A Conversation
Posted: 07 September 2009 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Yesterday, I had just finished my shower after exercising at the local YMCA and was sitting on a stool at my locker, beginning to get dressed.  Two men in the next aisle over were having a conversation.  It was fascinating, so I sat and listened for a while.  What I found so interesting is that these two guys were trading information quite seriously and each obviously appreciated the insights and intelligence of the other.  The problem was that it was apparent that neither of them had much formal information and neither of them probably had an IQ of above 80 or 90.  Their discussion was inane at best.

This got me to considering that quite probably almost all of us believe we and our conversations are more intelligent than we are, and that someone more intelligent than us may see that our discussions are inane.  For a moment I felt quite inhibited and thought I should shut up rather than appearing dumb.  however, that idea only lasted a few seconds.  I realized that even if my ideas seemed silly to those more intelligent than I, I would be doing them the service of helping them validate their superiority. LOL

Occam

Posted: 07 September 2009 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1759
Joined  2007-10-22
Occam - 07 September 2009 11:15 AM

Yesterday, I had just finished my shower after exercising at the local YMCA and was sitting on a stool at my locker, beginning to get dressed.  Two men in the next aisle over were having a conversation.  It was fascinating, so I sat and listened for a while.  What I found so interesting is that these two guys were trading information quite seriously and each obviously appreciated the insights and intelligence of the other.  The problem was that it was apparent that neither of them had much formal information and neither of them probably had an IQ of above 80 or 90.  Their discussion was inane at best.

This got me to considering that quite probably almost all of us believe we and our conversations are more intelligent than we are, and that someone more intelligent than us may see that our discussions are inane.  For a moment I felt quite inhibited and thought I should shut up rather than appearing dumb.  however, that idea only lasted a few seconds.  I realized that even if my ideas seemed silly to those more intelligent than I, I would be doing them the service of helping them validate their superiority. LOL

Occam[/quotte

Huh?

Gary

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 07 September 2009 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

See what I mean?  LOL

You’re right.  I should have considered it from both directions.

Occam

[ Edited: 07 September 2009 03:42 PM by Occam ]

‹‹ Prayer      Collective Humanism ››