Class Action Suit
Posted: 17 May 2006 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  508
Joined  2006-04-18

Seriously, isn’t there a way for the GLOBAL population to sue the mass media for its over-hype of current events and the financial and emotional distress the fear heightened info causes?

I have been well pissed off this week at the many ĎKILLER TYPOHOON HEADS TO HONG KONGÓ headlines all over the media (some local).

This typhoon is special only in that it was very early in the season, nothing else. Since I moved here 12 years ago (according to the Hong Kong Observatory Data) I have lived through more than 60 storms, strong enough to activate our typhoon alert system. 42 of those had wind intensity and warning levels equal to Typhoon Chanchu. Typhoon warnings are a regular seasonal thing here. We take precaution and we have a good system in place but we have an average of 5 typhoon warnings each year.

Not to diminish the losses of life and property but the "Killer" part of this storm was human stupidity, primarily that of a ferry boat captain and crew (and probably the passengers own poor choice as well) who sailed AFTER the Philippine government ported all craft. Theses people didn’t die from a typhoon they died from bad judgment.

Aside from the anxiety this sort of rhetoric causes the people in the area, it also causes travelers to avoid our little island due to unwarranted fear. Also it may be that this sort of anthropomorphizing of a storm (killer) gives undue credence to some supernatural explanation while diminishing the real science based fact of what is going on.

Posted: 17 May 2006 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  508
Joined  2006-04-18

Class Action Suit

Seriously, isn’t there a way for the GLOBAL population to sue the mass media for its over-hype of current events and the financial and emotional distress the fear heightened info causes?

I have been well pissed off this week at the many “KILLER TYPOHOON HEADS TO HONG KONG” headlines all over the media (some local).

This typhoon is special only in that it was very early in the season, nothing else. Since I moved here 12 years ago (according to the Hong Kong Observatory Data) I have lived through more than 60 storms, strong enough to activate our typhoon alert system. 42 of those had wind intensity and warning levels equal to Typhoon Chanchu. Typhoon warnings are a regular seasonal thing here. We take precaution and we have a good system in place but we have an average of 5 typhoon warnings each year.

Not to diminish the losses of life and property but the “Killer” part of this storm was human stupidity, primarily that of a ferry boat captain and crew (and probably the passengers own poor choice as well) who sailed AFTER the Philippine government ported all craft. Theses people didn’t die from a typhoon they died from bad judgment.

Aside from the anxiety this sort of rhetoric causes the people in the area, it also causes travelers to avoid our little island due to unwarranted fear. Also it may be that this sort of anthropomorphizing of a storm (killer) gives undue credence to some supernatural explanation while diminishing the real science based fact of what is going on.

Posted: 23 May 2006 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2005-06-28

Hurricane and Florida.
Typhoons and Hong Kong.
Tornadoes and Oklahoma.
Levees breaking in New Orleans, wait that is one you have to worry about.

Signature 

Fighting the evil belief that there is a god(s).