1 of 2
So Annoying
Posted: 18 September 2009 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Will someone please spin her around a few times so she forgets where she is?

“Suzanne Somers thinks Patrick Swayze could have been alive today if he would have used alternative methods to treat his pancreatic cancer instead of chemotherapy.”

““They took this beautiful man and they basically put poison in him,” she reportedly said. “Why couldn’t they have built him up nutritionally and gotten rid of the toxins in his body?”

It would be laughable advice if she did not have best-selling healthcare books packed with lies and dangerous advice that countless women follow to the letter. Including her advice to women to take almost 100 vitamins per day, use chelation therapy, inject hormones into their vaginas to “stay young,” skip chemo if they have breast cancer, and use herbs instead:

Ageless: The Naked Truth About Bioidentical Hormones

Breakthrough: Eight Steps to Wellness

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 18 September 2009 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05

I always thought Suzanne Somers was stupid, now I know it. I cannot figure out why anyone would pay attention to a third-rate celebrity whose claim to fame was costarring on a bad television show, but they do. If I weren’t so lazy I’d pound my forehead on my keyboard.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 18 September 2009 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

I hear she gained a cult following while pitching beauty products and jewelry on the home shopping networks. For some reason, women all over the country would order like crazy whenever she showed something. So when she wrote her idiotic and dangerous books, all those “home shopping channel” women across the country ordered the book. Now - dare I say it - Oprah is helping her promote this crap so it’s TWICE as bad.

Why do people take MEDICAL ADVICE from a home shopping channel salesperson instead of their doctor? I will never understand.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 18 September 2009 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Yes, not only did she become famous by starring in a bad sitcom, she became famous starring in a bad sitcom where she played someone STUPID!! Go figure, obviously not far from her true IQ level!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 18 September 2009 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05
Jules - 18 September 2009 07:19 PM

I hear she gained a cult following while pitching beauty products and jewelry on the home shopping networks. For some reason, women all over the country would order like crazy whenever she showed something. So when she wrote her idiotic and dangerous books, all those “home shopping channel” women across the country ordered the book. Now - dare I say it - Oprah is helping her promote this crap so it’s TWICE as bad.

Why do people take MEDICAL ADVICE from a home shopping channel salesperson instead of their doctor? I will never understand.

Sadly, most of her followers have already reproduced, so it is too late to remove them from the gene pool.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 19 September 2009 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Another unfortunate aside:  When those people use her crackpot “remedies” their illnesses progress so they eventually have to have much more expensive medical treatments thereby raising health insurance premiums for everyone.

Occam

Posted: 19 September 2009 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam - 19 September 2009 02:52 PM

Another unfortunate aside:  When those people use her crackpot “remedies” their illnesses progress so they eventually have to have much more expensive medical treatments thereby raising health insurance premiums for everyone.

Occam

Yes, I’ve seen that, then they get angry with ME because the treatment has a lesser chance of working because they waited so long. It causes a confirmation bias because then they say “conventional medicine is no good” and “I’ll never go to a doctor again, they don’t know ANYTHING!” We DO know that if you came to us when you initially found the cancer or infection, we could have cured it. Stage 4 cancer and sepsis with multi organ system failure, is MUCH more of a challenge! And much more costly (as Occam pointed out).

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 19 September 2009 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14

`
Apparently Suzanne missed the interview that Swayze did with Barbara Walters in January 2009 (get ready to applaud:)

`

Swayze did something that pissed the woo-ists off. He gave an interview to Barbara Walters. No, giving an interview to Barbara Walters is not what pissed the woo-ists off. What pissed the woo-ists off was what he said in that interview with Barbara Walters, which was relayed to me by blog bud PalMD, as well as Majikthise. This is what Swayze said:

‘If anybody had that cure out there, like so many people swear they do, you’d be two things. You’d be very rich, and you’d be very famous. Otherwise, shut up’.

`
Abusing celebrities with cancer in order to promote quackery

[ Edited: 19 September 2009 10:54 PM by Axegrrl ]
 Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 20 September 2009 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Wow that’s great! He had common sense. With his advanced cancer, without chemo, he probably wouldn’t have even survived as long as he did after diagnosis. He got to spend a long time saying goodbye and spending his last days with his beloved wife of 34 years (a rarity in Hollywood.)

