2 of 2
Politically Correct Dumbness
Posted: 11 July 2009 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

After some seltzer water and paper towels, my next step in stain removal was going to be calling over my dog over and saying “get it boy! masala sauce! get it boy!”  LOL

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 12 July 2009 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14

I love it, Occam. Gotta remember you’re a resource the next time I have a stain to remove!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 12 July 2009 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 11 July 2009 09:14 PM

After some seltzer water and paper towels, my next step in stain removal was going to be calling over my dog over and saying “get it boy! masala sauce! get it boy!”  LOL

Please do let us know how things come out!! LOL

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 13 July 2009 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Oh good lord, I just noticed that Jule’s stain was from Indian food.  That means the main fabric dye wasn’t from the tomato (which isn’t all that hard to remove) but from turmeric.  That’s a totally different story.  After you’ve gotten rid of the rest of the food particles and oil using the procedure I listed, you may as well try Oxyclean.  I love turmeric in Indian food, but I hate it on clothes.  About all you can do if it’s still there is get a piece of chalk and rub it in when the fabric is dry to mask the color.

Occam

Posted: 13 July 2009 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Occam - 13 July 2009 02:18 PM

Oh good lord, I just noticed that Jule’s stain was from Indian food.  That means the main fabric dye wasn’t from the tomato (which isn’t all that hard to remove) but from turmeric.  That’s a totally different story.  After you’ve gotten rid of the rest of the food particles and oil using the procedure I listed, you may as well try Oxyclean.  I love turmeric in Indian food, but I hate it on clothes.  About all you can do if it’s still there is get a piece of chalk and rub it in when the fabric is dry to mask the color.

One question I have (and that Billy Mays never quite explicated to my satisfaction in his exhaustive and thorough commercials) is what precisely Oxyclean is and how it’s different from bleach. I mean, I know it is different from bleach, but how? Is it some sort of enzyme? How does it work, and on what sorts of stains?

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 13 July 2009 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
dougsmith - 13 July 2009 02:23 PM

One question I have (and that Billy Mays never quite explicated to my satisfaction in his exhaustive and thorough commercials) is what precisely Oxyclean is and how it’s different from bleach. I mean, I know it is different from bleach, but how? Is it some sort of enzyme? How does it work, and on what sorts of stains?

I just scanned my bucket of Oxy-Clean. It doesn’t list ingredients. It does say harmful to eyes, and don’t mix with bleach or ammonia.
I’m guessing it has oxygenators that release in warm or hot water, and then act as ionizing surfactants. I know the stuff has regular soap in there too, or maybe a little. It comes in dye and perfume free version.
Hopefully Occam will chime in here, I wanna see if my chemical analysis is even close. LOL

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 13 July 2009 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Looks like Oxyclean is peroxide, or turns into peroxide:

“OxiClean is a sodium percarbonate (C2H6Na4O12) detergent and bleaching agent that produces hydrogen peroxide when dissolved in water. It is marketed through infomercials (most notably featuring the late Billy Mays) as a “miracle cleanser,” ostensibly a miracle “oxygen” chemical…. OxiClean works through hydrogen peroxide molecules bound within a sodium carbonate structure. Hydrogen peroxide is a strong oxidizing substance which will “bleach” the stains away.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxyclean

So my big question is, does Oxyclean work any better than pouring peroxide from one of those brown bottles on the stain, or in the wash for that matter? Is it simply easier to use and store in powder form? I can see how the powder form is convenient for laundry.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 13 July 2009 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Occam

I can’t help it, I love SPICE! Indian, Mexican, hot wings with a cold beer - doesn’t matter what kind of food - I just love spicy! Unfortunately most of it stains.

That’s OK Occam, I hadn’t started your extremely complex and combustible procedure yet. My kid’s chair at the table has a cover on the white fabric. Should have bought a cover for the adult’s chairs as well!

I’ll pick up some Oxyclean, and maybe some new covers in a dark color to mask the stains and protect the chairs in the future.

Signature 

Posted: 13 July 2009 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Jules - 13 July 2009 03:46 PM

I can’t help it, I love SPICE! Indian, Mexican, hot wings with a cold beer - doesn’t matter what kind of food - I just love spicy!

Good call—love spicy food, too. Not so good with wine though. Cold beer, as you say, is much better. Or margaritas!

grin

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 13 July 2009 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2008-06-03
dougsmith - 13 July 2009 03:50 PM

I can’t help it, I love SPICE! Indian, Mexican, hot wings with a cold beer - doesn’t matter what kind of food - I just love spicy!

Good call—love spicy food, too. Not so good with wine though. Cold beer, as you say, is much better. Or margaritas!

grin

Ooooooo now I want a margarita! Haven’t had one in a while.

Signature 

Posted: 13 July 2009 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 13 July 2009 04:18 PM
dougsmith - 13 July 2009 03:50 PM

grin

Ooooooo now I want a margarita! Haven’t had one in a while.

Jules, they are not ‘stains’ they are ‘good memories’! LOL

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 13 July 2009 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I’m guessing the Hydrogen Peroxide concentration from the Oxy-Clean is appreciably higher than the 20 volume material one can buy at a drug store.  It’s probably a bit milder on hands and fabric than the chlorine bleaches. 

Jules, short form:  Just wet a rag with rubbing alcohol and see if you can remove most of the color.  If so, you’re home free.

I agree about spicy foods, but since I don’t like beer no matter what because I detest bitter, wine does very well for me.  Although some restaurants and some people think that spicy is synonomous with hot, the idea is to balance the flavors so that all contribute, but none overpowers (well, all except garlic which one can never use too much of LOL ). 

Aside:  Margaritas - great old fashioned Mexican restaurant in L.A. called El Coyote used to make superb margaritas, but I could never figure out what they did that was special.  One evening we were sitting at the bar waiting for our name to be called for a table, when I saw the bartender make up a batch.  He added about 20 cc of pineapple juice per drink.  He was using canned, but I tried it with frozen, and they were great.

Occam
Wordpad

Posted: 13 July 2009 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  4081
Joined  2006-11-28

Great job mythbusting Occam!

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 13 July 2009 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Now I have a new Martguerita recipe!

Signature 

Posted: 13 July 2009 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 11 July 2009 09:14 PM

Don’t do that, dog saliva stains too!

Signature 

2 of 2