1 of 2
What are your thoughts on this definition of truth?
Posted: 14 August 2009 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-08-01

What is truth? Truth is that which is verifiably so according to a specific set of criteria. The question, I believe, concerns of what or from whom the criteria has originated and the manner in which a claim is contrasted against such.

Posted: 15 August 2009 04:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-08-02
KevinW - 14 August 2009 10:05 PM

What is truth? Truth is that which is verifiably so according to a specific set of criteria. The question, I believe, concerns of what or from whom the criteria has originated and the manner in which a claim is contrasted against such.

Being honest is telling the truth. Stating facts, giving opinions and views as best one truly believes them to be.
Honesty or lack of it is a basic ingredient in every human being. Its demonstrated and repeated every day by millions of people. Honesty is a character element, we choose it, rather than being born with it. By choosing it consistently we raise the moral standard of behavior for ourselves and those we interact with.

Telling the truth is being honest. You are either telling someone what they want to hear or something they don’t wish to know. It’s a conscious demonstration of consistent answers given when asked for an honest opinion. An honest person tells the truth. Truthful people are honest. Honesty can be placed in its proper class or identified as being what it is, it eliminates deceit.

Posted: 07 September 2009 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-09-07

Well, there are a couple instances where being honest won’t necessarily grant a truth; but strangely it won’t grant a lie either.  Ex. Say that I were to tell you that the Exact value for the constant “Pi” is 3.15, instead of 3.14…  You could use this new constant in mathematical equations and get roughly a similar answer to that of the original “Pi”, so this seems like it is the accurate and real value.  Now, if someone were to ask you what the value of “Pi” was, you could confidently respond “Well, 3.15 of course,” both without being dishonest AND without being deceitful, and yet it does not yield what is understood to be the “true” value of “Pi”.

But as for there being objective truths in the universe, I’m sure that there are; but we couldn’t definitively know of them for sure.  The closest thing to an ‘absolute’ truth that we can ever hope to find is the truth of probabilities.  Our reasoning capabilities work through probabilities, not ‘truths’.

Posted: 07 September 2009 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2009-07-11

Looks like a circular definition to me. “Verifiable” means “capable of being verified,” and “verify” (from Latin “verificare,” from “verum,” “true”) means “prove true.” So you are saying that truth is capability of being proved true. You could just as informatively say that truth is truth, and leave the rest out of it.

In fact, the definition is worse than circular, since it excludes a priori the possibility of truths that cannot be proved. No one can, e.g., prove that Julius Caesar had a birthmark on the back of his left shoulder, or that he did not, but surely there is a truth of the matter. On your definition, that is impossible.

Trying to define truth in terms of what we can prove may seem comforting, as it rules out by definition the possibility of truths that lie beyond our capacities of knowledge. But that is like trying to define “existence” in such a way as to rule out the possibility of things that you don’t want to exist. It’s just self-serving fantasy.

By the way, “criteria” is the plural of “criterion.” “The criteria have originated” and “the criterion has originated” are grammatical; “the criteria has originated” is not.

Signature 

My blog: Skeptical Observations

Posted: 07 September 2009 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

We’ve had many discussions here about the natures of various concepts such as reality, truth, relative versus absolute, etc., and at the risk of being over-simplistic, I’d say that truth is our best estimate of reality.  Possibly I should have said our truths are our best estimates of reality.  smile

Occam

Posted: 02 December 2009 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-12-02

truth is correspondence with reality.  when speaking of reality, truth ‘tells it like it is’.

Posted: 10 December 2009 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2009-11-18

What is truth?

Truth is that which is verifiably so according to a specific set of criteria.

The question, I believe, concerns of what or from whom the criteria has originated and the manner in which a claim is contrasted against such.

That is very complicated.

What is verification. Who is to carry it out? Who makes up their own criteria?

Who is to judge? Who has the final say?

So many questions and doubts remain.

Therefore, why not keep it simply:

Truth is that which truly sets you free.

Truth puts your mind at rest for eternity.

Signature 

—-
-

Posted: 10 December 2009 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14
ray - 10 December 2009 06:16 AM

Truth is that which truly sets you free.

Truth puts your mind at rest for eternity.

Huh?

Free from what? How?

Your last claim seems oddly congruent with the claim that truth kills you.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 10 December 2009 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-18

It does. Truth is not cheap. Truth the most precious thing inside the Universe.

Truth sets you free from inquiry. No need anymore. You know.

Signature 

—-
-

Posted: 10 December 2009 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14
ray - 10 December 2009 07:16 AM

It does. Truth is not cheap. Truth the most precious thing inside the Universe.

Truth sets you free from inquiry. No need anymore. You know.

Look, it’s banal to say that truth is important: we all agree about that. The rest of this is hot air. You will have to describe what you mean.

The only way you know you have the truth is by inquiring, and any knowledge is only provisional on the quality of your inquiry, so inquiry must never end. Nobody gives the truth by a magic wand, and anyone who says he or she can do so is perpetrating a cheat.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 14 December 2009 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-18

Doug said: “The only way you know you have the truth is by inquiring”.

I agree. And once you know that you have it, you end the inquiry.

After the murderers is caught, the police do not carry on investigating.
They have got “better” things to do in Copenhagen such as prove their brutality in cracking down on climate change protestors.

Signature 

—-
-

Posted: 16 December 2009 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-12-16

I would like to know if this is the correctness: Do you think—maybe, that we determine the truthness of any statement based on the matching, the matching of that statement, with actual reality?

For the example: If I make any statement, if it can clearly be seen, then we act as if the statement is the truthness? Does that make the sense, that if we see it, and then we say it is what we have seen, that we are making the truthness?

Question: What does it mean to say the experience—and not the statement, is either the truthness or the falseness? Eh?

:edit:

Oh. I see I was answered. I am sorry.

[ Edited: 16 December 2009 04:29 PM by Das Renaisisch ]
 Signature 

Detriment to your Soul.

Posted: 17 December 2009 06:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-18

Thats just too deep for me. I dont even know what you said there.

Signature 

—-
-

Posted: 17 December 2009 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  308
Joined  2009-11-30

The real truth is that from which all falsehood evaporates. Like a thunder it strikes, and makes all things that lives turn in fear.

Signature 

“If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.” -Voltaire
“It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry.” - Thomas Paine
“It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” - Carl Sagan
“It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens.” - Baha’u'llah

Posted: 17 December 2009 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

WeeDie, I believe you are talking about the “eureka” moments we have when we suddenly realize something.  However, depending on what it is, it can bring forth a variety of emotions, fear, joy, love, disgust, serenity, etc.  Just because we had an “aha” revelation, doesn’t mean that what we did suddenly realize is necessarily truth.  We can all make mistakes and be delighted or terrified by some insight, only to later find that it wasn’t really true at all.

Occam

Posted: 17 December 2009 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  308
Joined  2009-11-30

I’m talking about the fear that strikes you, when your very own existence is brought into question and serious consideration. What exactly is it, that exist? All I find is interpretations. Nothing solid.

Signature 

“If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.” -Voltaire
“It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry.” - Thomas Paine
“It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” - Carl Sagan
“It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens.” - Baha’u'llah

1 of 2