1 of 2
Public Gardens?
Posted: 16 July 2009 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2009-04-23

What do you think about public gardens?  If cities took funds designated for a public park and instead made a vegetable garden.  The park employees would have to prep the land, plant and care for the veggies, but no picking.  The limited veggies could be free to those in the community.  You’d need a single entrance where you could verify the person lives in the community and assure that limits on the veggies harvested per person were followed.  I don’t think it would take any additional funds; it shouldn’t take more in maintenance and development than a public park.  Sure, there is the problem of competing with local farms (farmers markets).  But the public garden would have a limited supply (whatever the land allotted could provide).  And don’t we dump tons of money on farm subsidies making sure that farmers don’t farm?  I haven’t done a lot of research into this; it is just an idea I had.  I thought I’d run it by you guys.  What do you think?

Posted: 16 July 2009 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Chicken - 16 July 2009 05:28 PM

What do you think about public gardens?  If cities took funds designated for a public park and instead made a vegetable garden.

Vegetables are not as pretty as flowers. I like pretty things.

Posted: 17 July 2009 04:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  403
Joined  2007-08-26
George - 16 July 2009 06:07 PM

What do you think about public gardens?  If cities took funds designated for a public park and instead made a vegetable garden.

On the other hand, people who might benefit most from the urban garden concept—poor people—like food more than they like pretty things.

Signature 

—————————————————
http://www.StephenJGallagher.com
http://StephenJGallagher.blogspot.com

Posted: 17 July 2009 04:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14

It is a great idea! We have some around here, a couple have been around for over 15 years. They run real loose. I’ve seen the plots fallow some years, others it looks like The Jolly Green Giant’s backyard.
Usually the plot is subdivided into personal areas, and people only harvest what they grow, however the sense of sharing, and cooperation is good, and obviously people teach one another techniques. I’m sure the folks share harvests, because at times I’ve seen excess veggies out at the curb, on a stand for free.
I always see it as a kind of hobby…there’s a core group of people interested in vegetables, and growing them.
I love the idea, but something must be done about free, fast food poison shops. Young people, or old are just going to the drive thru, and getting 4000 calories for $3.99, plus the stuff is laced with flavor enhancers, which make the stuff almost habit-forming.
The only people left who want to grow vegetables are the homespun crowd. Home gardening will only really take off, when it becomes subsistence farming, or people get closer to vegetables.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 17 July 2009 06:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
steveg144 - 17 July 2009 04:08 AM

On the other hand, people who might benefit most from the urban garden concept—poor people—like food more than they like pretty things.

And the money you’ll spend on your trip to Mexico this fall would better benefit dying children in Africa. So?

Posted: 17 July 2009 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
George - 17 July 2009 06:20 AM

And the money you’ll spend on your trip to Mexico this fall would better benefit dying children in Africa. So?

This isn’t like you George.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 17 July 2009 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Well, I didn’t mean it the way it probably sounds when written down. I guess I should have added a smiley…

Posted: 17 July 2009 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

Well chicken I just saw another part of your Garden, I didn’t notice the first time around. The part where the pickers don’t take part in the planting! This doesn’t seem the way to do it.
I think the people should get the land, the supplies(tools, seeds, fertilizer, instruction), and the responsibilty to do the growing, the cultivation, the working of the land.
This would help them enjoy the fruits of their labor(literally).
It doesn’t have to be a sub-divided plot, like I related to. It could be a communal plot.
With the interest of farmers in this country, and their mass subjugation by Super-Corporate farms-ADM for example, it could help to counter-act this shrinking of Farmers. It could also let people take part in the harvesting of organically grown fruits and vegetables.
Eco-friendly.

Signature 

Posted: 17 July 2009 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  403
Joined  2007-08-26
George - 17 July 2009 06:20 AM

Oooo SNAP!  grin

Point well taken, however. Sorta.

