Just read the post below.

Signature 

Know Thyself

Posted: 06 May 2006 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2006-04-28

This had an impact on me

So I’m curious what everyone has seen, listened to or read thats had a dramatic effect on them. I’ll list a few sources thats had an impact on me to get started!  :D

Books:
Enders Game series by Orson Scott Card, E
Fabric of The Cosmos by Brian Green, About the string theory and explaining the universe
Mans Search For Meaning by Victor Frankl, logotherapy, and taking control of oneself, existianlism.
A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawkings

Movies: Groundhogs Day, Run Lola Run, The Matrix, and The God Who Wasn’t There.

Music:John Lennon, NiN, Dijf and Dijf Sanders

How about everyone else? smile

Signature 

Know Thyself

Posted: 07 May 2006 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2006-04-08

Books:

Man’s Search for Meaning.  (me too, Teeth)
Fountainhead -  Ayn Rand

Movies:

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

There are others, but I’m too lazy to think of them atm.

Posted: 07 May 2006 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2006-03-09

Books
Consillience:  The Unity of Knowledge, by Edward O. Wilson
Life After God, by Douglas Coupland
What We Talk About When We Talk About Love, by Raymond Carver
Being There, by Jerzy Kosinsky

Films
Bladerunner
Alien (I and II)
Contact
Anything by Alejandro Jodorowsky

Music
Tool
Devo
Talking Heads
Coil
Dead Can Dance
Bartok

Signature 

This is my signature.

Posted: 07 May 2006 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-28

If you liked bladerunner, you might want to read the book!

The book is by Philip K. Dick and its called Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep? I loved this book and it has so much philosophical meaning inside, i ended up doing a report on it when i had a freechoice of books to read for philosophy. smile

Signature 

Know Thyself

Posted: 07 May 2006 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15343
Joined  2006-02-14

Too many to name.

Some ideas:

Books:

Borges
David Lewis
Plato
Galileo

Documentaries/Movies:

COSMOS (Carl Sagan)
Civilisation (Sir Kenneth Clarke)
Anything by David Attenborough
2001: A Space Odyssey
Star Trek
Babylon 5

Music:

Richard Wagner
Johann Sebastian Bach
Dimitri Shostakovich
Antonin Dvorak
Philip Glass
Steve Reich

Art/Architecture:

Michaelangelo
Rembrandt
Monet
Da Vinci
D?rer
Frank Lloyd Wright
Gaudi
Bill Viola

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 07 May 2006 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-28

to bad i cant find the rest of it by sagan, looks damn good!

Signature 

Know Thyself

Posted: 07 May 2006 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15343
Joined  2006-02-14

Carl Sagan’s Cosmos is the best, bar none. Buy, rent, download, whatever.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 22 May 2006 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-28

[quote author=“dougsmith”]Carl Sagan’s Cosmos is the best, bar none. Buy, rent, download, whatever.

I just bought The Elegant Universe DVD pretty cheap on Ebay, can’t wait! I also found the root of all Evil with richard dawkins awesome and The God That Wasn’t There.

Signature 

Know Thyself

Posted: 23 May 2006 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2005-06-28

Book: Harry Potter
If it wasn’t for this book that a radical christian hate I may not be an atheist today. Why? It made me think about religion in general.

Signature 

Fighting the evil belief that there is a god(s).

Posted: 23 May 2006 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-04-28

[quote author=“theatheistheretic”]Book: Harry Potter
If it wasn’t for this book that a radical christian hate I may not be an atheist today. Why? It made me think about religion in general.

Wow that is a big impact!
My conclusion resulting in atheism was my step father being an atheist, he was always silent about it, but he was a great guy, later on I read a book enders game which led me to think about root causes of everything, and then college courses in top of that.

I really think that my step father being an atheist and a strong influence on me planted that seed of skepticism in me. Even though he never preached a word of it to me, and i still went to christian schools, church and various other activities. Then again, I always had a knack for science believing it thoroughly as a child and entering contests, and asking questions. Science was my passion as a child, i either wanted to literally be a geologist or an airplane lol :oops:

Signature 

Know Thyself

Posted: 04 July 2006 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2006-04-27
[quote author=“dougsmith”]Carl Sagan’s Cosmos is the best, bar none. Buy, rent, download, whatever.

Did you see that the Science Channel had redone the visuals (which I personally loved, especially Sagan in the starship haha) and dubbed Sagan over it? I didnt get to see it, only the commercials :(

The following media affected me drastically

Books:

The Cosmic Rape by Theodore Sturgeon
Anything by Sagan
Anything by Dawkin
Anything by Isaac Asimov (specifically: Foundation Series, and his essays)
Why I’m Not a Christian and other essays by Bertrand Russell
The Bible (c’mon admit it: it has affected us wink )
The Still by David Feintuch
Starship Troopers/The Cat Who Walks Through Walls/Sranger in a Strange land by Robert A. Heinlein
Lost Rights - James Bovard
Crashing the Party by Ralph Nader
Bill Shakespear

Movies:

Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Rain Man
Some movie from the 60’s about this half-euroamerica/half-native american who faught in vietnam as a green beret and comes back to his western town and beats the crap out of the local racist jerks. It was a really empowering movie for a 15 year old.

music:
Frank Zappa
Neutral Milk Hotel
The Beatles
Simon and Garfunkel
Nirvana (hey, I was angsty)
Rage Against the Machine (angst)
Lou Reed

Plays/Musicals:
Whose Life is it, Anyway?

