Humanism and Meaning - essays by Lawrence Rifkin
Posted: 19 August 2009 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-08-19

I recently published several essays in Free Inquiry magazine exploring the intersection of humanism, science, and meaning.  The essays examine ways that humanism and science can inform and inspire a sense of human meaning.  They propose a positive and passionate understanding of human meaning in the context of naturalism and reason.  The articles are “Evolutionary Humanism for a New Era” (June/July 2008), “Humanism, Meaning, and Wonder” (Oct/Nov 2008), and “Sublime Naturalism” (Aug/Sept 2009).  This forum represents an opportunity to develop these ideas further.  I welcome discussion and feedback.

Lawrence Rifkin

Posted: 24 March 2010 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2010-03-07

I wish you could post the “meaning of humanism” essays.
I don’t always have access to back issues of magazines.

Or maybe you could post the URL links to the articles if they are on line.

Gary

Posted: 27 March 2010 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7574
Joined  2007-03-02

That would be nice, but not all the articles in Free Inquiry are online, which is bad if you don’t get Free Inquiry.  I get it, but that isn’t much help for those who don’t.  Unfortunately, I don’t remember reading those articles. I’ll have to back in my collection and pull out those issues to read them (again).  They sound like great articles and I can’t imagine not reading them.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

‹‹ 50 Great Atheists      Prayer ››