1 of 2
Rachel Maddow vs. Pat Buchanan re: Sotomayor
Posted: 17 July 2009 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2007-10-05

Wednesday evening’s interview on YouTube

Watch for yourself. Pat tried, he really tried, but Rachel exposed him for the anachronism he is. Buchanan came across as a pathetic old fool.

Edit: Actually, he came across quite worse than I stated above. Watch the part where he went on about how white people built this country. Pat Buchanan is a pathetic old racist.

[ Edited: 17 July 2009 06:18 PM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 17 July 2009 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Yeah, but Rachel and Keith can’t get Rush to come on their shows, so Pat is a good one to show the insanity of those beliefs.  I’m just amazed that he is so sure of himself that he doesn’t realize how silly he is made to look.

Occam

Posted: 17 July 2009 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

I was absolutely floored when he insisted that the people at Normandy Beach were ALL white!!!....I suppose that all of the men fighting in every other war we had were white as well!! (My white great great grandfather was a private in that war, while my black great great grandfather was a corporal,—not an officer, but better than a private!)  And if the ‘white’ people did all of the building of this country, what were the SLAVES doing??. If they weren’t doing anything, why didn’t they set them free!!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 18 July 2009 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2009-04-23

When you see racism that deeply woven into the psyche, the sad part is that there is nothing you can say to change it.  You just have to wait for those people to die.  Hopefully, the amount of racists bred everyday is a smaller percentage than it was.  I think it is, but I can’t be sure.  So many people! downer

Posted: 18 July 2009 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1995
Joined  2008-09-18

Asanta, the US Army during WWII was segregated; blacks were placed in separate units with white officers. In the Army’s defense, racism was a serious problem in the ranks and the Army had difficulty controlling it; they saw segregation as a way to protect black soldiers from racist whites. Most black military personnel were put into isolated non-combat units such as cooks, engineering units, and logistics where they didn’t have to mix with whites. However, there were some black combat units, the most famous of which was a group of black fighter pilots.

The Army also segregated Japanese-Americans. There was an entire division of Japanese-Americans that fought in Italy. That division, if I recall correctly, won more combat awards than any other division in the war. Those guys had something to prove.

I think that the Navy was integrated. It was Truman who forced racial integration down the Army’s throat during the Korean War. I wonder if the Army didn’t try to stave it off with some sort of “Don’t ask, don’t tell” proposal.  wink

Posted: 18 July 2009 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

My dad was in the Korean War. Two of my three uncles were in WWII, One volunteered at 16 and the other at 14(the other was too young to try to fool the military), the Army was not great in checking ages. The 14 year old became mentally ill during his service and never recovered. They both saw ‘action’ in Europe, my other uncle had PTSD and years of nightmares. My paternal grandfather was in the Philippines during WWI, and also saw fighting (he was part of one of the ‘Buffalo Soldier’ units. Just because you were a cook didn’t mean you didn’t come under fire at times.

One of my coworker’s father did not speak English when he was drafted into WWII (he was from Mexico), he WAS on Normandy beach and has said that there were also others there that did not speak English as well. Although they were not black, these were not the ‘white men’ Robertson was talking about, as they faced discrimination in the US as well.

[ Edited: 18 July 2009 07:52 PM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 18 July 2009 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

Yes, it’s fascinating how people rewrite history to forget about the disgusting things that were done by their predecessors. 

Occam

Posted: 18 July 2009 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam - 18 July 2009 10:53 PM

Yes, it’s fascinating how people rewrite history to forget about the disgusting things that were done by their predecessors. 

Occam

I remember the old encyclopedias. Many of them would name accomplishments by African Americans and not include a picture or mention that s/he was African American short of the names like Sojourner Truth, Frederick Douglass and others who were commonly known to have been African American. I was amazed to find out that (for instance) Jan Matzeliger, who invented a machine that attached the top to the soles in less than a minute was black. This was not mentioned in my Brittanica encyclopedia set my dad bought us in the early 1950s, nor did they include pictures of these African Americans. Sins of omission, if you will. Those were the books I used for research through high school (where my teachers told me confidently, that blacks did nothing of consequence in the history of the USA). I was delighted to get my hands on a set in the 1970s and see all of the black faces that had been placed in with the articles in the newer editions.

