My definition of atheism and atheism on youtube
Posted: 24 July 2009 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-07-24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CgEfn91dtY

I guess I’ll let this be my intro.  Ive been trolling some forums lately and this seems like a cool place.

Posted: 24 July 2009 06:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15304
Joined  2006-02-14
EyesLikeHoles - 24 July 2009 12:19 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CgEfn91dtY

I guess I’ll let this be my intro.  Ive been trolling some forums lately and this seems like a cool place.

Welcome to the CFI forum, ELH. I watched a bit of the video, and agree with you that the term “atheism” says little (I wouldn’t say that it says nothing, but I’d say it says nothing much) about a person.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 24 July 2009 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  9281
Joined  2006-08-29

I also watched the first minute or so of your video, ELK, but I am not sure if I agree (or how much I agree) either with you or Doug. I guess atheism may say a little about a person, one person, but it says much more about a group of people. Some of my friends believe in God and they are indeed very nice and intelligent people. But was I to get stuck on an island with randomly selected hundred of either atheists or theists, I would choose the atheists.

[ Edited: 24 July 2009 09:30 AM by George ]

Posted: 24 July 2009 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome Eyeslikeholes.  Glad to have you here.  To me, the word atheism only says what one doesn’t believe, but not much else about the person.  So, yes, I agree with Doug, it says little about the person.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 24 July 2009 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I heard a comment that I very much agree with. “If all you know about me is that I am an atheist, you know very little about me, indeed.”
If I had 100 people living with me on a deserted island, I would pick them for their qualities, not their theistic or atheistic beliefs. I know theist that I like very much and atheists that I can’t stand the sight of. If out of the 100 you eliminate the only doctor, engineer, carpenter, chemist…..you get the idea, you would be cutting off your nose for no good reason.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 25 July 2009 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  9281
Joined  2006-08-29
asanta - 24 July 2009 09:47 PM

If I had 100 people living with me on a deserted island, I would pick them for their qualities, not their theistic or atheistic beliefs.

Sure. But what I meant was that if the only information I had about the hundred people was their religiosity, I would pick the atheists.

Posted: 25 July 2009 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Sorry, as an old fud with an older computer, I don’t use Youtube, Facebook, or Twitter, and I can’t watch videos.  So, welcome whatever your ideas are.  I’m looking forward to reading your posts.

I understand both George’s and Asanta’s views on the desert island, but the one group I would reject most strongly would be socio/political/economic strong conservatives since, in my mind by definition, they have no ethics.

Occam

Posted: 25 July 2009 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam - 25 July 2009 11:42 AM

Sorry, as an old fud with an older computer, I don’t use Youtube, Facebook, or Twitter, and I can’t watch videos.  So, welcome whatever your ideas are.  I’m looking forward to reading your posts.

I understand both George’s and Asanta’s views on the desert island, but the one group I would reject most strongly would be socio/political/economic strong conservatives since, in my mind by definition, they have no ethics.

Occam

I’d probably reject a religious fundie, even if s/he WERE the only doctor!!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 25 July 2009 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

“I’d probably reject a religious fundie, even if s/he WERE the only doctor!!”

Well, on a desert island with only a few people, I’d need some recreation so I might keep the religious fundie just for me to drive crazy by discussions to convert him/her to atheism. LOL

Occam

Posted: 25 July 2009 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  4141
Joined  2008-08-14
Occam - 25 July 2009 04:19 PM

“I’d probably reject a religious fundie, even if s/he WERE the only doctor!!”

Well, on a desert island with only a few people, I’d need some recreation so I might keep the religious fundie just for me to drive crazy by discussions to convert him/her to atheism. LOL

Occam

Or food! LOL  vampire

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 25 July 2009 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

LOL  Right, and as the old joke goes: I’d have to be careful not to boil him if it turned that he was a friar.  Sorry.

Occam

Posted: 25 July 2009 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2008-08-14
Occam - 25 July 2009 04:27 PM

LOL  Right, and as the old joke goes: I’d have to be careful not to boil him if it turned that he was a friar.  Sorry.

Occam

Zing! grin

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 25 July 2009 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2008-08-14

I can just see it now…“Bless us oh lord for these thy gifts which we are about to receive…achhh, who are we kidding? You want a leg or an arm? I hear the shoulder’s pretty good!!  Dig in!!” tongue rolleye

Signature 

Posted: 25 July 2009 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam - 25 July 2009 04:27 PM

Occam

You’re making me cry from laughing sooooo hard!! tongue laugh

Signature