2 of 2
What are your thoughts on this definition of truth?
Posted: 17 December 2009 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2008-03-08
WeeDie - 17 December 2009 12:49 PM

I’m talking about the fear that strikes you, when your very own existence is brought into question and serious consideration. What exactly is it, that exist? All I find is interpretations. Nothing solid.

To communicate, especially linguistically, inter or intrapersonally concedes that you do indeed find some things “solid.” Otherwise, you would have no idea what you just meant and you would have no reason to assume that anyone would understand one word that you typed. This would include that you can’t possibly understand what I’m typing now.

Posted: 17 December 2009 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  308
Joined  2009-11-30

Don’t be silly. No solid interpretations on what it is, that we’re experiencing. Well, not coming from any people around here, speaking high and low about real knowledge.

Signature 

“If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.” -Voltaire
“It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry.” - Thomas Paine
“It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.” - Carl Sagan
“It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens.” - Baha’u'llah

Posted: 17 December 2009 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2008-03-08
WeeDie - 17 December 2009 06:16 PM

Don’t be silly. No solid interpretations on what it is, that we’re experiencing. Well, not coming from any people around here, speaking high and low about real knowledge.

I see my point has gone right over your head.

Posted: 17 December 2009 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Sorry, WeeDie, but I think the fear you allude to is merely a neurotic inability to accept the fact that we are very short term life forms.  At the age of seventy-nine, I don’t have too much longer to live.  It annoys me, but I don’t fear what is part of the natural cycle of things. 

Occam

Posted: 17 December 2009 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14
Occam - 17 December 2009 07:29 PM

Sorry, WeeDie, but I think the fear you allude to is merely a neurotic inability to accept the fact that we are very short term life forms.  At the age of seventy-nine, I don’t have too much longer to live.  It annoys me, but I don’t fear what is part of the natural cycle of things. 

Occam

We’re all racing along right behind you Occam. You’re doing a great job of leading the way.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 14 February 2010 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2008-10-29

Truth will set you free, unless of course, the truth is that you actually did the crime.

Signature 

J.K. Fausnight

When I was 15 years old, I could no longer reconcile religion with reality, and I knew one of them would have to go.  It still amazes me how many people make the other choice.

Posted: 14 February 2010 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2006-10-22
fausinator - 14 February 2010 06:23 PM

Truth will set you free, unless of course, the truth is that you actually did the crime.

But both of those those depend on the comptetence of your lawyer.  smile

Occam

Posted: 14 February 2010 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  6159
Joined  2009-02-26
Staunch - 15 August 2009 04:56 AM
KevinW - 14 August 2009 10:05 PM

What is truth? Truth is that which is verifiably so according to a specific set of criteria. The question, I believe, concerns of what or from whom the criteria has originated and the manner in which a claim is contrasted against such.

Being honest is telling the truth. Stating facts, giving opinions and views as best one truly believes them to be.
Honesty or lack of it is a basic ingredient in every human being. Its demonstrated and repeated every day by millions of people. Honesty is a character element, we choose it, rather than being born with it. By choosing it consistently we raise the moral standard of behavior for ourselves and those we interact with.

Telling the truth is being honest. You are either telling someone what they want to hear or something they don’t wish to know. It’s a conscious demonstration of consistent answers given when asked for an honest opinion. An honest person tells the truth. Truthful people are honest. Honesty can be placed in its proper class or identified as being what it is, it eliminates deceit.

Truth is not related to perception, as our perceptions are always relativistic and different from others.
Example: 2 persons standing along a railroad track, some distance apart from each other. Between them is a moving train, blowing its whistle.  Later that day the 2 meet and discuss the pitch of the train whistle. One says the pitch of the whistle was in the key of B, the other says that the pitch was in the key of Dflat. Who is right and who is lying ?
Actually they are both telling the truth, but neither is correct.
The pitch of the train whistle was in the key of C.  The doppler effect presented a different pitch to each. The train was moving away from one person, thereby lowering the apparent pitch, and moving toward the other, raising the pitch for the other.
This was their reality at that particular moment and was not a personal mental creation. Reality presents itself relative to the point of the observer.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 14 February 2010 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

Quoting Write4U: 

Reality presents itself relative to the point of the observer.

Quite true.  There are differences in perception of physical phenomena, and they are greatly magnified when one switches to politics or social views.  smile

Occam

2 of 2