8 of 8
Vitamin D supplements?
Posted: 13 April 2011 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 13 April 2011 12:34 PM

I wonder what effect avoiding exposure to sun and taking vitamin D supplements instead would have on mental health. Is it really the healthiest solution to avoid direst sun? According to some preliminary genetic research I have typical odds of developing Squamous Cell Carcinoma and slightly decreased risk of developing Melanoma, but I know that I’ll go insane if I don’t see the sun for a few days in a row. Perhaps I simply get vitamin D deficient, but I wonder if there could be “a little more” to the need of being exposed to direct sun than just the vitamin D.

Thanks Doug, and great questions George (as usual). Fortunately (Unfort?) I live in Buffalo so the supplements are a no-brainer.  cool smile

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 13 April 2011 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14
George - 13 April 2011 12:34 PM

I wonder what effect avoiding exposure to sun and taking vitamin D supplements instead would have on mental health. Is it really the healthiest solution to avoid direst sun? According to some preliminary genetic research I have typical odds of developing Squamous Cell Carcinoma and slightly decreased risk of developing Melanoma, but I know that I’ll go insane if I don’t see the sun for a few days in a row. Perhaps I simply get vitamin D deficient, but I wonder if there could be “a little more” to the need of being exposed to direct sun than just the vitamin D.

Well, you can see the sun without being in the sun. Right? No problem with being in a sunny area in the shade, or with sunscreen or a large hat.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 13 April 2011 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

As a melanin deficient person of mostly northern European ancestry, and living in Southern California, I have the problem of susceptibility to skin cancer (well borne out with me historically).  I slather myself with high SPF sunscreen as a matter of course so, even though I’m often in the sun, I probably make very little vitamin D that way.  As such I take supplements.  Although I hate to spam I order the 2,000 IU pills from Puritan, a US company, and I’m sure there are other companies on the Internet that sell the same.  That way I can cut them in half, and pay less for the daily 1,000 IU I take. 

So you shouldn’t have any trouble buying high IU vitamin D,GdB.  The problem with your order being rejected may not have anything to do with the vitamin D, but rather the codeine or methamphetamine that may also have been on the order. LOL

Occam

[ Edited: 13 April 2011 04:24 PM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 13 April 2011 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Just to repeat though: PLEASE get your blood levels checked with your doctor before going with anything. No sense getting too much or too little.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 28 April 2011 03:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]
Total Posts:  4578
Joined  2007-08-31
Count Iblis - 13 April 2011 07:41 AM
GdB - 13 April 2011 05:54 AM

I cannot order Vit D pills in the US.

“Order not allowed in your country”.  angry

Order it from another store that doesn’t check if it is allowed in your country. You can also order from Britain (try e.g. BigVits). Then, while the supplements are more expensive, the postal charge will be less if you live in Europe.

That worked, thanks!

Occam. - 13 April 2011 04:21 PM

So you shouldn’t have any trouble buying high IU vitamin D,GdB.  The problem with your order being rejected may not have anything to do with the vitamin D, but rather the codeine or methamphetamine that may also have been on the order. LOL

No, no, it was just the vitamin D. What do you think of me!  angry
But really, it is impossible to get more than 50 IU here in Switzerland, and in the Netherlands too.

Just found this abstract:

Vitamin D deficiency is now recognized as a pandemic. The major cause of vitamin D deficiency is the lack of appreciation that sun exposure in moderation is the major source of vitamin D for most humans. Very few foods naturally contain vitamin D, and foods that are fortified with vitamin D are often inadequate to satisfy either a child’s or an adult’s vitamin D requirement. Vitamin D deficiency causes rickets in children and will precipitate and exacerbate osteopenia, osteoporosis, and fractures in adults. Vitamin D deficiency has been associated with increased risk of common cancers, autoimmune diseases, hypertension, and infectious diseases. A circulating level of 25-hydroxyvitamin D of >75 nmol/L, or 30 ng/mL, is required to maximize vitamin D’s beneficial effects for health. In the absence of adequate sun exposure, at least 800-1000 IU vitamin D3/d may be needed to achieve this in children and adults. Vitamin D2 may be equally effective for maintaining circulating concentrations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D when given in physiologic concentrations.

