2 of 5
Any Formula 1 fans out there?
Posted: 15 July 2009 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11

Street circuits don’t HAVE to be bad, Monaco is a lot of fun and excitement and Singapore wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, but Valencia will NEVER be any good. Vettel seems to be the kind of guy you want your daughter to go out with. Rosberg is the same way.

I was on the plane with some of Kubica’s crew after he won at Montreal and they were telling me what a nice guy HE was, but then he started all of his temper tantrums for the remainder of the year. As the sidepodcast crew put it: first we wanted to see Kubica’s personality, because it was so bland, but then when he showed it,we wanted it to go away! He is back to bland again!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 19 July 2009 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  120
Joined  2009-07-13
asanta - 15 July 2009 12:14 AM

Street circuits don’t HAVE to be bad, Monaco is a lot of fun and excitement and Singapore wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, but Valencia will NEVER be any good. Vettel seems to be the kind of guy you want your daughter to go out with. Rosberg is the same way.

I was on the plane with some of Kubica’s crew after he won at Montreal and they were telling me what a nice guy HE was, but then he started all of his temper tantrums for the remainder of the year. As the sidepodcast crew put it: first we wanted to see Kubica’s personality, because it was so bland, but then when he showed it,we wanted it to go away! He is back to bland again!

I’m not a huge fan of Singapore, but I do enjoy Monaco.  Even though Monaco is a parade, I appreciate the skill that the drivers must possess to win there.  I agree about Rosberg, but I just wish he would start performing up to the hype.  A recent rumor is that he may be in talks with Brawn, as well as BMW and Mclaren with the possibility of staying with Williams.  I hope he goes to Brawn, which would either make or break his career.  It would be good to compare him against a driver who has achieved success.

That’s a very interesting point about Kubica.  At least he’s giving the people what they want.  You can’t say he doesn’t care about his fans!

Signature 

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” - Seneca

Posted: 19 July 2009 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

True (about Kubica), Monaco still has more opportunity to pass (and screw up) than Valencia. Singapore was still a bit of a parade, but the night racing added an exciting dimension to it.

Take a listen to this show, they have what is call F1 minute, as well as a couple of F1 history series.
http://www.sidepodcast.com/

this are great clips from the 1950-90s I believe, with Clive James, he is GREAT, I wish he were the commentator for the races today!
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2008/08/29/a-brief-history-of-pit-stops-in-f1-video/

This is a 1997 interview Clive James did with the F1 drivers, it is GREAT! Have patience with the video, it is not the best, Shumie comes in on part 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXAGG1ng1C8

Enjoy smile

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 26 July 2009 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13
asanta - 19 July 2009 06:44 PM

True (about Kubica), Monaco still has more opportunity to pass (and screw up) than Valencia. Singapore was still a bit of a parade, but the night racing added an exciting dimension to it.

Take a listen to this show, they have what is call F1 minute, as well as a couple of F1 history series.
http://www.sidepodcast.com/

this are great clips from the 1950-90s I believe, with Clive James, he is GREAT, I wish he were the commentator for the races today!
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2008/08/29/a-brief-history-of-pit-stops-in-f1-video/

This is a 1997 interview Clive James did with the F1 drivers, it is GREAT! Have patience with the video, it is not the best, Shumie comes in on part 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXAGG1ng1C8

Enjoy smile

Thanks for the links.  I just now finally got around to watching the videos.  I especially enjoyed the footage of Fangio.  I wish there was a way to get footage from entire races.  I also liked the interview with Clive James, too.  I wish drivers in F1 still seemed to enjoy racing as much as they did back then.  It seems that their entire careers are way too political.  All the modern interviews that I’ve seen with drivers are extremely serious and to the point.

Signature 

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” - Seneca

Posted: 26 July 2009 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Go to racing-underground.com ,my son has recorded to a dedicated external hard drive, races beginning in the 1980s, and he is working his way up the years!  smile
I think that with the really old races, we’ll just have to be satisfied with the clips…..

Signature 

Posted: 26 July 2009 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Did you see the qualifying on Sat? Massa’s accident was horrific. It is a testament to the integrity of the cockpit that he survived at all. Not to mention the luck that he regained consciousness in time to apply the brakes to slow down somewhat. He will have some impressive ‘raccoon eyes’ from that basilar skull fracture! He is intubated and sedated (from the reports) which is standard procedure for that type of injury. I would predict that he is out for the year!
The amazing thing is that in describing his injuries and with all of the well wishers, ‘god’ has NOT ONCE been mentioned!

Lewis is back with a competitive car, fantastic rocket off the start line! I feel for Alonzo and team but they dropped that ball, big time! After the fatality last week, I suppose they could not have let go such carelessness. The man on the lollypop SHOULD have seen that the tire wasn’t fastened, and the guy on the tire should have notified someone asap of the loose tire and he didn’t. Massa’s accident is getting the through look at as well and it will be interesting to see what comes of that. Stupid that the Stewards were going to wait till the end of the race to decide if they would penalize Kimi. I like the race to be over when it’s over and not in the nexr day or week!

How did you like that the timing went out at the end of qualifying and the drivers went from pit to pit to compare times to try to figure out who was on pole! LOL

I’m rooting for Webber for the championship….but McLaren is STILL my team!

Signature 

Posted: 26 July 2009 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13
asanta - 26 July 2009 02:25 PM

Did you see the qualifying on Sat? Massa’s accident was horrific. It is a testament to the integrity of the cockpit that he survived at all. Not to mention the luck that he regained consciousness in time to apply the brakes to slow down somewhat. He will have some impressive ‘raccoon eyes’ from that basilar skull fracture! He is intubated and sedated (from the reports) which is standard procedure for that type of injury. I would predict that he is out for the year!
The amazing thing is that in describing his injuries and with all of the well wishers, ‘god’ has NOT ONCE been mentioned!

Lewis is back with a competitive car, fantastic rocket off the start line! I feel for Alonzo and team but they dropped that ball, big time! After the fatality last week, I suppose they could not have let go such carelessness. The man on the lollypop SHOULD have seen that the tire wasn’t fastened, and the guy on the tire should have notified someone asap of the loose tire and he didn’t. Massa’s accident is getting the through look at as well and it will be interesting to see what comes of that. Stupid that the Stewards were going to wait till the end of the race to decide if they would penalize Kimi. I like the race to be over when it’s over and not in the nexr day or week!

How did you like that the timing went out at the end of qualifying and the drivers went from pit to pit to compare times to try to figure out who was on pole! LOL

I’m rooting for Webber for the championship….but McLaren is STILL my team!

The accident in qualifying was incredibly scary, especially since an F2 driver was just killed earlier in the week by a similar incident.  I’ve heard reports recently that they won’t know how he will improve for at least a couple of weeks or even months.  He is definitely out for the season.  I wonder who will replace him.  I can’t imagine what his father must have been going through, who was probably in the pits at the time.  And for the sake of his pregnant wife, I hope he pulls through alright.  I think that’s their first child, but I’m not certain. 

I don’t think Renault should have been suspended from the next race for the incident.  Maybe a fine, but I never like to see a reduced grid.  If I remember correctly, the same sort of tire incident happened to Alonso at Renault in either 2005 or 2006, probably 2006.  I also heard a rumor that Piquet is out.  If it’s true, it won’t be a big loss.

I was disappointed in Webber for not being able to take advantage of his position, but it was nice to see Mclaren and Ferrari back on the podium.  I’m still backing Vettel for the title, but if he doesn’t make it then I want Webber to take it.  No matter who wins, I think Red Bull will take the constructors.  And yeah, I loved the fact that the drivers didn’t know the qualifying order.  I read somewhere that Webber didn’t think he was in the top three so he left to go take a shower when he was supposed to be getting ready for the interviews.

Now the racing is over for about a month. I don’t know what I’m gonna do without it for that long mid season.  I will be following the Massa story pretty close, though.

