticed that most people (except for Doug and most books I read) don’t use an s at the end. But I have checked two different style guides and they both say that an s should be there — except for the example in my OP. (I have been following this for some time now because two of my sons’ names end with an s.)

Posted: 08 July 2009 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I have no problem when I just add a final apostophe without adding an s to whatever I write because no one I know wants to argue with a crotchety, aggressive, old fud, nitpicker.  LOL

Occam

Posted: 09 July 2009 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2009-04-23
George - 08 July 2009 11:41 AM
Chicken - 08 July 2009 11:34 AM

Yes, I have noticed that most people (except for Doug and most books I read) don’t use an s at the end. But I have checked two different style guides and they both say that an s should be there — except for the example in my OP. (I have been following this for some time now because two of my sons’ names end with an s.)

My son’s name ends in s also.  He is named after an ancient god, does that mean I don’t need the s?  I rather like not using the s.

Posted: 09 July 2009 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

My (sur)name used to end in an ‘s’ and I always just put a ’ after it to denote the possessive, as I do with my son’s name. That is what I was taught in elementary school and I have never had a complaint or ‘correction’ LOL

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 09 July 2009 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Yes, as I said earlier most people use apostrophe only.

I suspect the reason why it seems so difficult to agree on a set of rules in English is perhaps because the language is constantly evolving. How many times have I only heard when trying to find out what a certain rule may be: “Do whatever you feel is right.”  long face

[ Edited: 10 July 2009 06:19 AM by George ]

Posted: 09 July 2009 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  4836
Joined  2007-10-05

Associated Press style is to add an apostrophe only, as in Dawkins’.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 09 July 2009 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

I find that the best course of action is to guess, and then let someone snooty correct me.  LOL

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 09 July 2009 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

There is no real “right” and “wrong” to these things; it’s all cultural. That’s why I can understand it either with or without an “s”, but the option George mentioned in the OP makes no freaking sense at all. It’s the sort of thing designed by people who want to be sure that there are insiders and outsiders, where the insiders know all the secret signs and handshakes.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 10 July 2009 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
dougsmith - 09 July 2009 04:53 PM

There is no real “right” and “wrong” to these things; it’s all cultural.

I wonder where the reason for this confusion comes from. How about this for a possible explanation: “Dawkins’” looks better than “Dawkins’s”, but we do pronounce two ss at the end. One s looks better, but two ss sound better.

Posted: 10 July 2009 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
George - 10 July 2009 06:31 AM

I wonder where the reason for this confusion comes from. How about this for a possible explanation: “Dawkins’” looks better than “Dawkins’s”, but we do pronounce two ss at the end. One s looks better, but two ss sound better.

Well, there’s something to be said for simplicity: Always put an ‘s at the end for a possessive, unless it’s also a plural in which case put s’.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 10 July 2009 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
dougsmith - 10 July 2009 06:36 AM
George - 10 July 2009 06:31 AM

Well, there’s something to be said for simplicity: Always put an ‘s at the end for a possessive, unless it’s also a plural in which case put s’.

Good point.