2 of 2
Rachel Maddow vs. Pat Buchanan re: Sotomayor
Posted: 20 July 2009 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2009-06-03

It’s pretty frustrating to watch and listen to a debate in which Buchanan didn’t answer to any hard questions proposed by Maddow and just skipped those parts and Maddow had absolutely no idea what Buchanan was talking about. They didn’t try to understand each other at all. Grice’s Cooperative Principle should be a part of their bedtime reading.

Posted: 20 July 2009 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11
Eero T. Eloranta - 20 July 2009 04:07 AM

It’s pretty frustrating to watch and listen to a debate in which Buchanan didn’t answer to any hard questions proposed by Maddow and just skipped those parts and Maddow had absolutely no idea what Buchanan was talking about. They didn’t try to understand each other at all. Grice’s Cooperative Principle should be a part of their bedtime reading.

What exactly didn’t she understand?? I thought she had had him pretty much nailed. She just seem extremely frustrated.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 20 July 2009 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam - 19 July 2009 11:27 PM

One point I heard is that the Supreme Court reverses 80% of the decisions from appellate courts brought before them. 

Occam

Obviously time to fire ALL of those judges!
That doesn’t take into account the number of cases the SCJustices reverse of THEIR previous rulings!!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 20 July 2009 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2009-06-03
asanta - 20 July 2009 06:13 AM

What exactly didn’t she understand?? I thought she had had him pretty much nailed. She just seem extremely frustrated.

I didn’t see anyone nailed. I saw a bitter ultraconservative who tried to tell this progressive liberal type what he thinks about the issues they dealt with. As usually Buchanan didn’t have the ability to make himself understood (I guess he doesn’t understand himself smile ) and Maddow found that to be the right time to have a political monologue so anyone clearly sees she is a liberal. That kind of a debates are sure fun to watch sometimes but they offer little or no value.

Posted: 20 July 2009 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2009-05-31
Eero T. Eloranta - 20 July 2009 06:35 AM
asanta - 20 July 2009 06:13 AM

I didn’t see anyone nailed. I saw a bitter ultraconservative who tried to tell this progressive liberal type what he thinks about the issues they dealt with. As usually Buchanan didn’t have the ability to make himself understood (I guess he doesn’t understand himself smile ) and Maddow found that to be the right time to have a political monologue so anyone clearly sees she is a liberal. That kind of a debates are sure fun to watch sometimes but they offer little or no value.

That’s the nature of television for ya! Deep discussions about race and/or racial history, particularly within the context of federal law do not fit well into 1-minute sound bites on T.V.

Signature 

Don’t live each day as it’s your last, but live each day anew, filled with optimism, hope and change!

Posted: 20 July 2009 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

No, I saw a bitter old man who was a 1950s anachronism, rewriting history on his own terms. Today, Rachael Maddow researched and corrected the ‘history’ he portrayed.

Signature 

Posted: 20 July 2009 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Quoting Eero T. Eloranta:  “I didn’t see anyone nailed.”  Well, if you watched the last ten minutes of tonight’s Rachel Maddow show, you certainly would have seen Buchanan nailed.  She played his statements then had all the facts that showed that he was either making everything up as he went along or he’s rapidly moving into senility. 

Occam

Posted: 21 July 2009 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam - 20 July 2009 11:08 PM

Quoting Eero T. Eloranta:  “I didn’t see anyone nailed.”  Well, if you watched the last ten minutes of tonight’s Rachel Maddow show, you certainly would have seen Buchanan nailed.  She played his statements then had all the facts that showed that he was either making everything up as he went along or he’s rapidly moving into senility. 

Occam

Here is the clip/transcript: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/21/maddow-revisits-buchanan_n_242192.html

Signature 

2 of 2