New to forum, long time F.I. subscriber.  Organizing campus affiliate in Tacoma WA
Posted: 21 July 2009 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-07-21

Hello,

My name is Dave Straayer.  I’m a second-generation secular humanist and longtime subscriber to Free Inquiry and related journals. 

I teach Math and programming classes at Tacoma Community College. 

I’ve wanted to start and sponsor a campus chapter of something like the Campus Freethought Alliance for a long time.  My friends urged me to wait until I received tenure, and now I have. 

A couple of days ago, I had a very fruitful meeting with the Dean of Student Affairs here at TCC, and he was very supportive of my organizing a club/chapter here.  A couple of students with whom I’ve shared my intent have been supportive and interested in joining.  This project is in motion and will happen.

The time for organizing new clubs is in September, at the beginning of our regular school year.  I intend to put up posters around campus, and have a table at the “meet the clubs” fair that happens early in the school year.  I’d love to receive copies of similar posters any one else has used for this purpose.

Any suggestions?

Posted: 21 July 2009 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15433
Joined  2006-02-14

First, welcome to the CFI forum, David. My suggestion right off the bat is to check out the CFI On Campus website and contact the folks there for help getting started. They can provide materials and guidance.

Another suggestion is to stick around the forum and brainstorm with the folks here. You’ll find a broad range of opinions, approaches and interests to choose from.

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos