Jesus gave us the name of the antichrist
Posted: 15 August 2009 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  120
Joined  2009-07-13

I’m not sure if anyone here has seen this, but I came across this video on YouTube and decided that I would share.  I’m not sure if I should be amused or frightened by the fundies.

Jesus gave us the name of the antichrist

Signature 

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” - Seneca

Posted: 16 August 2009 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2007-10-05

Videos like this one are the reason I disdain religion so much, and Christianity in particular. These people revel in their ignorance. They find joy in ignorance, and their ignorance is making our world a more dangerous place than it needs to be.

“With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion.” Steven Weinberg

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 16 August 2009 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2009-04-23

This is why people use the bible to claim whatever they want.  The bible is like a Rorschach test.  You can prove whatever you want with enough time and manipulation.  The whole claim begins with declaring that when Jesus SPOKE these words he most likely said them in Aramaic.  There is your first problem.  We are not sure what Jesus spoke or what his actual words were, there is little proof that he existed at all.  However, are we to believe that the word of Jesus was memorized verbatim and kept pristine in the oral tradition until it was written down many, many years later?  Second problem, you are comparing apples to oranges.  Barack comes from the Swahili and means blessing.  Just because two completely unrelated words, from different languages sound the same, it does not mean they are connected.  When I was younger there was a local cable station that would show the multi-color solid bars and show local area events calendars on a loop.  Usually the local oldies station was piped in as the audio for the channel.  But occasionally a broadcast from Japan would come through.  I used to entertain myself by laughing at the “profanity” that would come through.  There were some words that sounded like sh*& and f*&k as well as poop and other funny sounding words.  So, listening to foreign languages can be fun, and fun parallels can be drawn, but only if you are completely ignorant of the language. 

Oh, and Ouranos is the Greek god counterpart to Uranus.  Ouranos is always the word used for heaven, because in Greek mythology Ouranos was the male child of Gaea and was physically the sky.  Gaea made Ouranos and then had lots of gods, including the Titans, with Ouranos.  Ouranos never means “high-place” or the “heights”, but can refer to the entirety of the sky.  So, the collective ignorance of this guy and his Rabbi means the Anti-christ is really Baraq Shamayim, whoever that may be!  Lame, just lame!  But people have always justified their prejudice with their “holy” book.

Posted: 16 August 2009 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  120
Joined  2009-07-13

The whole idea of translating only a portion of a text to receive the desired meaning just seems so nonsensical to me.  Once the first part of the statement is translated into English, the second part in Aramaic is no longer compatible with it.

Signature 

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” - Seneca

Posted: 16 August 2009 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2008-02-27

This video is of course ridiculous, but in fairness, the vast, vast majority of Christians wouldn’t buy this.  The ones who would could likely be convinced of anything whether they were Christians or fire breathing atheists. 

I did fing it amusing that the creator of this video is relying on a JEWISH rabbi to confirm his “Christian” interpretation.

Posted: 03 October 2009 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2009-10-03

I love a good comedy video.

Posted: 05 October 2009 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2008-03-08

Just when you think some people have reached the limits of stupidity…