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 28 April 2011 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 111 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

50 IU?? That’s a tiny amount. You’d have to take 20-40 pills a day to get 1,000-2,000. Very silly.

Do remember to ask your doctor to check your Vit. D level next time you go. It takes several weeks for the pills to have their full effect in the bloodstream, so don’t do it immediately. In #95, above, I mentioned the blood levels you should be targeting. (+/-)

The abstract you note is much like what got me going on this thread, back with the first posts.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 28 April 2011 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 112 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

While this isn’t a great substitute, you may want to see if you can buy cod liver oil capsules, which have a high level of D.  In addition, you may want to include fatty fish such as cod and salmon in your diet.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 28 April 2011 11:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 113 ]
Total Posts:  4578
Joined  2007-08-31
dougsmith - 28 April 2011 04:06 AM

50 IU?? That’s a tiny amount.

Ups… Had it wrong in my head. It is 5 microgram, i.e. 200 IU for vitamin D. So would need just 5-10 pills a day. With 200 in one package it suffices for 40-20 days. Not much either.

Translated with babelfish from here:

With young people and adults the recommended daily dose amounts to 5μg, with persons starting from 65 years as well as with babies 10μg

The Swiss are very conservative…

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 06 February 2012 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 114 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2010-06-10

Interesting article:

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=8478473

Traditionally living populations in East Africa have a mean serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentration of 115 nmol/l

Martine F. Luxwoldaa1 c1†, Remko S. Kuipers a1†, Ido P. Kema a1, D. A. Janneke Dijck-Brouwer a1 and Frits A. J. Muskiet a1

a1 Laboratory Medicine, University Medical Center Groningen (UMCG), PO Box 30.001, 9700 RB, Groningen, The Netherlands

Abstract

Cutaneous synthesis of vitamin D by exposure to UVB is the principal source of vitamin D in the human body. Our current clothing habits and reduced time spent outdoors put us at risk of many insufficiency-related diseases that are associated with calcaemic and non-calcaemic functions of vitamin D. Populations with traditional lifestyles having lifelong, year-round exposure to tropical sunlight might provide us with information on optimal vitamin D status from an evolutionary perspective. We measured the sum of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D2 and D3 (25(OH)D) concentrations of thirty-five pastoral Maasai (34 (sd 10) years, 43 % male) and twenty-five Hadzabe hunter–gatherers (35 (sd 12) years, 84 % male) living in Tanzania. They have skin type VI, have a moderate degree of clothing, spend the major part of the day outdoors, but avoid direct exposure to sunlight when possible. Their 25(OH)D concentrations were measured by liquid chromatography–MS/MS. The mean serum 25(OH)D concentrations of Maasai and Hadzabe were 119 (range 58–167) and 109 (range 71–171) nmol/l, respectively. These concentrations were not related to age, sex or BMI. People with traditional lifestyles, living in the cradle of mankind, have a mean circulating 25(OH)D concentration of 115 nmol/l. Whether this concentration is optimal under the conditions of the current Western lifestyle is uncertain, and should as a possible target be investigated with concomitant appreciation of other important factors in Ca homeostasis that we have changed since the agricultural revolution.

(Received June 14 2011)

(Revised November 25 2011)

(Accepted November 28 2011)

Key Words:
25-Hydroxyvitamin D;
Evolution;
Maasai;
Hadzabe

Correspondence:

c1 Corresponding author: M. F. Luxwolda, fax +31 50 361 2290, email .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

† These authors contributed equally to this work.

Abbreviations: 25(OH)D, 25-hydroxyvitamin D; nd, not detectable

Posted: 06 February 2012 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 115 ]
Total Posts:  2234
Joined  2007-04-26

It is interesting but difficult to know what it means. Caucasian agricultural human populations have evolved some from their equatorial counterparts. Its possible that high levels of Vit D are helpful, superfluous, or even harmful.

Until some prospective double blinded studies akin to the recent Vit E study are done its difficult to make any conclusions

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

8 of 8