2 of 2
atheist TV characters?
Posted: 21 September 2009 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

MerLudwig, you make a good point.  I recall the Startrek TNG episode about them going to a planet with a primitve culture.  An observation outpost had been compromised.  Their investigation caused a local to fall and be injured.  They took him aboard, repaired him, and put him back on the planet.  However, he was awake enough to see his injuries had been fixed by a “god”, “The Picard.”  The culture had already dispensed with a supreme being and Picard and crew had to prevent them from slipping back into theism because of what this person saw.

Occam

Posted: 22 September 2009 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  2390
Joined  2007-07-05
MerLudwig - 21 September 2009 08:28 AM

Arguably, all of the main characters from Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek: The Next Generation were atheists. Roddenberry was an atheist, and made a strong point in leaving religion out of his original vision of Star Trek, except in the context of ancient or primitive civilizations encountered (if anything, religion portrayed in a negative context). That started to change a little after his death when Rick Berman took over - Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and the Bajorans come to mind - don’t know much about the newer Star Treks since then.

JMS the creator of Babylon 5 claims to be an atheist but the show is riddled with religion.

DS9 was a rip off of B5 but I think it made the show more interesting.

Mostly pretending religion ain’t there has a long tradition in sci-fi.  Lois Bujold does that in her Vorkosigan series.

The TNG episode is Who Watches the Watchers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33JwReuTnMA

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 23 September 2009 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  947
Joined  2005-01-14
MerLudwig - 21 September 2009 08:28 AM

Arguably, all of the main characters from Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek: The Next Generation were atheists.

I’m not so sure.  In “Where No One Has Gone Before”, Picard does not appear very much surprised to see his mother (who is dead) strolling down the corridor of the Enterprise in her wheelchair.  Also in “Where Silence Has Lease”, he gives a parody of atheistic belief, “that when we die, we flash into nothingness.”  It seems clear to me that even if he isn’t the classic theist, he believes in an afterlife at the very least.

But that’s a minor quibble, reatlly.  I do agree that by and large, the religious feelings (if any) of the characters were minimized, and that’s a good thing.

Posted: 07 October 2009 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2009-01-24

If Monday’s episode of Lie to Me is any indication, apparently the character of Eli Loker is an atheist.

Is it me, or is the number of secular characters on the major networks increasing really fast as of late? :D

Signature 

“From the faith that you release comes an atheist peace.”
“I’m materialist, I ain’t no deist! It’s there for all to see, so don’t talk of hidden mystery with me.”
“Credulous at best, your desire to believe in angels in the hearts of men.”

Posted: 07 October 2009 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Yeah, it’s all those perverted, commie, atheist, feminist, white-hating Hollywood types who are sneaking in gays, atheists, racial and gender equality, and in general, characters who don’t know their place and don’t respect proper authority.  Who knows, we may actually decrease prejudice, anti-science, and blind obedience in the U.S.  smile

Occam

Posted: 07 October 2009 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  7665
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam - 07 October 2009 05:41 PM

Yeah, it’s all those perverted, commie, atheist, feminist, white-hating Hollywood types who are sneaking in gays, atheists, racial and gender equality, and in general, characters who don’t know their place and don’t respect proper authority.  Who knows, we may actually decrease prejudice, anti-science, and blind obedience in the U.S.  smile

Occam

You forgot FAR LEFT LEANING LIBERALS and JEWS!!! (at least that’s what I’m told on Faux News, although they may all be the same person!! LOL , upstanding christian folks would NEVER have anything to do with something like this!!)

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 09 October 2009 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  947
Joined  2005-01-14

On the bright side, I don’t notice too many villains portrayed as atheists either.

Posted: 09 October 2009 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  7665
Joined  2008-04-11
advocatus - 09 October 2009 07:15 AM

On the bright side, I don’t notice too many villains portrayed as atheists either.

Excellent point….but give ‘them’ time….it just has not been considered yet, as a tool by the far right, and too much of tv-land is owned and operated by the far left!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 21 October 2009 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2009-10-20

Peter Griffin is an out of necessity agnostic. Brian on the other paw is dyed in the wool.

Posted: 21 October 2009 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  350
Joined  2008-12-11

I’d love to find a list of even minor characters.  I remember an episode of “Maude” in which a onetime character is caught cheating someone and his punchline answer is, when asked why, “Well, I’m an atheist.”

Cumulatively, scattered stereotypes like that pack a cultural wallop more than broadsides by religious leaders like the pope who blame the ills of the world on secularity.

But it’ll be a while before freethinkers, and also gays, can properly catalog bigoted blips like that as well as chroniclers of women’s and black history have been able to do.

Posted: 21 October 2009 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2009-10-20

“and also gays, can properly catalog bigoted blips like that as well as chroniclers of women’s and black history have been able to do”

Oy Vey

2 of 2