Signature 

Posted: 26 July 2009 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  4726
Joined  2007-10-05

The F2 driver was Henry Surtees, son of 1964 F1 World Champion John Surtees, who also won seven world championships on motorcycles. He is the only man who has won world championships on two wheels and four wheels. British authorities are investigating how a competitor’s wheel could have flown off and killed the younger Surtees. The wheel should have been tethered to the car.

These tragedies put racing in perspective. When I was growing up in the 1960s, and dreaming of racing F1, at one or two F1 drivers died every year. In 1970, Jochen Rindt won the F1 World Championship posthumously. Phil Hill won the 1961 World Championship after his teammate Wolfgang von Trips died after an accident at the Italian Grand Prix.

Racing is vastly safer than it was 40 years ago, but any time people push themselves and their machinery to the limit the danger is ever present.

My condolences go out to the Surtees family, and I fervently hope Massa recovers fully.

[ Edited: 26 July 2009 07:14 PM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 26 July 2009 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

I’m getting the feeling that this may be a career ender for Massa. I am okay with the punishments for Renault, because they could have mitigated a problem that could have lead to tragic consequences although I believe that the punishment has a lot to do with the recent F2 death. I remember in HS when the papers would list a couple of F1 deaths per year, and here they have gone 15 years between fatalities. Button may get the championship, unless someone else comes out and clearly dominates. Red Bull will almost certainly take home their first constructors championship!

Signature 

Posted: 26 July 2009 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

You may be right about this being a career ender for Massa. That type of head injury must be very hard to overcome. The main thing is he lives, then recovers enough to lead a normal life.

People with families should not race.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 26 July 2009 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
fotobits - 26 July 2009 07:16 PM

You may be right about this being a career ender for Massa. That type of head injury must be very hard to overcome. The main thing is he lives, then recovers enough to lead a normal life.

People with families should not race.

I don’t agree, you can get that type of injury walking across the street. All in all, there have been no deaths or career ending accidents in F1 since the death of Aryton Senna.

In my previous job, we did a lot of life flights, on helicopters, airplanes and ambulances. Once I had a crew out and a coworker called in to say she was watching the news and saw that a life flight copter went down and asked me if I had a crew out. We did, and we called dispatch to assure us that our crew was not the one that was down, but could get no further info. We knew some of the nurses who went down on that copter. Nurses lose their lives every year in life flight and transport accidents, many more than are lost on a professional racetrack. And they are investigated with the same care. I haven’t seen a nurse refuse because it is dangerous, because we love to do our jobs. I can see the same in auto racing.

Signature 

Posted: 26 July 2009 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Point noted, asanta. Life is dangerous. My best friend died in a kayaking accident five years ago.

Signature 

Posted: 29 July 2009 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

Big day for news!!

Massa is making great progress in his recovery.  If Michael Schumacher passes a fitness test, he will drive for Ferrari until Massa can return.  BMW announced they are pulling out of Formula 1 at the end of this year.  Kubica will most certainly be picked up by another team, possibly Renault or McLaren.  I’m afraid that Nick Heidfeld may find himself without a drive unless he lands a contract with USF1 or one of the other new teams.

Signature 

Posted: 29 July 2009 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Yay for Massa! So Shumie WILL drive again! This is going to be a GREAT season! BMW is leaving? Bummer. We’ll see what happens with the American teams, they’ll be able to pick up some of the loose drivers.

Signature 

Posted: 29 July 2009 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13
asanta - 29 July 2009 12:32 PM

Yay for Massa! So Shumie WILL drive again! This is going to be a GREAT season!

I cannot wait to see how comparable Schumacher will be in the same car as Raikkonen.  Kimi may be forced to up his game a little bit.  Shumie may be a little bit rusty, but I’m sure he hasn’t lost it.  It will be interesting to see if there will be little bit of a Ferrari resurgence.  Ferrari will have the only team with a full lineup of world champions!

Signature 

2 of 5