Signature 

Posted: 19 July 2009 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

I recall when I was eight years old after having been given a sandwich, commenting that I thought grinding peanuts to make peanut butter was a great idea.  My father said, “You can thank George Washington Carver, a negro, for that.”  When I expressed surprise, he mentioned blood transfusions, ragtime-Joplin (what my mother often played on the piano), a poet (whose name I can’t remember off-hand), and two others.  Fortunately, he had a knack for remembering things most other people didn’t know.

Occam

Posted: 19 July 2009 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14

Was it Langston Hughes Occam?

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 19 July 2009 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

Yes!!!

Thanks,
Occam

Posted: 19 July 2009 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
Occam - 19 July 2009 03:16 PM

Yes!!!

Thanks,
Occam

I don’t have much of an ear for poetry, but I always liked his poems. I’m not that familiar with his work, but I liked everything I ever read.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 19 July 2009 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  633
Joined  2007-12-10

Ignoring pats ridiculousness, Sotomayor is mildly racist. She did make the wrong decision with the firemen, and has made some comments which sound mildly racist. Affirmative actions needs changes to provide help to those who have actually faced adversity. People who are very poor face adversity why don’t they get affirmative action, how about obese people they obviously face discrimination, how about muslims, or maybe ugly people.

Why should someone who is rich and had better opportunities than most get affirmative action?

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 19 July 2009 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2009-04-23
danlhinz - 19 July 2009 03:55 PM

Ignoring pats ridiculousness, Sotomayor is mildly racist. She did make the wrong decision with the firemen, and has made some comments which sound mildly racist. Affirmative actions needs changes to provide help to those who have actually faced adversity. People who are very poor face adversity why don’t they get affirmative action, how about obese people they obviously face discrimination, how about muslims, or maybe ugly people.

Why should someone who is rich and had better opportunities than most get affirmative action?

Really, “mildly racist”?  Did you read the speech?  Because the “wise Latina” comment makes more sense in context.  Taking into consideration what she meant, the qualifiers of “I would hope”, “more often than not” and “hasn’t lived that life” are sufficient.  She didn’t just say, Latina’s are better.  It is important not to let people on t.v. and radio tell you how to interpret things.  Independent analysis is always the best defense to misinformation.
The fire fighter thing is simply baffling to me.  The city threw out a test and no one was promoted.  They saw the results and wanted to double check there was not some bias in the test.  The black fire fighters weren’t promoted instead of the white.  The only thing the New Haven Fire Department did was try to cover their butts in regards to liability.  Turns out, you can’t stop people trying to sue for discrimination.  Last year we had over 95,000 discrimination lawsuits, ( http://www.eeoc.gov/stats/charges.html ).  It is fiscally responsible to try to mitigate those charges. 

And I’m fine with your other suggestion.  To modify affirmative action to be income, rather than race, based is a good idea. I’ve heard President Obama mention that in his speeches.  Lets start writing congress!

Posted: 19 July 2009 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

The “wise Latina” comment has been taken out of context so many times that it is taken as proof that it is whole and complete. As for the decision in the firefighter’s case, who among us have not made a decision that they would have on reflection done another way? I’m certain that you can look into the background of the other justices and find cases like this that have been reversed on appeal. I, and I am sure, you have all also made decisions that went against what EVERYONE else thought was the correct decision and defended it to the end. I think it is unfair to just look at one case and not look at the aggregate whole of her decisions over the years.

Signature 

Posted: 19 July 2009 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

One point I heard is that the Supreme Court reverses 80% of the decisions from appellate courts brought before them. 

Occam

1 of 2