1 of 4
Want to help scientific research? (CFI Distributed Computing Teams)
Posted: 10 July 2009 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

CFI has a group under UC Berkeley’s BOINC project, donating unused computer clock cycles to distributed computing projects in science. I’ve signed up for rosetta@home, which is a protein folding project, along the lines of SETI@home which is also hosted on BOINC.

Read more about it through the BOINC website. You have to download a small program that installs the distributed computing software on your PC or Mac. (It works VERY smoothly on my Mac). You can turn it on and off at will, and it comes with an uninstall program as well if for some reason you get tired of it.

If you decide to sign up, you can join the CFI team HERE!

——————-

UPDATE: FAQ here, from post #33 in this thread:

Thread Title: Want to help scientific research? (CFI Distributed Computing Teams)

Distributed computing is when many computers work together to complete a very large calculation.  It is an alternative to using large super computers.  Scientists use distributed computing for many worthy scientific and humanitarian tasks, such as hunting for gravitational waves, running climate models, or searching for cures for cancer.  By simply downloading a program and having it run when your computer is idle, you can participate in such projects.  After setting up the program, it downloads and uploads the data automatically.  Make sure to go to preferences and set them to what you are comfortable with (CPU usage, network usage, etc). 

Center for Inquiry teams have been created on most distributed computing projects.  By joining a team the entire group can get credit, and promote the organization. 

BOINC:
Initially designed for SETI@Home, it has since expanded and runs many other science projects. 

- A list of projects can be found here and here
It can be downloaded for Windows, Mac, or Linux
- To join a CFI team, left click the project icon and go to the project’s website.  While there, log in and go to your account.  Under community, go to team and search for the “Center for Inquiry” team and join it. 
- Many projects use nVidia or ATI GPUs to speed up calculations. 

World Community Grid.

It focuses on humanitarian and medical projects. 

- This can be run through BOINC (see above), or through a standalone platform
- List of WCG projects
- It is available for Mac, Windows and Linux. 

Folding@Home

This program runs one project, and it focuses on simulating protein folding. 

- Available for Windows, Mac and Linux, and PS3
- To join the CFI team, go to the control panel of the program and input the CFI team code: 173631
- PS3 installing FAQ
- PS3 will complete tasks much faster than regular computers

————-

Also (the one I use, as I say above): Rosetta@home.

The CFI team is HERE; right now we have 19 members total, with 13 active members.

[ Edited: 06 November 2013 09:19 AM by dougsmith ]
 Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 10 July 2009 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Ah, yes.  Science goes Boink.  Courtesy of Calvin and Hobbs. LOL

Occam

Posted: 10 July 2009 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Occam - 10 July 2009 01:45 PM

Ah, yes.  Science goes Boink.  Courtesy of Calvin and Hobbs. LOL

Ha! I didn’t get the reference, but I’m sure that’s where it comes from.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 16 August 2009 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

They have been doing this SETI thing for years now.  What I want to know is, what data are they collecting and what has happened thus far.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 16 August 2009 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Mriana - 16 August 2009 08:52 AM

They have been doing this SETI thing for years now.  What I want to know is, what data are they collecting and what has happened thus far.

I expect they’ll have a discussion of that on the SETI site. Problem with SETI is that until and unless they discover an ET, not much is going to happen with the data. I’m in favor of SETI myself, but thought that other scientific experiments might have a higher likelihood of payoff within a short period of time.

For example, the science that Rosetta@home helps with is discussed on this page, and the publications it has engendered are HERE, and an overview is HERE. More info on its medical relevance HERE.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 16 August 2009 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I will have to look deeper into it before I decide.  I couldn’t tell much from reading the first link you provided.  It looked and sounded like the same old, same old.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 16 August 2009 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Mriana - 16 August 2009 10:47 AM

I will have to look deeper into it before I decide.  I couldn’t tell much from reading the first link you provided.  It looked and sounded like the same old, same old.

Well, the first link was just for the basic software that installs any of these distributed computing selections. IMO rosetta@home is not just the same old, same old ...

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 16 August 2009 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

As I said, I’ll have to look into it more via your other links.  How does the software help to find out anything about the various illnesses and alike that site discusses?

[ Edited: 16 August 2009 02:00 PM by Mriana ]
 Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 16 August 2009 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Mriana - 16 August 2009 01:57 PM

As I said, I’ll have to look into it more via your other links.  How does the software help to find out anything about the various illnesses and alike that site discusses?

The software automatically downloads whatever protein folding experiments they have uploaded. It works on them in the background and sends the finished data back automatically.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 20 August 2009 04:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2008-02-24
dougsmith - 10 July 2009 07:22 AM

If you decide to sign up, you can join the CFI team HERE!

A worthy cause ... once I’ve got my super-spiffy virtualisation server set up (it’s built, just got to decide which hypervisor to use) I shall devote an entire virtual PC to it.

Kyu

Signature 

Kekerusey

“Keye’ung lu nì‘aw tì‘eyng mìkìfkey lekye’ung”
(Insanity, the only answer in a world insane!)

Atheists’s Heaven *** “Science, Just Science” Campaign *** Geekanology UK

Posted: 23 August 2009 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

If you do decide to join, remember to pool your results with the CFI group. Our homepage (with only two members so far!) is HERE.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 24 September 2009 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I have Linux since my comp crashed and it sucks, because many programs it won’t run, esp if they are not for Linux.  Do you know if it runs on Linux without too many headaches?  As soon as I can, I’m switching back to Windows.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 24 September 2009 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Mriana - 24 September 2009 02:59 PM

I have Linux since my comp crashed and it sucks, because many programs it won’t run, esp if they are not for Linux.  Do you know if it runs on Linux without too many headaches?  As soon as I can, I’m switching back to Windows.

I expect it will have a linux version since it’s written by geeks for geeks, but I really don’t know much about linux, unfortunately. I’m fully on Mac.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 24 September 2009 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

I’ll take another look at it.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 24 September 2009 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  2422
Joined  2007-09-03
dougsmith - 23 August 2009 07:22 AM

If you do decide to join, remember to pool your results with the CFI group. Our homepage (with only two members so far!) is HERE.

OK I’ll make it three…

Posted: 24 September 2009 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2008-02-24
dougsmith - 23 August 2009 07:22 AM

OK ... at present I’m having way to many problems with the bloody thing (my server), but yeah I’ll make sure I add myself to the CFI group.

Kyu

Signature 

Kekerusey

“Keye’ung lu nì‘aw tì‘eyng mìkìfkey lekye’ung”
(Insanity, the only answer in a world insane!)

Atheists’s Heaven *** “Science, Just Science” Campaign *** Geekanology UK

1 of 4