1 of 2
atheist TV characters?
Posted: 03 August 2009 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2009-01-28

are there many regular characters on tv programs who are openly atheists or skeptics?  i only know of one i can think of offhand - house - then again i don’t watch much tv outside of pbs or the history channel.

Posted: 03 August 2009 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Temprance, the forensic anthropologist on Bones is also an atheist.  I don’t recall any others specifically, and the topic is usually addressed obliquely, but I’ve seen a number of mentions of it recently on TV.

Occam

Posted: 03 August 2009 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

It reminds me of the late 60s when everyone would come running from all over the house to see an(y) African American (or for that fact, any minority) actor, being featured in a television program or commercial as a ‘regular’ person. One would hope that with time, it would be as common and uneventful as finding minorities in the same positions!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 03 August 2009 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14

Every last character, in every TV commercial was and is an atheist. So there you go! A whole slew of atheists to watch, and relate to.
Heh Heh Heh! LOL

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 03 August 2009 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14

Elaine from ‘Seinfeld’ often gets mentioned as well when this question comes up…...though, for the life of me, I don’t remember whichever specific episode/scene(s) ‘reveals’ this.

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 03 August 2009 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

I think Grissom of CSI is on the fence- an agnostic.  His character isn’t a practicing Catholic anymore, that is for sure.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 03 August 2009 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2009-01-24

Off the top of my head:

House
Bones
Brian, the dog from Family Guy

uhh…

Signature 

“From the faith that you release comes an atheist peace.”
“I’m materialist, I ain’t no deist! It’s there for all to see, so don’t talk of hidden mystery with me.”
“Credulous at best, your desire to believe in angels in the hearts of men.”

Posted: 04 August 2009 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2006-04-03

And on House, Cameron is also an atheist.  Some of the others may be, too. Including the dead Amber.  When she was dying, she said that she didn’t want last feeling she had to be anger.  So, she knew that she wasn’t going to have any more thoughts or feelings after she died.  And Wilson, her boyfriend, didn’t contradict her by saying she’s going to the other side or something like that.  This implies to me that he is an unbeliever, too.  Subtle, but a great moment.

Did love it when Brian on Family Guy came out as an atheist.

Posted: 04 August 2009 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20
Axegrrl - 03 August 2009 09:16 PM

Elaine from ‘Seinfeld’ often gets mentioned as well when this question comes up…

Has Julia Louis-Dreyfus’s character on “Old Christine” ever doubted a
god?  Heh, her character is funny, Julia looks good on that show.  Her
character usually seems to be sad about and avoids when society expects
her character to fit in the mold that it prepared for her.  I think that
I’ve seen an episode about the son character expecting her to go to
church, and she didn’t want to go, but my memory is very cloudy about
that.  Did anyone else see an episode about going to church?

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 05 August 2009 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2425
Joined  2007-07-05

There was an episode in the 1st season of Babylon 5 where Sinclair had to come up with something about the religion of Earth.  He got together a line of people to introduce to say their religions.  The first person in the line was a atheist.  Not a regular character though.

Geribaldi, the security man, was stated to be an agnostic.  But that is almost as rare as atheists on television.  They mostly say nothing about the subject unless the character is supposed to have some religion.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 05 August 2009 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  633
Joined  2007-12-10
Axegrrl - 03 August 2009 09:16 PM

Elaine from ‘Seinfeld’ often gets mentioned as well when this question comes up…...though, for the life of me, I don’t remember whichever specific episode/scene(s) ‘reveals’ this.

Elaine takes her boyfriends jesus fish

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 05 August 2009 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-12-10

JD and Cox from scrubs, Peter from family guy, Bender from Futurama, Becker, and Ricky Gervais from the Extras.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 05 August 2009 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2009-04-23
danlhinz - 05 August 2009 05:14 PM

JD and Cox from scrubs, Peter from family guy, Bender from Futurama, Becker, and Ricky Gervais from the Extras.

Do you mean Brian from the Family Guy?  The dog, ya know, he was outed as an atheist and the whole town hated him.  Even the Griffins.

Posted: 05 August 2009 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2007-12-10
Chicken - 05 August 2009 05:30 PM
danlhinz - 05 August 2009 05:14 PM

Do you mean Brian from the Family Guy?  The dog, ya know, he was outed as an atheist and the whole town hated him.  Even the Griffins.

No there is an episode where peter tells some five year olds that when they die they go to heaven pauses and says “No, I’m just yankin’ ya you rot in the ground.”

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 14 September 2009 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  983
Joined  2005-01-14

I don’t know about characters, but believe it or not, the few times I’ve seen “Psych” on the USA channel, it seems pretty skeptical.  It’s also brilliant the way the detective uses cold reading to pick up leads from the people he questions.

Posted: 21 September 2009 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2009-09-08

Arguably, all of the main characters from Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek: The Next Generation were atheists. Roddenberry was an atheist, and made a strong point in leaving religion out of his original vision of Star Trek, except in the context of ancient or primitive civilizations encountered (if anything, religion portrayed in a negative context). That started to change a little after his death when Rick Berman took over - Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and the Bajorans come to mind - don’t know much about the newer Star Treks since then.

I am a big fan of the show LOST, which has throughout its seasons tampered with the ‘science versus faith’ dichotomy to where it appears that the character Jack Shepard is an atheist, if not simply a denier of the role of ‘fate’ or ‘destiny’. The same could be said for many of the other characters.

The fact that its hard to say for the most part is, actually, kind of a good thing, in the sense that religion is not made into the crux of these characters and the story lines.

Signature 

Meredith Oppegard Ludwig

“Our species needs, and deserves, a citizenry with minds wide awake and a basic understanding of how the world works.” - Carl Sagan

http://merlud-tnp.blogspot.com/

My Florida Discussion Group: The Florida Coalition for Reason and Scientific Thought
http://reasoninflorida.blogspot.com/

1 of 2