Signature 

Our love of what is beautiful does not lead to extravagance; our love of things of the mind does not make us soft.—Thucydides, Book II

Posted: 05 July 2006 03:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  934
Joined  2005-01-14

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy!

Posted: 16 July 2006 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  187
Joined  2006-07-14

Additions not listed above

Here are some additions not listed above (except some items that I think are worthy of yet another listing):

BOOKS
——————————————————————-
Six Roads from Newton: Great Discoveries in Physics by Edward Speyer
I think this is the only book from this author . . .  and it is one of the best never talked about books I have read on physics.

Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman! (Adventures of a Curious Character) by Richard P. Feynman, Ralph Leighton, Edward Hutchings, and Albert R. Hibbs

What Do You Care What Other People Think?: Further Adventures of a Curious Character by Richard Phillips Feynman, Ralph Leighton

Six Easy Piecesby Richard Feyman

A World of Ideas : Conversations With Thoughtful Men and Women About American Life Today and the Ideas Shaping Our Future by Bill Moyers
Transcribed from the television series by the same name. Here is a fantastic accompolation of interviews with interesting, thoughtful people. I read back through this book like a reference, it’s timeless. The interview between Moyers and Isaak Asimov is a must read for any secularist.

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
by Carl Sagan, Ann Druyan
This is Carl Sagan’s last book, finished soon before he died, and when reading it I got the sense that he knew he would not live to write another. It offers a great overview of what science is and isn’t and should I think be read by all skeptics. I have this book on audio, and have listened to the final chapters countless times during long road trips.

A Spell For Chameleon Piers Anthony
I haven’t read this book since I was a kid, but I loved it then, and I still think of it as my favorite childhood book.  Piers Anthony is very good at posing interesting ideas and introducing fresh concepts in his books. The first book or two in any one of his ‘anthonologies’ are almost always at least interesting and thought provoking - though the stories themselves can get a little trite - and the Xanth stuff got tiresome. His “Blue Adept” series I liked too.

MOVIES
——————————————————————————-
Contact - adapted of course from Carl Sagan’s book. I actually liked the movie more than the book.

GATICA

The Matrix
but not the sequals - which I think strayed from the philisophical coolness of the first.

The Thing - John Carpenter

The Life of Brian Monte Python

The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara

TELEVISON
———————————————————————————-
A World of Ideas : Conversations With Thoughtful Men and Women About American Life Today and the Ideas Shaping Our Future by Bill Moyers.
This series had a profound -profound effect on me. I truly love Bill Moyers; I admire his approach and thoughtfulness and professionalism. Even if you aren’t a fan of Moyers, everyone shold watch the great interview he has with Issaac Asimov.

Cosmos
I used to skip school in the afternoon, go back home into the basement, turn off all the lights and engourge myself in each episode. That’s how deeply I loved this program. I return and watch some of the episodes and it still has that same inspirational effect on me.

Babylon 5
Quite seriously, after watching B5, I couldn’t stomach watching other Sci-Fi TV, because the others suffered so badly by comparison. Take the time to watch . . . many of the episodes are very average, but your time will ultimately be rewarded. I wasn;t necessarily crazy about the wauy the series ended, but, oh well.

Star Trek - the original and The Next Generation
TNG episodes with Dr. Polasky are the best . . .  Polasky added a critical edge to the otherwise too perfect world of the Federation. I love her polite bigotry toward data. It created great dialogue. The episode in the holodeck when a holodeck charcter become conscious is great too.

Law And Order
What a great series of shows. I especially enjoy the Special Crimes Unit. I saw an epsisode last week where recently release sex crime offenders were being stalked and killed . . . one of the best television dramas I’ve ever watched.

The Power of Nightmares - A BBC Documentary film about the co-dependent rise of fundamentalist movements in the U.S. and the Middle East.

MUSIC (not already mentioned)
———————————————————————
Incubus (great stuff!)

Peter Gabriel

ART
———————————————————————-
Van Gogh

Jasper Johns

Louise Nevelson

James Whistler

Goya

James Stephen George

GAMES (the best tools for getting a reality check on the state of your critical thinking)
—————————————————
Connect Four (teach a 6yr old strategy)

Stratego (teach a 9 year old strategy and the art of bluffing)

Blockus

Acquire

Fortess America

Posted: 22 July 2006 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  187
Joined  2006-07-14

someone I think should make this thread a ‘sticky’ . . I’d love to refer back to it.

Posted: 22 July 2006 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-02-23

I agree and I did try it. The software is utterly worthless, the center is getting back in value exactly what they paid for it. Nothing. I have no Idea who can make a sticky, Usually it is the moderators but I can’t do it.
Jim

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/1/
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)

1 of 3