Signature 

—————————————————
http://www.StephenJGallagher.com
http://StephenJGallagher.blogspot.com

Posted: 17 July 2009 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2009-04-23
VYAZMA - 17 July 2009 06:54 AM

Well chicken I just saw another part of your Garden, I didn’t notice the first time around. The part where the pickers don’t take part in the planting! This doesn’t seem the way to do it.
I think the people should get the land, the supplies(tools, seeds, fertilizer, instruction), and the responsibilty to do the growing, the cultivation, the working of the land.
This would help them enjoy the fruits of their labor(literally).
It doesn’t have to be a sub-divided plot, like I related to. It could be a communal plot.
With the interest of farmers in this country, and their mass subjugation by Super-Corporate farms-ADM for example, it could help to counter-act this shrinking of Farmers. It could also let people take part in the harvesting of organically grown fruits and vegetables.
Eco-friendly.

I agree, it would be better if the way obese Americans would get out and grow.  I was just thinking that people wouldn’t and you’d have the many co-op gardens, like you mentioned, that just sit and grow weeds.  If it was run like a park and the government paid people to grow the veggies, like we pay people to maintain parks and build playgrounds, then there would be free, healthy food for all the people in the city.  I know, it is idealistic, but maybe it could work.

Posted: 17 July 2009 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

That would work too. Anybody who would want to help could. And with the amount and size of gardens there could easily be enough vegetables for those who wanted to take them. Of course only vegetable for individuals or charity organizations maybe. Obviously your local Vendor couldn’t come by and pick up 20 bushels of banana peppers, and then go sell them on the other side of town!

Signature 

Posted: 17 July 2009 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Three things came to mind when I saw this thread:

1. A local California State College in the San Fernando Valley has land set aside for the agriculture majors.  They happen to turn out a great many vegetables and fruit, a bit of which they use in their cafeterias, but most of it is given to local shelters and food banks for meals for the needy.

2.  An abandoned railway right of way in San Pedro has been opened by the city for many years where local people can get a small plot of land and grow vegetables. The city only furnishes the water.  Essentially all used by needy families to help feed them.

3.  A west coast magazine called Sunset had a demonsration vegetable garden at the Los Angeles Arboretum a number of years ago that was as pretty and colorful as most flower gardens.  Bright red rhubarb, purple kale, pepper and tomato plants with a wide variety of brightly colored and sizes of fruit on them, etc.  So, George, with some creativity even your artistic sense can be satisfied by a vegetable garden.  LOL

Occam

Posted: 17 July 2009 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Occam - 17 July 2009 06:19 PM

So, George, with some creativity even your artistic sense can be satisfied by a vegetable garden.  LOL

Sure, I have seen flowering potatoes and they were quite beautiful. But once you realize you can also eat them, their beauty becomes somehow less sophisticated. grin

Posted: 18 July 2009 06:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2009-04-23
Occam - 17 July 2009 06:19 PM

Three things came to mind when I saw this thread:

1. A local California State College in the San Fernando Valley has land set aside for the agriculture majors.  They happen to turn out a great many vegetables and fruit, a bit of which they use in their cafeterias, but most of it is given to local shelters and food banks for meals for the needy.

2.  An abandoned railway right of way in San Pedro has been opened by the city for many years where local people can get a small plot of land and grow vegetables. The city only furnishes the water.  Essentially all used by needy families to help feed them.

3.  A west coast magazine called Sunset had a demonsration vegetable garden at the Los Angeles Arboretum a number of years ago that was as pretty and colorful as most flower gardens.  Bright red rhubarb, purple kale, pepper and tomato plants with a wide variety of brightly colored and sizes of fruit on them, etc.  So, George, with some creativity even your artistic sense can be satisfied by a vegetable garden.  LOL

Occam

Yeah, I and Vyz mentioned earlier that their are co-ops set -up, even some a few miles from my house, where people are allowed to grow.  But I see a problem in getting people properly motivated, because the plots just sit there and grow weeds.  I was thinking if we ran it like a park and the park employees, or contract it out like we do, would raise the veggies and maintain the garden.  I think the biggest opposition would be the local farmer.  I’m going to do a little research into our park/open area laws, and see what extra provisions would be required.  I think it could be good.  And as Vyz said, if people would come out and help that would be a bonus!

Posted: 18 July 2009 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Ah, so are you of the belief that function contaminates art, George?  smile

Occam

Posted: 19 July 2009 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  633
Joined  2007-12-10

I think a herb garden would make more sense, since herbs are more valuable and would take up less space so more people could take some home.

Signature 

Dan

1 of 2