Sadly, I read that Suzanne Somers has a new book specifically on Cancer coming out shortly, called “Knockout: Doctors who Cure Cancer.” In it she supposedly interviews woo-woo “doctors” to back up her insane claims of rejecting chemotherapy and taking herbs instead. It’s available for pre-order on Amazon.com. Sadly, I fear it will be as much of a bestseller as her other dangerous junk books.

[ Edited: 20 September 2009 08:26 AM by Jules ]
 Signature 

Posted: 20 October 2009 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Reputable scientific theories or theories from people selling coconut oil cancer cures? Please cite the source if possible. I’d like to see the research.

[ Edited: 20 October 2009 07:55 PM by Jules ]
 Signature 

Posted: 20 October 2009 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2008-02-27

The enticing thing about these alternative treatments is they have enthusiastic salespeople and they can discount rational data like scientific studies by claiming the mainstream ignores and derides alternative treatments.  Doctors, being responsible, have to make patients aware of the side effects.  They aren’t really trying to “sell” chemotherapy as much as trying to give the best possible advice which is just not as sexy as a sales pitch.  Unfortunately chemo isn’t exactly a product that can be hawked with enthusiasm.  Imagine a dr in one of those infomercials: “Lose your hair, destroy your immune system, endure weeks of misery and vommiting all to combat a disease that may kill you anyway!”

The hawkers can truthfully say “our coconut oil enemas have no side effects” without having to say “there’s no proof this works whatsoever.”  Instead they find 2 or 3 regular people to talk about the wondrous effects. 

It’s not a totally irrational decision to think to one’s self maybe I can avoid the chemo side effects and still recover like those people on the infomercial.  It’s also easy to say one would not resort to desperate measures when faced with a serious ailment like cancer until actually faced with the dilemma. 

Suzanne Sommers is totally wrong, I don’t know if she believes what she says, but it’s bad enough that she advocates treatments with no proven efficacy.  If she doesn’t believe in what she says, she’s a criminal.  It’s despicable exploitation to hawk snake oil to the desperate. 

Sommers should have stuck with fitness products—something she is qualified to talk about.  “Thank you Thighmaster” is much less dangerous than “Thank you snale oil.”

Posted: 20 October 2009 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  633
Joined  2007-12-10

Natural selection, you take all natural treatments for cancer you get selected. Hopefully Suzanne kills herself with her own snake oil, or better yet completely renounces it when she gets cancer.

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 21 October 2009 05:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Suzanne got breast cancer, but turned down chemotherapy. She had the cancer surgically removed, followed by radiation, then took lots of herbs and spices. She is now on a crusade to stop others from having chemotherapy, since she is convinced that everyone can be “cured” without it. She was VERY lucky to have cancer that had not spread far, and caught it early enough to be removed surgically and radiated. She does not seem to understand that when doctors recommend chemotherapy, it is for a good reason! Not all women with breast cancer need chemotherapy, some only need radiation. The doctors can tell what type of treatment is needed. For all she knows, she still has cancer, since she never finished her recommended treatment.

Signature 

Posted: 22 October 2009 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  2229
Joined  2007-04-26

Here’s a link to an interview between Ann Curry and Suzzane Somers. Curry is one of the few people who I have seen who have actually challenged her on her ideas instead of being a cheerleader, although I still think she could have challenged her on many more points. I guess she did the best she could in the 5 minutes she had.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 22 October 2009 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

LOVE your little comment on the website, under the video. I knew right away which one was yours.  LOL

What is this peptide nonsense she is talking about, that her doctor is curing 60% of his patients with a peptide? I smell a peptide supplement pill business being promoted…

Signature 

Posted: 22 October 2009 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  2229
Joined  2007-04-26

I dont know what the “peptide” is that she’s talking about, but legitimate scientists and physicians dont promote their treatments through Suzanne Somers. They do the research, publish their results in peer reviewed journals, and treat patients with these methods only if the evidence shows that the treatment works better than currently available treatments or has some other advantage.

There is some research that Ive read concerning the use of peptide nucleic acids as immune modulators in the treatment of certain types of cancers and viral illnesses. but I dont believe any of these products are at a stage where they can be recommended as treatments yet. I have to admit Im not an expert on that, but clearly Somers is promoting something that has not yet completed research trials.  Somers seems to not understand how science works. These are not alternative treatments, they are traditional medicine being researched in traditional ways. The only thing “alternative” about what Somers is proposing is that she is promoting a treatment that has not finished all phases of research yet. There is no good reason to do that except that she wants to sensationalize things and look like a rebel.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

1 of 2