niclite—- any info?
Posted: 14 September 2009 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03

http://www.niclite.com/
I’m not sure where alternative medicine ends and pseudoscience starts….

I got a spam from these guys recently.

I haven’t figured out if they call it homeopathy but it actually has an effective amount of nicotine in their drink,
or if it is a homepathic dose so you are paying for a placebo.

[discussion in JREF forum if you are curious…]

Posted: 14 September 2009 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4081
Joined  2006-11-28

Hard to tell from the website if there’s nicotine in it or not. HERE is an FDA document regarding a product that sounds eerily similar, and that was determined not be homeopathic because it contained measurable amounts of nicotine but which tried to pass itself off as homeopathic to avoid enforcement regulations. Wouldn’t surprise me if the same is happening here.

Despite the claim on the website, I don’t find any signs at FDA that it is an approved product.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 15 September 2009 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Gee, I can’t imagine anyone wanting to ingest the nicotine alkaloid.  Caffeine, sure; tetrahydrocannabinol, maybe; even morphine if one is really in pain, but what does nicotine have to offer beyond closing down one’s arteries and making one a bit more susceptible to heart probems?

Occam

Posted: 16 September 2009 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Is it marketed to help people stop smoking, have the drink instead of a smoke? Or is it marketed as a “pick me up” or energy drink? Curious how they are marketing it.

I cannot click the link from my work computer, due to our computer network filters on “unregulated substances.” I get a message that pops up on my computer saying “You are violating company policy, by clicking on a website selling unregulated substances.”

It’s a pain having a net-nanny at work. When I tried to log onto the Hanes website during my lunch hour to order socks and T-shirts for my kid, a message popped up saying “You are violating company policy, by clicking on a website selling lingerie.” I laughed so hard at that one. The website happens to also sell big old Hanes ladies granny panties, and our net filter calls that lingerie? Ha ha.

Anyhow, if they are marketing the drink as a stop smoking aid, it’s silly. There is already gum and patches available. The patch works wonderfully. I used it years ago, when I wanted to quit smoking before getting pregnant. Worked like a charm. (I tried to quit without a patch earlier, and was a frantic grumpy failure.)

Companies have tried making things like that drink before. There were even nicotine lollipops, which caused an uproar over the fear that children would get hold of them. None of them last on the market very long. Either they are shut down by government, or they don’t sell well.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 16 September 2009 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  633
Joined  2007-12-10

http://tobaccoproducts.org/index.php/NicLite_/_Nicotine_Water#Description

4mg per bottle which is like 5 cigarettes.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 16 September 2009 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Why not just throw five cigarettes in a Coke then seal it up for a couple of days?  Then pour it out through a strainer.  smile

Occam

Posted: 17 September 2009 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  633
Joined  2007-12-10
Occam - 16 September 2009 09:24 PM

Why not just throw five cigarettes in a Coke then seal it up for a couple of days?  Then pour it out through a strainer.  smile

Occam

Sounds delicious ...

Signature 

Dan